Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Update - October 2021

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They will allow anything which meets BAI requirements and is prepared to pay.

Almost nobody in the UK watches GB "news", why would anyone want that sewage on air here?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

What a waste of electricity IMO.🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm sure there would be political ramifications of allowing a hard right British nationalist channel on Saorview.

Hence the mention of BAI requirements. I doubt they'd be turning the sort of blind eye the so-called regulator Ofcom now does.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I could see Jacob Rees Mogg using a small portion of his immense wealth to pay for GB News to go on Saorview just to piss us off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When GB News begun it's channel during the pandemic. It did say near the beginning of the launch that they were only focusing on matters related to the UK only.

That implied to me at the time that they were not interested in bringing the channel to The Republic of Ireland.

The same sentiments could apply to Talk TV as well. However I don't know if Rupert Murdoch has a similar approach now about the Irish ad market when he his the owner of Talk TV which also broadcasts in the UK only.

A lot of people here are still using his old Sky Satellite platform to watch the TV channels and streaming platforms as their main TV service in their own homes. That tells me that his legacy still has a very big influence in the broadcasting space here in Ireland.

It is a big reason why Sky News is provided for Saorview users here in Ireland. It is still a recognisable news service for lots of people here when it comes from our nearest neighbours in the UK. And Challenge will follow suit with it's inclusion on the platform from this Wednesday.

Well there's already not one but two religious radio stations on Saorview bankrolled by shadowy unaccountable groups. Shouldn't be allowed. All other broadcasters have all sorts of hoops to jump through to get on air and strict regulations about content.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

For GB News or Talk TV to appear on Saorview, they would require at least a broadcasting licence from an EU country. Can't see that happening for some reason. 🧐

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just went to put on CHALLENGE for a look. It seems to have disappeared even though the logo was there all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Strange. Channel 8 has completely vanished on mine. I'll try and retune later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is still there for me on the Triax TSC 114.

The one good thing about it is that Challenge came up for me automatically on the Saorview EPG. I didn't have to retune it.

Yeah, it was on mine all week until today 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The picture quality on Challenge on Saorview is similar to what was reported when Sky News launched - subjected to some sort of conversion process which gives the effect of line mismatch in the horizontal resolution. At the moment, I have better picture quality from my 20-year-old generic satellite receiver. The quality of Sky News on Saorview has since improved dramatically into something very acceptable, so I hope Challenge will be given the same treatment.

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Same has happened to me

Back to being a hidden channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

What receiver are you using?

Just wondering is it Saorview approved or are Saorview/2rn using some new technology, thanks

Normal Saorview TV. About three years old.

I retuned and it came back. Really strange the way it disappeared the day it went live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Same as me . Retuned on sunday

2 year old Saorview approved TV

Rest of non approved TV's updated automictically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

With sky news on Saorview. Why put other news channels on saorview too like cnn BBC World news TV france 24 English news dw English news and CGTN news in English from China and also too BBC World service radio news. Would it be far better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Saorview can't just put on any channel if they feel like it. It's up to those channels to pay for carriage on Saorview if they want to be available on it.

All of the channels suggested are free to air on satellite anyway for the few who are actually bothered to watch them.

Scrap the cap!

Seems to be the majority in my area even though it's a cable TV area, in uncabled areas it'd be higher

Scrap the cap!

Not around here. The rich have Sky, the poor have Saorview, feck all in between except All4 etc online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

IIRC the penetration of the television channels BBC 1 & 2 into home in the Republic of Ireland a few years ago was estimated to be standing at 90% of all residential households in the state.

While a small few will be hobbled by restrictions or reception barriers, many people that want to watch BBC TV services in the Republic free-to-air without paying an ongoing subscription can get it via satellite without a massive expense - either a Sky Zone 1 dish or a standard 45-60cm satellite dish, the appropriate LNB, a length of RG6 cable and a cheap FTA satellite receiver (bound to still be plenty lying around after the kaboosh was put on card sharing "gift" activities a few years back) linked to the telly with a HDMI cable - with the addition of ITV, Channel 4, & Channel 5 station families as well as numerous other smaller channels. Satellite TV is much more than just Sky.

Advertisement