Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APN settings

Options
  • 15-10-2021 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I recently got Eir mobile broadband and it's fine but I see GoMo are cheaper so was thinking of seeing if my Eir SIM card could be made to work in an old Vodafone modem, just got a couple of questions:-

When I login to the Eir modem, the APN profile is set to broadband.mymeteor.ie - why would this be the case?

The old Vodafone router is 3G only, would that impact the speed very much?

Also would the Vodafone modem accept the GoMo SIM card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

GoMo is a MNVO on the Eir netowrk and owned by Eir - hence they are using the APNs as Eir

Its very possibly that the speeds will be much lower than 4G

3G is 7.2 Mbps down but I would assume that its possibly a 3G HSPA+ modem which has a theoretical max download speed of 42 Mbps while 4G is 150 Mbps (4G/LTE-A is 300 Mbps)

Its very likely that the modem is actually locked to the Vodafone network and whether you can get an unlock code from them, I don't know. You may be able to get one online

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Thanks, looks like Meteor was taken over or bought by Eir some time ago, that might be why the APN name still hasn't been updated. I did get the Eir SIM card working in the old modem and only got around 2MB dl speed, might have been a network issue but with the new Eir modem I'm getting around 20MB, if you place it in the right spot by the window 😀

Advertisement