Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Look I really don’t give a toss if they let the group that killed Lyra McKee present the next sam Maguire, but I will call out their sectarianism when they don’t condemn events like this on their premises.

I don’t think the were in the Psni car park or the shop premises, but maybe you know differently

But this event went ahead without the gaa go ahead?

Who exactly in the gaa,do you feel yous are calling out??....whole thread has a old man shouting at clouds vibe tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Aren't the psni well known as supporters of dissidant republicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

See that's your ultimate problem downcow, you imagine too much

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hey dickhead , do you not feel slightly uncomfortable bringing up Lyra McKees name to drag your joke out further , you’re a sick fucker

• Registered Users Posts: 68,572 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They trespassed. You know this yet you continue describing it as 'sectarian of the GAA' who disassociated themselves and spelt out they had no permission to do what they did. You also made the claim that the townsfolk and business folk were complicit because they did not complain to the Parades Commission.

Francie you are on a beaten docket.

the GAA have not condemned it.

the towns folk managed to stop loyalist parades because they didn’t want loyalists in their village. The did not stop republican parades because the either wanted them or they were apathetic to them.

the truth is a real bollocks isn’t it 😂

the towns folk managed to stop loyalist parades because they didn’t want loyalists in their village

I think we have reached the crux of the issue here....took a while,mind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is and was no sectarianism involved here.

nothing to call out.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Is there not anything better you can concoct? But I guess that is the final acceptance you guys are just playing games.

If you are ok with it then I’ll not lose sleep. I would be disgusted If OWC would not condemn the Uvf using their facilities. But we have different aspirations clearly

The Parades Commission stops parades downcow on foot of objections or a history of or the possibility of trouble, not the townsfolk. That is what the PC is for, to arbitrate where parades are causing trouble and tensions.

You claimed the townsfolk had not objected to this march (which as far as I know, caused no trouble) what 'source' did you base this claim on?

Was this a 'guess' too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Can anyone tell me what these trespassing gimps actually did other than make themselves look like knobs in fancy dress?

I still can't understand why anyone thinks it is the responsibility of individual citizens to police this. When there are riots in East Belfast I wouldn't expect Unionists who are not involved in any of that kind of carry on to feel responsible that they must go there and physically tackle the perpetrators and stop the violence. Downcow appears to think that all GAA members all around the world are culpable that they didn't physically stop aforementioned gimps from trespassing.

The PSNI were at this fancy dress parade and didn't intevene even though I have seen no threats of threatened or actual violence. I don't have a right to go into a GAA club and physically remove another person from it. Even if it is my GAA club. If some gimp tresspasses onto my property, I don't even have an automatic right to physically accost them and remove them. My only right is to first ask them to leave. If some gimp in fancy dress and a beret saunters into my garden, I can't run up behind them and hit them a smack ... unless I want to be done for assault.

downcow, let's suppose you are a Manchester United supporter. Some Liverpool fans travel for a game and get a little boisterous and start acting the bollix in the stadium while the police look on. A number of them were actually banned from the ground previously and some of them don't even have tickets as they were able to push through past stewards. They are throwing chips and rubbish and drinks around and roaring racist abuse at some players. The police are happy not to intervene so as to prevent possible escalation as they feel they have them on camera and can track them down later. Are you under any obligation, as a fee paying member of the fan club, to go over there and physically put them out of the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Don’t forget that the Irish Independent/Sunday World reported he was Irish.

Simple condemnation is all this was required. No policing etc

Tell me what they did on the GAA ground which, on a standalone basis, necessitates condemnation.

Dressed up like gimps and had some photos of some men who died on a hunger strike?

How many were arrested? If none, can you give a reason for that?

The GAA president vociferously condemned dissidents when a club member was killed - Ronan Kerr. He was a member of the PSNI.

The fact is the GAA will condemn and give no succour to violent dissidents when it involves them or affects them, as they should. Otherwise they stay out of politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Hate this rubbish. "It's terrible but sure them uns are at the same craic".

Take responsibility for your own actions, that kind of rubbish (parading in paramilitary gear) has no place in 2021, let alone inside the grounds of a GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You’re falling for a loon spreading shite , the gaa have nothing to do with this

are the mods having a nap ?

I don't mind downcow's posts. They usually have a different perspective, one which is a little alien to me but it is no harm to have that. I don't usually agree with them but I don't mind their posts and I'm happy to debate with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ah, unionism. Once upon a time they could send in the tans to open fire on spectators and players. Now it's just impotent ****-stirring in an effort to generate controversy at the sight of some stupid looking, cosplaying larpers posing for pictures in a car park. That's quite the fall if you ask me but there's 13 pages of it so that's an achievement of sorts, I suppose.

You just don’t get it. Non GAA population looking on at GAA grounds being used by a republican terrorists organisation and not one word of condemnation or statement that they were not welcome.

I understand the GAA thinks it’s too sensitive and would annoy some members but these nettles need grasped.

That’s a fair comment Donald but I do have to say that I have been surprised by many (the majority) on this thread who are arguing that a sporting body can stay silent about a violent partisan paramilitary group using their premises to a parade in paramilitary dress.

it beggars belief with me, but its why I find this thread useful as I learn more about the perspectives which cover this island. I sometimes think unionists are from Mars and republicans are from Venus.

I honestly don’t know a single unionist who would not want clear and swift condemnation if Uvf / uff used the car park of a sporting organisation for a display. Then again my community refused to elect groups connected to sectarian killers and most still cannot understand why republicans are happy to elect republican killers to high office.

But I appreciate your acceptance of my right to participate on this forum. Some posters are clear that they despise unionist voices on it which is sad and makes me assume that they despise unionists on this island.

there are several who continually report me to try to keep my views off, initially with some success, but I think their game is up on that strategy.

a quick search will evidence that I joined this forum in good faith through an interest in farming and to engage with likeminded folk across the island. I am still surprised how quickly I was shocked by the levels of sectarianism and/or naivety towards my community and how I got sucked in to trying to both learn and educate. No doubt some day I will get tired of some of the bigoted attitudes and move along. I must say though that I admire those from nationalist/republican communities on here who challenge the nonsense.

as for my reason for continuing to engage with the few out-and-out bigots on here; my dad always said ‘you can get knowledge from a fool’, I guess the same applies to a bigot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Can you show where the IFA condemned the unionist mural that was linked a few pages back?

Can you show your thread at the time that condemned it?

Can you show the protest by unionists about it?

No problem answering your 3 questions clearly.

firstly to confess I don’t know much about it. I learnt about it here yesterday and googled it.

1) I am not aware if they condemned it or not. This is not an IFA owned facility. The facility is owned by the nationalist controlled city council with the shinners as the biggest party. The Shinners were able to send in masked contractors in to remove the kids portacabin but couldn’t address the mural https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/east-belfast-fc-portacabin-removed-15502593.amp.

you will see from the article I posted earlier that it was the actual ifa supported football club that negotiated the removal of the mural. Excellent work and a real gesture to visiting clubs.

2) I said clearly a few pages back that I am disgusted if the ifa did not condemn it. I honestly don’t know if they did.

3) unionists didn’t just protest. They got it removed 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

1) So since the IFA don't own the pitch you are saying its not really their responsibility? Yet you think the GAA should step in and condemn something that happened without permission on grounds that they dont own?

im not sure what a council removing a dangerous portacabin has to do with teh subject.

2) so you didnt care enough about that to even look up if they condemned it but you care enough about the parade to not only look it up but also start a thread about it.

3) after months and numerous complaints the mural was removed. Since the parade lasted far less time than that with far fewer complaints you should also be happy with the outcome here.

• Advertisement

Who was the GAA President being sensitive about when he said this about a dissident killing on Tyrone GAA's website? Take your time spinning it downcow as I am sure you will attempt to.

It is difficult to comprehend how a young man with the best interests of our community at heart and who contributed so positively to our community could be attacked in this way. His death demeans humanity and is detrimental to the development of a shared future based on mutual respect. In a rights conscious society there is no greater right than the right to life and the need to protect it.

The GAA has a long standing and publicly stated policy of opposition to violence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement