Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH Curranty which providers to avoid for Contention at peak times in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-10-2021 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

So I live in South Lucan and want to move away from Virgin and looking to go with one of the OpenEir Providers, but I read somewhere that both Sky and Vodafone issue is with their network/backhaul capacity, and that's the trade off for the cheap offers they have. Is this still the case?

What about other providers like Eir I know customer service is supposed to be terrible but I believe their backhaul has the capacity.

Other providers who can provide via OpenEir according to Bonkers are Pure Telecom and Rural Wifi any recommendations for either of those in relation to contention?

Is the 1GB service worth the money, currently have 500Mb with Virgin Recently purchased the Asus AX86U Wifi 6 Router and have Cat 6 & Cat 7 cabling around the house.

I would not like to pay for a product where the speed would drop right down during the usual peak times, I used to have that issue with UPC back in the day.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

If 100 mbps upload speeds important to you then go for 1Gb package otherwise 500 mbps is plenty.

You wouldn’t have contention issues with 500 package regardless of provider afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Romero

Well from reading some of the threads on here there seems to be issues with some providers like Sky & Vodafone, again that seems to be going back to last year, so I was just wondering if things have improved with say Vodafone who I was close to signing up to before reading about contention issues.

Is it OpenEir FTTH or SIRO FTTH available to your location?

you could use airwire service to check

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Keep in mind 14 days Cooling Off when ordered online.

If Vodafone not working out for you , just cancel and get Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

The problem is that it's only fixed each time insofar as they increase the backhaul after several weeks or months of dreadful service.

They then continue to sell subscriptions on their network causing them to once again run out of capacity at some point in the future.

Rinse and Repeat.

If you can get OpenEir then stick with Eir or providers who provide their own backhaul - Airwire, Digiweb, etc.

I’ve seen few complaints here on Airwire and Digiweb not capable to provide decent 1Gb service in busy areas ( I doubt they have own backhaul in Dublin area too, it is probably BT Ireland they using here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Romero

Open Eir is only available in my area, that or stick with the overpriced Virgin are my options.

Digiweb seem to not offer a home phone which I'd like to hang onto my landline number.

KildrareP seems like a familiar tactic by some of the cheaper options like Sky and Vodafone who oversell their product and don't have a decent backhaul.

Might risk Eir, only thing with the 14 day cooling off is if don't install within the 14 days then you might be stuck in a contract with a poor service and non-existent customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

14 days from the installation date, not the day when you placing the order.( unless you’ve signed paperwork in person then there’s no cooling off at all)

I believe there are only 3 backhaul providers available in Dublin for OpenEir:

: Eir

: BT Ireland

: Vodafone

anyone else have to use third party network.

It would be BT Ireland in most of the cases as it cheapest option available.

Pure not even proper ISP, they almost like insurance brokers or Sales reps, they wouldn’t own nothing at all: no DNS servers/gateways , no network equipment at all. As a result , in rural Ireland they would be based 100% on Eir infrastructure or BT Ireland in Dublin or other cities.

Airwire or Digiweb using third party backhauls but own Gateways , servers , firewalls,etc.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

Digiweb do have their own backhaul into many areas, they have a pretty extensive fibre footprint and a high speed microwave network across Ireland through their corporate parent Viatel.

They also acquired Smart Telecom way back when. Smart were pretty ahead of the game at the time, physically putting their own fibre and kit into Eircom exchanges and having your copper line physically moved onto their rack. Data was done on ADSL2+ and voice was VoIP, albeit the VoIP was handed off onto copper at the exchange rather than your house via a modem or ATA so it still looked and behaved like an ordinary phone line at your house side (with the exception of problematic fax and no dial-up or Sky boxes. Noughties problems!).

However in the smaller, more rural areas, it's unlikely Digiweb have all that much backhaul available to them so the busier pockets may end up suffering as a result. It's probably not worth their while to go and increase that unless they've a big-spending corporate looking for service, nor might it make sense to pay someone else to transit it for them.

And Airwire seem to be targeting themselves at specific areas of the country only, even if they can service you outside of that area.

Really with both, the impression I get is certain areas are a "it is what it is, take it or leave it" type operation.

Whereas as with Sky, as mentioned, the entirety of their broadband and phone operations are outsourced to BT Ireland.

While with Pure, it's a simple white-label product, the only thing that's theirs is the name and logo on the bill. Your connection will actually be a bog standard Eir retail connection or a BT Ireland one (not sure if it shows up as BTI or Sky).

Advertisement