Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand new home... complete blank canvas. Ride along? :)

Options
  • 13-10-2021 1:13pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all... just dipping my toe into home automation.

I'm moving house, (to Portugal... don't hate the playa :P :) )... so I've a completely blank canvas and a budget that is reasonably flexible! I'm intent on creating a well automated home for me and my partner. I figured I could use some help, and also it might be an informative project for anyone else starting out.

So first, let me set the boundary conditions! :) My partner is NOT good with tech and so everything has to fail over gracefully as they will be there sometimes on their own. We will have guests, a lot of guests, of varying levels of comfort with tech. We wont always be there so remote access is valued.

The house:

There are basically 6 main areas: The master bedroom, guest bedroom, rooftop apartment, kitchen, pool area and office. The office is about 12 metres from the house, so range might be an issue there.

Automations:

I'd like lights automated throughout the house, both with motion sensors, voice, app and physical switches.

Roomba or equivalent.

Music in each room.

Cameras for security in the main areas.

Doorbell with basic camera options for remote viewing.

Choices to date.

So, I've done a lot of research and investigation. Here's where I am at the moment. I've got internet there, with an ISP router. I'm going to build a Google Mesh Wifi network throughout the house as the network infrastructure. It seems simple and easily extensible.

Through this I'm going to connect mutiple Amazon Dots, Echos and Firecube (for the main room and TV) as the hub of the system. I dont think I need a SmartThings hub for what I'm going to do but I may add one later.

For lights I'm planning to go with Philips Hue. They seem the best if a touch pricey. I dont mind the price tooooo much so long as they are reliable. The other half is NOT going to be happy if my tinkering leaves them in the dark :). I like the detachable switches that can be put in place for the tech-unfriendly guests or detached for portability, thats a nice feature. I'm going to buy a bunch of movement sensors to automate the lights and for some advanced stuff (like strip lighting under the bed that comes on low at night when someone gets out of bed to go to the jacks)

I have a Spotify professional account so I will connect that in, but I dont have smart speakers yet, mostly for the pool area. Any suggestions welcome.

I dont have cameras chosen for the security.. do Philips do these as part of Hue? Otherwise, any Amazon compatible cams will do I guess, but I do want to be able to have them trigger scenes if movement is detected when we are not there.

Ive looked at a dozen doorbells and they are all very confusing. I dont want to pay a subscription for my doorbell (wtf?!) I just want to be able to see who is at the door and alert us if there is movement.

So this is where I am and what I intend... any comments, suggestions, warnings??

I have some specific questions:

1. Google Mesh... anyone used it? I hear good things but I'm concerned about the distance from Office to Pool area (about 12m direct line of sight).
    2. Anyone recommend smart speakers with some power to them?
    3. Any recommendations for a basic doorbell with cam and remote viewing?
    4. Indoor security cams... Do Philips do these or any recommendations for Amazon ready ones?
    5. Am I mad or does this all seem like it should work easily enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

more technically proficient people will have more detailed responses possibly, but this is my 2 cents worth

I have the first version of the google mesh network - 1 primary + 5 access and it just works. very easy to set up

eufy for the security cameras indoor and outdoor and door bell - from what i can see, best value for money when they go on sale. I have the standalone camera installed at our garage (previous version to this) and have to set up these too

philips hue for the lighting - expensive, but often on sale so patience

use the amazon devices for music access along with the new 15" show as a great central unit - sonos if you want higher end quality

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I went for those Eufy cameras (the stand alone ones, not the outside cam just yet) as they look pretty excellent!

I neglected to check if they can be access remotely (ie from Ireland!) but I presume so?

Advertisement