Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave symbol for empty tomb?

Options
  • 14-10-2021 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Does this carving on a grave symbolise Jesus' empty tomb?

or what does it signify, could a carving of the lamb of god fallen out, there multiples of this. on graves in Glasnevin

https://imgur.com/a/qwFwTr1

Post edited by pjcb on

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

About a decade ago, there was a spike in metal theft including bronze WW1 'Dead Mens' Pennies' prised from headstones.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Perhaps a question to be directed to the Glasnevin Cemetery Museum, they have a section dedicated to the various symbols I believe and I have seen them answer queries in relation to specific symbols on graves on their Facebook page in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My guess is that - as you suggest yourself - it's a inset in which a metal plaque was mounted, probably with an image of the Agnus Dei. You know the one - the lamb is lying down, facing left, has a foreleg crooked either around a cross, or around a staff on which is mounted a white banner with a red cross.

If you look on the back of the headstone, or on the plinth on which it's mounted, there's often the name of the masons who supplied it. There may have been a firm of masons who supplied a design with a mounted plaque of this kind.

Advertisement