Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I never once said that all Muslims believe anything.

The fact of the matter is that Islam (the belief system, not its 2 billion plus adherents worldwide) does not respect the rights of women or LGBTQ people.

I simply asked what your opinion was on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,623 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

OK well from now on when talking about the WBC or Anders Brevic you will have no worry with me just using the word Christians.

°°°°°

Do I have to have posted about radical Christian clerics to qualify to comment on radical Islam?

Is there some test I have to pass to satisfy you before I can comment on certain topics on this site?

Islam allows for radical teachings, and unfortunately, beyond more moderate Muslim voices distancing themselves from those beliefs, they go unchecked and are allowed to metastasize into acts of terrorism.

That isn't an indictment of all Muslims, it just accepts that Islam is the source of that strand of belief systems.

°°°°°

I don't have a problem with that.

However the numbers of radical crackpots in other religions compared to Islam are not comparable.

°°°°°

I edited a previous post to link to the Saudi Islamic religious police page on Wikipedia. For some reason I couldn't quote Timberrrrrrrr asking me for evidence of the same so here's the link again... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_religious_police

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Opinion on what?

You have made a statement supported by no evidence and want my opinion on your statement. Is that what you are asking now?

If I am a Muslim and respect women as equals and no issue with homosexuality what does that mean?

°°°°°

Supported by no evidence?

The summary punishment and execution of women and Homosexuals in Saudi Arabia is public knowledge.

You're expecting me to quote the Qur'an to satisfy you when the world and his dog knows that women and LGBTQ people are not treated equitably within the Islamic belief system.

I am not extending that to the beliefs or practices of all Muslim people, something that I have been at pains to clarify, and you seem to have been at pains to ignore. We are talking about the core beliefs of the Islamic faith here, that has been clarified, you have repeatedly refused to answer the question, you have called the question stupid and attacked me for asking it.

As for all the many Muslims who respect the rights of women and LGBTQ people, I doff my cap to them, they have my respect. You however do not

Change Muslim for Christian, change Islam for Christianity and its the exact same.

They are, you just don't hear about them as much because your sole focus is in one religion.

There were plenty of Catholic priests involved in the republican side of the troubles, and I mean fundraising and hiding on the run terrorists.

• Advertisement

35m saudi arabians (rounded up) / 1.9 billions muslims worldwide. What is that as total percentage of muslims worldwide and you want to base the belief of all muslims on this country which represents less than 1% of all muslims?

🤣🤣🤣

Its 0.18%.

Any religion that does not respect the human rights of people is completely wrong, imo.

of course, that's plenty of religions and I don't believe in any God anyway, so any religion is rubbish to me.

However, I believe in people's rights to their chosen religion and I would never suggest describing or treating people of the same religion as if they are somehow some big blob of the same person.

°°°°°

You're going to some lengths to avoid answering that question.

To address your figures Saudi Arabia is the centre of Islamic belief, in turn the Vatican is the centre of Roman Catholic belief, the population of the Vatican is 834 people, there are an estimated 1.34 Billion Catholics in the world. The centre of Roman Catholicism accounts for 0.000062% of all Catholics on earth.

Neither that figure or the one you provided are relevant to anything.

Could you answer the question please?

Post edited by nullzero on

°°°°°

What do you know about my "sole focus"?

Are you for real with that type of statement?

And you're wrong, whilst there are plenty of unhinged people attached to many religions, the one belief system that is continuously linked with terrorism is Islam.

°°°°°

Would you state categorically that their religious beliefs were the sole motivating factor for their actions? Also did the catholic church instruct them to carry out those actions?

°°°°°

Except we don't see people of other religious beliefs flying planes into buildings, or driving trucks through crowds of innocent people or blowing themselves up.

I'm guessing you must be quite young. And that terrorism is somewhat a new thing to you.

It's not new and it's not just Muslims who are involved or have been involved in terrorism over the years.

There are a lot of similarities between young male terrorists, the 'ideal' may change, but the radicalisation is pretty much the same.

°°°°°

You guessed incorrectly.

There is a striking difference between terrorism as carried out by politically motivated groups and the brand of terrorism carried out by Islamic fundamentalists.

You wouldn't appear to be in a position to condescend to anyone on this topic as your own understanding of terrorism (based d solely on the above post) seems a little simplistic.

Well between myself and yourself, I deal with terrorism everyday, and mostly the reasons why people become involved and how others recruit them into terrorism, generally are quite simple.

Very surprised you see some differences in killing innocent people depending on which type of terrorism that you're involved in! Strange mindset.

Personally I find all terrorists to be the same murdering assholes, no matter what their motivation

°°°°°

One major difference with Islamic terrorism is the suicidal aspect.

There aren't a huge amount of agencies dealing with terrorism is this country, that would leave you as either a member of Gardai or the defense forces. Either way you'd have to accept the brand of terrorism we were accustomed to in this country is vastly different to what is practiced by Islamic extremists.

As you seemingly have the daily experience of dealing with terrorism, what are the real chances of an Islamic terrorist attack in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You weren't asked about how Muslims treat women, you were asked about Islam. Here are the examples you asked for.

Men are above women: Wives have the same rights as the husbands have on them in accordance with the generally known principles. Of course, men are a degree above them in status: Sura 2:228

Women's testimony is worth half a mans: And let two men from among you bear witness to all such documents [contracts of loans without interest]. But if two men be not available, there should be one man and two women to bear witness so that if one of the women forgets (anything), the other may remind her. Sura 2:282

Women won in battle are fair game for rape: And forbidden to you are wedded wives of other people except those who have fallen in your hands as prisoners of war Sura 4:24

Why would you be divircing a pre-pubescent female?: O Prophet, when you [and the believers] divorce women, divorce them for their prescribed waiting—period and count the waiting—period accurately . . . 4 And if you are in doubt about those of your women who have despaired of menstruation, (you should know that) their waiting period is three months, and the same applies to those who have not menstruated as yet. As for pregnant women, their period ends when they have delivered their burden. Sura 65:1, 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Repo101

Ireland should be more concerned about the radical left importing US politics and attempting to bring that discussion to the fore of Irish political discourse. There are a lot more fruit loops on the left in this country than there is radical jihadists.

Didn't the japanese fly aircraft into objects to use them as explosives during World War 2.

Didn't the tamil tigers use suicide bombings quite frequently during the 80's and 90's.

The more recent trend is islamic suicide attacks but they are certainly not alone in having committed such acts.

The IRA preferred proxy bombs, strap an innocent person into a van full of explosives and make them drive that to thier target.

But De Muslims hey??

There is always the chance of a lone wolf type attack, in this country same as any other. This type of attack is not confined to Islamic terrorism, as you can see worldwide.

I'm not sure why you feel the suicidal aspect is worse then ordinary bombs or attacks? I find the proxy bombs used by the IRA back in the day were particularly horrible, but a bomb is a bomb, a terrorist attack is a terrorist attack. All kill innocent people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭jmreire

But Islam holds the record as the single group who have being using Jihad since the 6th century continuously. Sure there has been others coming and going throughout this time frame, but for sheer dedication and consistency Muslims are the clear leader's. And why not? Its in the Quran as given by God through the Prophet Mohammad and which can only be changed by God himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,830 ✭✭✭buried

Of course the suicidal aspect is worse. The Islamists know it themselves and utilised it to spectacular effect on live television during the September 11th attacks or the "planes operation" as they called it. You know it is worse yourself, so I don't understand your mindset of trying to claim it is less horrific or psychologically less effective as a war tactic. I mean, you hardly watched the September 11th attacks yourself live on television and just went "meh, nothing to see here, I seen this all before"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

That's one attack. Yes it was horrendous, can't imagine anyone not thinking it was horrendous.

Doesn't make suicide attacks worse then other attacks that kill innocent people though. They all kill innocents, they are all horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,830 ✭✭✭buried

Of course it is worse. Suicide attacks, most notably suicide attacks based on the tenets of fundamental Islamic extremism have not only affected the innocents they have murdered, they have also effected the mindsets of innocents such as children as young as 4 years old. Infants brainwashed into accepting a doctrine of martyrdom, the state-sanctioned glorification of martyrdom to Iranian children, which had been developed in the years before the Iranian Islamic revolution and horrifically utilised in the Iran/Iraq war during the 80's.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Still not budging ton the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community as per Islamic dogma.

Advertisement