Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato recommendation.

Options
  • 16-10-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the South West very close to the sea, it'a a bit wild to say the least.

I bought some tomato seeds from Lidl, two types that I really should have taken note of!

I never expected much, but they have produced fruit and although most are still green I have collected them this morning as the blight seems to have attacked in earnest.

Anyway, next season I will have a more serious attempt.

Would anyone be able to recommend seeds for outside planting and maybe a source if they are not likely to make it to the garden center shelves.

Regards

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pat2167

Hi, We've grown Lidl Marmande for the first time this year. Some were planted in a raised bed and some were alongside a house wall in grow bags. The yield was fab, planted mid May, produced from mid-July till the end of September, still have lots of toms ripening on windowsills. They needed a good supporting frame to stand the winds though and I had to re-tie them from time to time. Lidl cherry mix (Sungold, supersweet 100) did well outside too, especially Sungold.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thanks, I will look out for them.

I bought two lots of seeds from Lidl, but was not too careful about how I cared for them, I thought I would see what happened and do things properly next year. They came on well in the end, so it seems that it might be a good proposition for next year.

SK

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I always grow mine outside, favourites are Sungold in cherry size and Tigrella in more regular size (not plum), both have fairly good blight resistance, fingers crossed its stayed away so far this year and am still picking them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement