Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much has the site tanked...

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We don't allow discussions of Irish cases under investigation however I have never heard of stopping anyone talking about a US case.

The recent Laundrie case was definitely discussed. Madeline McCann was also discussed (which is still an open investigation).

I think the phrase blanket rule was hauled out to justify modding that was way OTT and nonsensical. Blanket bans seem to be as unevenly applied as any subjective call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Why is it still so slow?Before the migration it seemed fairly nippy

What was gained in the migration that means we have to pay for it with this unresponsiveness.?

This is my first complaint since the migration as I assumed it had to be teething problems but it seems to have set in for good :-(

Just posting this was a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don't want to dogpile on the criticisms, because I feel it's become too much like shooting fish in a barrel.

So I'll with the positives. Initially, I found the sites new interface really annoying. Now, it's grown on me. But there are still some issues.

I like how I can interact with the site in a similar fashion to Word. I like how it's easier to do stuff like italicise or underline. Inserting images are also easier (it took me a few attempts).

But what's sort of frustrating is that I used to get email alerts to let me know what was posted. It kept me up to date. Unfortunately, that seems to have disappeared. I wish they'd come back.

I think you can set that. I have email alerts turned totally off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Great site, great place to find information on so many topics. Took me a few weeks after the upgrade to get used to the changes but it seems fine now. Hopefully it will stay around for many more years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

There has been legal issues in the past that snowballed for the site quite badly. better safe than sorry

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Broadly speaking, there's no proper protections for websites for things like defamation or contempt of court/prejudicing a case. So if someone attempts to either reveal info about a case while it's underway, that would potentially sway jurors, or violates a court order e.g. naming juvenile suspects, then it's boards.ie that could be sued or held liable. The result is no discussion of cases that are before the courts. It's the same for legal and medical advice, and hence those have had to be banned sitewide too.

There was one landmark thread in Personal Issues about 7 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Really?

The only one I'm aware of is a legal threat from MCD over a music festival years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That wasn't a threat, MCD did sue boards.ie.

The office receives a legal threat once a week or so.

What about the Video Games Convention at the Convention Centre near the Custom House? Thread about that was removed too! The whole thing has been scrubbed off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

If that's the case, denying the moderators the very tools that might help Boards out of trouble makes even less sense.

We still have the basic tools to moderate, such as removing posts, closing/removing threads, which are what's needed in the vast majority of cases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Only if you are in a position to read every single post on the site. We have basic tools but have no way to utilise them effectively

A bit off topic I feel but moderation is extremely important and my idea is to have an army of volunteer sub mods to cope with the demand and to be sure that every suspect post is given the attention it deserves.

That mightn't address legal issues but might ensure that they never arose for any reason of lack of manpower.

Anonymity is a problem on the internet but there are

• Registered Users Posts: 34,905 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

one mod will hand down a few months for calling a public figure a clown

Not sure what you're hoping to gain by continually misrepresenting what happened to you. You got banned not for one post but for repeated breaches of the rules, Soccer is strictly moderated for a host of reasons and you agreed that you understood the rules and the totting-up procedure when you signed up for access to Soccer.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Its not strictly moderated.

It's unevenly moderated.

A poster could call Stephen Kenny a clown and there wouldn't be a reaction at all. The mods were so fixed on Liverpool ManU stuff during the season that threads on the national side were just ignored, and posts like "Mickey Mouse manager from Mickey Mouse league" type trolling efforts would go wholly unchecked.

Possibly but the standard of posting in general in the national team threads and LOI threads is a lot more mature than the Pool/United threads so maybe the mods recognise that.

Ireland and GLITW threads are the only ones in soccer I post in and there are rarely any issues to report. I have seen mods step in on occasion though.

A busy forum moderated by multiple humans with different opinions can never be absolitely uniformly moderated. To achieve uniformity would require paid employees doing training courses on corporate policies etc. All we can ask is that things are done broadly in line with boards policies and the forum charters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

You can avoid all of that by not calling anyone a clown, even if you, me and everyone else in the world thinks they are. Just make life easier for the mods by not stepping over the line, even when it's frustrating to see others do so. I always think of it just like real life. I see Bus Laners every day in town and it's so annoying knowing that most of the time they get away with it, I choose not to do it because I know it's the right thing to do.

Twenty minutes to rotate the front page!! Used to be two!

Advertisement