Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre installation query - home entry point

Options
  • 14-10-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm getting FTTH with Eir. The engineer will call out tomorrow to do the site survey and install the line. It will be an overhead connection as no ducts in our area.

Question: Do I have much say on where the engineer will route the line into and through the house, and where he will install the modem?

Our existing broadband connection comes in through the back of the house. The internal cable then runs through our open plan living area to a central spot in the house. Easy.

I'm hoping the engineer will do a similar install, but I fear he may tell me he needs to go in the front of the house (shortest route to install) which would be ok, except the internal route to the point where the current modem is would be more awkward (walls / doors / etc in the way).

Can I insist he goes in the back, where the existing line accesses? It would be a longer path from the street, so I think he might resist.

I'm just trying to arm myself for a discussion tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Officially they install the ONT 1m from the house entry point, beside a power socket.

I don't have it myself but reading the install posts here over the years most installers can be very obliging and will discuss the install with you and may be ok to follow the existing route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I believe it is 1m max from the house entry too.

There is a way though , they could clip cable to the external wall , run it along foundation to the back of the house and make house entry there. Shouldn’t be a problem, I had it done similar way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 conorking

Thanks for your comments. My current house entry is already at the back of the house, so that will hopefully be their default entry point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 conorking

Just to provide an update, I got the install done today. The KN engineer was very accommodating and routed the external cable around the house to the rear, so it could enter where my existing network cables did. (He initially wanted to put it in through the front of the house, but this would have been awkward to connect to my existing devices due to furniture and layout of the rooms, etc.)

Advertisement