Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are healthcare workers becoming more rude and obnoxious?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Evidently you didn't read the opening post where they exclaimed they couldn't tell if the Asian was a man or a woman.

I've no sympathy for edgits but plenty for the carers who have to deal with them.

If more people acted like this then we wouldn't have any carers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

The problem here is that people like OP get free reign to go around and abuse workers for basically any reason. In his post alone he highlights race, gender and foreign nationals and wanting to physically assault workers, possibly because of their race and gender.

it is entirely obvious what kind of entitled loser the OP is. And Im entirely inviting said loser to prove that he can ‘sink his fist’ into someone.

if people like OP got cracked in the head the moment they start having intrusive thoughts about people who arent white or male imagine the discipline he’d be instilled.

no this isnt about the worker telling his relative to sit in the wheelchair properly, which is standArd f*cking procedure, its about some entitled deranged idiot wanting to punch workers because of their race and gender.

People have empathy for the worker, not the entitled moron.

You mean the "entitled moron" whose great crime is to advocate for his ill family member against rude and dismissive people who are supposed to be professionals in health care, and who are only getting a snapshot of what he is dealing with every day?

And you want to crack his head open against a footpath, for expressing his frustration?

You've a strange way of looking at things.

So basically the story boils down to a worker telling their relative to sit in the chair properly to avoid injury and OP’s response was to nearly assault the worker because he doesnt like an uppity foreigner who might be female.

go ahead tell this story on the radio and see how people will digest it.

the fact of the matter is, OP wanted to punch someone for their race and gender.

you get zero sympathy. Go ahead tell everyone how you want to punch women. Tell me in real life.

Obviously you don't know what transgender means.

You need to read the paragraph again. The OP didn’t say they wanted to punch the Asian persons face. And they say their parent was admonished not given polite safety advice.

So, you're engaging with someone who you have no empathy for by luring them into a fight through a process of entrapment while threatening to use violence as part of your plan to discipline them. Which department do you work for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they were the kind of people who responded to incentives, they wouldn't be working in the public healthcare system in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

In any large organisation/profession you are going to get a wide range of people and personalities. Some good some not so good.

I have had plenty of dealings with health system over the years mostly with elderly parents and while most experiences have been largely positive there were exceptions. I would never though make sweeping suggestions that all or most health care workers are uncaring or obnoxious. That is simply not the case. Some people have their mind made up so will always see the negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

There's little point in telling someone with dementia to do anything at all. They simply do not understand and usually cannot follow instructions at all. It is a very complex disease which requires patience and understanding. You can ask or tell them to do something till you are blue in the face it won't have any effect. They usually cannot wash, dress, feed or toilet themselves. Until you have experienced it in a loved one you won't understand. I would expect a person working in health care to have an understanding of this.

I didn't get the impression from the op that they nearly assaulted the worker I got the impression that they were exasperated by the experience to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Good grief given the gobsmaking level of delusion and entitlement in this post I sincerely hope you don't work in healthcare ....or any customer facing role for that matter....perhaps you are a recipient of services from a certain sector of the health service...if so I'd be asking for my money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

A perfectly reasonable way of looking at things, and I agree, but this kind of post will never catch on in the wonderful world of internet though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

You are assuming that they want to physically assault a worker because of their race and gender. I would say that their comment came more out of frustration because of what their loved one is going through.

By the way ... before we start calling this person a "deranged idiot", let's just sit back and take stock of what we can also assume to be true. The OP didn't actually physically assault anyone. They said that they felt like doing it on an anonymous message board where they were letting off steam. Many people have had a 'moment of madness' thought where they've said to themselves "I'd love to smack that one". Doesn't make them deranged. In fact, I'd argue that it makes them very normal.

Yeah, you are right. There are loads of people who go around abusing people for any reason at all. There are just as many, if not more, internet users who almost make a second career out of digging around for opportunities to throw the word "racist", "transphobic" or "xenophobic" at someone.

The amount of moral high ground that has been found by folk in this country in recent years is almost as astounding as it is ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well it surely was an opportunity to improve things while the crowds were away but no , it's back to hundreds on trolleys across the country

Indeed. "They" this, "they" that... about a couple of nurses they've seen in one spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Meanwhile

First of all, this is a HSE facility so blame can't be deflected onto the private sector.

So, from 1997 until at least 2011, if not later, a resident "engaged in a vast number of highly abusive and sexually intrusive behaviours".

This is the sort of thing that an on the ball, "deranged idiot" family member could possibly have stopped at the start by reading someone the riot act. Seeing as staff and management couldn't or wouldn't do their fcuking jobs and it was let go on for years. Never assume that any healthcare worker is competent, well trained, following procedure or has anyone's interests but their own at heart.

This coming on top of the Leas Cross scandal, Upton House in Co. Offaly and other relatively recent incidents such as:

But but but but RACISM.

Having visited several rape, sorry, nursing homes over the years, I witnessed plenty of incompetence, apathy and borderline neglect in both public and private facilities. I'd wonder what went on during Covid when there were no relatives allowed in to check that the residents weren't being neglected, disrespected and abused. It'll probably all come out in the wash along with information on infection control deficiencies.

That's kinda like saying that service improves when you've few or no customers...or maybe you want to keep it that way

....and you were happy to go home every evening from these rape homes..what a disgusting little person you are....perhaps you could have taken a position there. ..always plenty of work available..and experiences the particular difficulties for both staff and residents during the initial stages of Covid...but no that's real work... btw all those folk you visited over the years...relatives perhaps...well maybe you could have cared for them at home given your deep concerns....only saying like

• Advertisement

Obnoxious, barely coherent and in fact disgusting post. You think I'm going to explain myself to somebody like you? FYI - and this is the only piece of info you'll get, I advocated for several relatives in NHs and am currently an UNPAID home carer having given up my career to do so. Luckily for me (and my care recipient) I have enough money that I don't have to work for money ever again. I sincerely hope that that winds you up. Anyhow, keep up the disgusting little person rubbish. Are you going to request a fight next like the other gobsh*te?

And no comment at all about the, to quote Paul Reid, "stomach churning" goings on in Donegal. Suppose I should have fixed that problem too from over 100 miles away.

Cop yourself on.

"Rape homes". The OP comes across as a real peach. Can't think why the (and this is really relevant) "Asian person" of indeterminate sex was hostile towards him.

The HSE is strong in this one lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

With an undiagnosed chronic illness, I've had quite a few hospital appointments and consultant appointments down through the years. It's been a very mixed bag. There have been some good, caring doctors that listened and they're the reason I haven't just given up and taken my chances with whatever it is I have.

There have been some terrible experiences though. Some gobsmacking where my jaw has quite literally dropped and I sat gaping at them like a fish out of water, some infuriating, and some have left me in tears. The level of medical gaslighting, along with downright rude behaviour I've experienced has actually led to the deterioration of my mental health.

As bad as the physical health services go, the mental health services are much worse. I've been to the community mental health service twice now, and I'm actually wondering if they have ever seen the inside of a psychology class, never mind becoming doctors. Some gems include dismissing the diagnosis provided by a well regarded consultant clinical psychologist/neuropsych, zero understanding of brain fog, suggesting my physical health problems are somatic of mental health problems (despite being told the physical stuff came first and had a clear trigger), that 1-2 hours walk in a mountain area doesn't count as exercise, and my favourite so far: that passive suicidal ideation doesn't count and I shouldn't bother mentioning it.

You've fallen straight into the same kind of trap as listermint and the other clowns. Skim through post. Ignore the parts about the 15 years worth of sexual assaults in Donegal. Ignore Leas Cross and the HCA jailed for rape and the rest. Focus on two controversial words. Make assumptions.

BTW this Asian person that you and others are so concerned about was hostile towards my relative with dementia and barely acknowledged me. So a fail there too.

Was actually defending you against that fool who was looking to attack you...then read the absolute shite lazy rape home comments you just made ... completely made you look like a dishonest and equally unpleasant character...no you don't need to explain anything to me...that alone said it all...

• Advertisement

I meant there was an opportunity for major improvement whilst so many potential patients were forced to stay away

Too many vested interests to tackle so nothing was done

OK, grand, at least we agree that fighting people from the internet doesn't solve anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

How do I stop this thread appearing in my notifications, tried unticking "bookmark this discussion" and removing the bookmark tick at the top, but still is sending me loads of bell notifications....help, I want out.

You're talking like it's over, it's only beginning.

Report posts and ask for thread lock? I did that when the Fight offers started but no action as yet from mods.

• Advertisement

You’ve got to click on the gold star at top of thread. I have no idea what the bookmark thing does at all 😂

The effects of Covid on the healthcare system. The restrictions may have been easing but the numbers will no doubt continue to remain an issue to contend with especially over the winter months but even outside of that the burnout has begun, the mental health issues around the events put more and more strain on the system both by staff and the general public. With little to no mental health provision in place there will be more and more sick leave or permanent displacement and then there will be provisions made for improvement. Literally preparing the way.

These types of threads will always be contentious. Making out that your own experience is the norm, and the fault of the entire sector, is never fair - it's also uninformed of the bigger picture. Those who work in the sector or have loved ones who do, will of course become defensive. Those who don't work in the sector but have to deal with the public will too.

Saw a missing person post on Facebook today. The poor kid has severe mental health issues and left the psychiatric facility in distress. Some clown said "it's da government's fault" - this kind of uninformed bollox twisting the blame is everywhere, and people are sick of it.

The health sector is a nightmare at the moment. People saying "well MY experience means it's all terrible" are extremely self centred. I know that health workers shouldn't be brusque ideally, but ideally they wouldn't be working under such challenging conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This has the potential to be an interesting thread on the gap between expectations and reality. The way the media and nursing unions go on you would think that the hospitals are staffed entirely with Florence Nightingales. The reality is that these places are staffed by the same kind of people you find in any other workplace, where the majority of the staff are not great or terrible, but simply average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I will say, I had similar from a gynaecologist recently who wasn’t very interested in my issue and it also wasn’t fertility/pregnancy related. I felt rushed along as she tried to just give me a prescription to get me out the door. They called it a mild issue that’s just inconvenient when it’s significant to me and has caused me to take time off work regularly, so I feel has a big impact on my life.

Otherwise, I’ve never had much of an issue with healthcare staff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Reporting posts doesn't really work anymore since the migration to vanilla. If you can send me a link to the post I can have a look.

Mod note for all - dial back the personal comments. Any I come across or are brought to my attention will be actioned

#RulesOfNature do not post in this thread again

It's a real eye opener how many confident assumptions posters make on here. I make a few controversial statements on the Internet and I am told that based on that, I definItely shouted at some HCWs in real life, they can sense that I'm a terrible person, a racist and I deserve an obnoxious attitude from them etc. Absolute rubbish and the usual attack the OP bullsh1t that we get on here.

I will reiterate for the people who don't read well and pick and choose bits of posts. I do not shout at or abuse hcws or any other workers. I need them. I am nothing but polite and still received a bad attitude from the very outset in several healthcare settings recently.

I also know what its like to deal with frustrated and even violent "customers" from a previous career. E.g. have had someone try to intimidate me by "accidentally" driving an artic truck within inches of me - not many hcws can say that. I don't accept that a hcw is justified to be rotten to patients and carers because the previous patient was rotten to them or they're having a bad day. If that is their attitude, they're in the wrong job. If they are a hcw and have no understanding of dementia or other elder morbidities and berate a patient like a bold child, they're definitely in the wrong job and are a fcuking disgrace. It is borderline elder abuse and it is happening in plain sight or, in institutions, out of plain sight and can lead to more serious abuse and neglect including physical assault.

Made my point now and that's the end of my input here and there's no point asking again for a fight.

OP makes a series of personal points that are valid for discussion.

But, OP said, Asian person!

So let's all just talk about that.

My point was that the government had an opportunity to invest in beds and instigate reforms from spring 2020 onwards

"Never waste a crisis "

• Advertisement

Nurses have always been absurdly venerated in this country

Most do a job for a wage ,that's fine but enough of the eulogising

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've had a mixed bag in my experiences tbh.

While caring for a relative, I definitely came across one or two absolute arseholes. One in particular decided that my relative's complaint was in their head and discharged her with a recommendation to go to a psychiatrist and not come back to A+E. This was a patient with a long list of life limiting illnesses.

It took 8 more A+E visits (all justified, they were emergency situations), a complaint to PALS and me finally googling enough to tell the consultant what exactly was wrong with the patient (yep, I googled til I found a diagnosis that matched), til they were given a new team of consultants, admitted for months and given the very diagnosis I'd said it was.

But then when I developed a chronic illness requiring many surgeries, the same hospital were fantastic. Massive delays to some surgeries due to covid, but regular appointments, the lead surgeon truly engaged with me, told me bad news straight to the point, weighed up risks with every different surgery and really drove home the need for my input with my treatment.

Care homes - had a relative in one for years with dementia and they were absolutely bloody amazing. They could not possibly have done more or made my family feel more at ease than they did.

You're just assuming that the problem is logistical when it's far more complex than that. The "throwing more money at it" solution's don't work when the issue is inherently a cultural one. The irony is that when the problem with the system is the people in it, you can't just get rid of all the people and employ an entirely new cohort to replace them and as you know, the new ones will just enter a system which trains them up to the same standards and so the problem is cyclical.

The event's occurring right now are systemic and affecting pretty much the entire workforce. It's at this critical point where there is maximum potential for change, out of necessity for the integrity of the structure itself.

I said " instigate reforms "

I earlier referred to government unwillingness to tackle vested interests

It's an unfortunate truth that the Government have very little power of persuasion with regard to reform in the health care system. Aside from setting targets and budgeting the Dept of Health are about as powerful as a fart in a wind tunnel when faced with the voice of a thousand angry nurses.

There's something interesting in the process now as it has evolved organically. An "act of God" so to speak, which quite frankly, nurses have very little power over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Have a very mixed experience with the health service over the years with various family members. Incompetence is rife unfortunately. You do meet staff that are very good though, usually younger people who haven't had their spirits crushed by the system yet.

It's fashionable to bitch about nurses and downplay what they do, but it's clueless. The hours, the stress, the level of responsibility, the lack of resources. It's certainly not just a job you do for a wage like an office job.

They're not the only ones though - most hospital and care home staff have a very difficult job, and I wouldn't do it in a fit. Admin is probably the easiest - in some areas of health, not all. And it's likely still mental - just better hours and less responsibility.

I think actually it's the opposite, that healthcare personnel generally are held in such high regard that it's considered bad form to say something objectively, not about the profession but about any incidents which may bring disrepute to the profession.

I've personally worked with a lot of nurses and doctors, consultants and surgeons and administrators and cleaners and caterers. I know it will blow peoples minds but yeah, they are all human. Only sometimes they forget that too.

Yeah they are just human, that's why I think others should cut them some slack.

• Advertisement

What country are you referring to?

Nurses are beatified in this country, if they demanded a doubling of salary in the morning, polls would show majority support

Advertisement