Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a tank for Christmas

Options
  • 15-10-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi all

my two girls are asking Santa for a tank for Christmas so we're looking at the Leddy 60 (54 litre). Originally we had intended on asking for goldfish but after reading a lot on here it looks like it is too small for even two goldfish so we are going to go down the smaller warm water fish now instead. I'm new to this but I've been reading up a lot on cycling the water first and the guy in the local fish store (where Santa will be purchasing local from) said to cycle the water first in a large garden bucket/tub and then it will be ready to go into the tank (once it is in it's resting place).

If anyone has any advice on a set up like this or has done it before then I'd love to hear any tips or recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Cycle in a bucket/tub? That's not cycling. You cycle a fishtank by putting water in your tank, turning the filter on and leaving it on 24/7, adding your dechlorinator and your biological enhancer. You then do a 25% water change after a week and add your dechlorinator and biological enhancer again. You continue this each week. A tank is normally cycled between 2-6 weeks. Any good aquarium pet shop can do a water test to ensure your tank is safe for fish to go in to.

You cannot cycle a fish tank properly without the filter being involved, the filter media inside (usually a sponge of some sort) is where the good bacteria attaches itself onto.

What the pet shop told you about a bucket is absolute nonsense. It really bothers me that you can be given harmful misinformation by someone you feel you should (rightly so) trust to give you the correct information.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks for the reply VonVix. I was wondering about the advice too! He did say about having the heater and filter in the tub but I'm looking at all options now with Christmas only a few weeks away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What species of fish are you interested in getting? Setting up a fish tank is a bit of a process, it's not really something that can be all done really quickly. I'm personally a fan of planted tanks (it's not as daunting as you may think), I have a wee 40l planted fishtank that has endler guppies, shrimp and snails.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement