Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narcotics Annonymous

Options
  • 15-10-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any dealings with N.A./A.A.?

Was looking for a bit of advice.....

Was going to attend an N.A. meeting soon but some of my clients could be there also which would put me in an awkward position. I would have fears re confidentiality etc.

Should I just forget about it or say '**** it, I don't care' and go anyway? Any advice would be appreciated. At the end of the day I'm not doing anything wrong and might benefit from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I think you will be fine. You have identified that is something you want or need to do. Prioritise yourself and go.

Everyone there will be in the same boat.

Not to sound too cheesy - but well done for taking the step and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i know a chap that went to aa meetings in another town, it was for similar reasons, said he was better off cause of it, maybe this is an option for you?

Go for it..

Everyone is there for the same reason, so wouldn't worry about confidentiality..

It works for a lot of people..

You don't have to say anything your first few meetings if you don't want to..

Best of luck with it anyway..

I'm hitting on 5 years clean down to them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Thanks for the replies. I don't drive so it would be my local one.

I'm just worried about meeting my clients and being in an awkward situation but yes everybody would be in the same boat. Like people wouldn't be there unless they had problems too.

Hopefully I'll get the courage to go...

I'm having second thoughts from a professional point of view which is a pity.

It's a bit like a Dr going to a support group whose patients are there.

I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I understand your concerns completely, and I think they are valid. Unfortunately people are not that decent although we wish they are. It's important in a situation like this you can relax in the group and can trust, otherwise it makes no sense at all to take part.

I think your only option is, as mentioned, going to a group in a different town. it's possible to get to other destinations without a car, it is just more of an effort. If you really want it you need to find a way to get to another town, be it by bike, public transport or finding a lift.

Yeah thanks but my clients will be from all over. It dosen't matter what location I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are you looking for an excuse not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is what it sounds like to me too.

Even if some of your clients are there, the whole point of the group is that absolutely nothing leaves the room. The clue is in the "Anonymous" part of the name. Yes, you have to trust that people will uphold their end of the bargain, but from my understanding of NA/AA, the confidentiality part is pretty much sacrosanct.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Zoom OP. You don't even need to be in the same country 😉

Not sure if your male or female but WIM (women's international meeting) run 24hrs which is a godsend for many. Have you looked into CA (cocaine anonymous)? They are not cocaine specific, any md altering drug, alcohol included. I know an American guy who's 'Home' group is in Offaly 🙂

>>Mod snip<< Please do not send or suggest PMs be exchanged on the basis of a thread IN PI/RI it is strictly against the Charter.

HS

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

• Advertisement

Well if you could trust people to do the right thing.

I'm more concerned with my safety because of the job that I do. It's a valid concern.

Gonna bite the bullet and go to this tonight.....

12 weeks off drugs but miss them terribly. Hopefully listening and talking to people who understand will help. If I manage to talk...

good luck to you, hope it all works out well, you don't have to talk if you don't want to I think. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Why not use the zoom online meetings option?

A friend of mine is going thru the same thing right now so logs into Cork sessions. In his opinion, most people don't sound like they are from Cork.

Will have to learn how to use it first. It's easy when you know how. I've never done a video chat before.

Thanks very much Tara.

I chickened out. I got there but couldn't bring myself to go inside.

I will try to go again next week. This time I will try and get there early.

Ah, at least you got that far man..if you manage to go in next week how bad!..and if you're 12 weeks clean you're in a much better position than most when they go first..it should help though..Best of luck with it anyway..

ah, can relate to it, think we all had situations like this chickening out in the last minute. every day we feel different, maybe next time you will have the courage.

but what's with this online suggestion, someone mentioned that he or a friend is taking part in a group in the US or somewhere. I much prefer meeting up with 'real people' but maybe in this case this is a good alternative for you if there are online groups available?

edit: just seen it was mentioned again, the online thing. it's the easiest thing to do, you just need a computer/laptop with camera and sound system (standard these days). They send you a link where you click on and off you go. And if there are any technical problems, they will sort them with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Apache, what sort of equipment do you have access to? Do you have a laptop? Phone? Tablet? All of the above will help you access an online meeting.

To do it on my phone would be the best. I'll have a look at the sites and the links and figure it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement