Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't seem to turn off email notifications on Windows 10

Options
  • 13-10-2021 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

This feature has come in since I've changed my PC hard drive. It means I can't escape the distraction of my emails even when I have hotmail closed. I can't seem to remove the bloody thing bottom off the screen, but I think I have chosen it to be 'off' as you can see in the print screen here. But I still should be able to remove the icon for it from the bar at the bottom of the screen. Below is a screen shot of the bottom right of the screen. Does anybody know how to remove it?

Also, is there anything I can do about the volume noise windows makes when you change the volume? It makes a noise which lasts about a whole 3 seconds. Very annoying if you're listening to music and that insidious (out of key) noise comes in over it.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

First, I think you misunderstand what Focus Assist means. With that option turned off, it means all notifications are allowed.

Just open the Settings app, then System -> Focus Assist. Read the description.

I am not sure this is the way to remove Hotmail notifications, since I do not use Hotmail.

As for the latter, you can do one of two things. You can reduce the volume of all System Sounds. This appears as a separate slide in Volume Mixer (right-click the Speaker icon in your Taskbar, select Open Volume Mixer). This will affect all system sounds.

Another way to go about this is to change the sound played, e.g. something shorter than 3 seconds. For this, open Settings -> System -> Sound and then click on Sound Control Panel. You can also search for Change System Sounds if you know how.

In this applet, the Sounds tab allows you to select which sound effects are played for certain events. The one you're probably annoyed by is the default sound for Asterisk. You can change this to something short, or even set it to None. There are a bunch of files here, including the classics from Windows 95 (tada.wav).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Thank you,

As I have you there, would you be able to tell my my PC keeps switching back from 'Irish Keyboard' to 'US Keyboard'? Is there anyway to permanently change it? It seems to stay on one format for an hour or so and then it switches back by itself. I have the regional format set as 'English (Ireland)', but I don't think that has anything to do with the keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I think the US Keyboard was the default one installed, and Irish was added as an option.

If you look under Settings -> Time & Language -> Language, you will probably see these two under preferred languages, with US as #1 and Irish as #2. If your keyboard is Irish, you could move Irish to top (click on it, then click the up arrow button), then remove US completely. Then Irish will be the sole language installed.

However, the "keep switching back" is likely your input error: by pressing Win+Space, you can change between the two. You probably press this accidentally. I know it happens to me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Thanks a lot,

That worked. The windows display language still shows up as 'English (United States)' but it's not switching back by itself.

Advertisement