Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Thinoptics" advertising.

Options
  • 13-10-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭

www.thinoptics.com

After reading the above, from their online shop and paying in euros, is it unreasonable to expect customs to be taken care of, seems not.

Customs and VAT charged as normal and Thin optics, said yeah, they don't have control over customs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, I'd read that as the item arriving customs cleared (which they could set themselves up to do) - customs and VAT being charged on delivery does not match with "all duties and taxes already included" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I read it exactly as you did, but DHL read it as give me €22 if you want your package. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The first thing you need to do is check out where they are located. A lot of websites give no hint as to where they are - often all you get when you click on 'Contact Us' is a blank form to fill in with your query. You can hope for a reply but you have no phone number, no e-mail address and no bricks and mortar address.

You can't say that about these people, they make no secret of the fact that they are based in California https://www.thinoptics.com/contact/ and their help desk (phone no. and e-mail address supplied) hours are stated in PST (Pacific Standard Time). So how did you figure they would have paid Irish duties and VAT?

If you order from outside the EU, this will almost always happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's all a bit vague. As well as the greeting screen you got above, I added something to the basket and went to check out and got:

"The total amount you pay includes all applicable customs duties & taxes. We guarantee no additional charges on delivery." (I added a pair of readers for €22, and shipping of €14 was added, coming to €36, which, based on the initial screen and what's written under the total of €36 would lead me to expect that there wouldn't be anything extra charged by customs/couriers.

However, in their FAQs it says:

Will you ship international orders?

Yes, we do ship internationally via DHL. Availability, shipping rates and fees may vary depending on the delivery address for your order. Your packages may be subject to the customs fees and import duties of the country to which your order ships. These charges are always the recipient's responsibility.

I'd certainly be contacting them asking what the hell is going on , and how to claim the €22 back on their "guarantee of no additional charges". Let them sort it out with DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

DHL didn't read it, and it would have no relevance if they did. They have an obligation to collect duty that hasn't been paid.

Your dispute is with Thinoptics, who claim that if you buy from them, there is no further duty owed. This is probably a straight-up lie

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I musn't have made myself clear, I know perfectly well that Thin optics are located in USA, I have ordered from them before and paid the customs before, and yes I know about customs in the small print blah blah.

Of course I know, DHL are only collecting what the customs form says on it.

I am already wearing the glasses and paid the customs, as with previous orders from them, no big deal.

However what I was pointing out, is that for a well known company, it looks like they have made every effort to at best mislead, at worst lie. They

1. Identify that they know you are in Ireland
    2. Charge you in euros
    3. Tell you that "all duties and taxes are already included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd still contact them point out their "guarantee" of no additional charges on delivery, and ask how they'd like to send you the €22 refund under that guarantee. Send them the screenshots of the welcoming splash, and the checkout piece.

Advertisement