Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future of media commission recommend abolishing TV licence

• 17-10-2021 11:02pm

& funding RTE directly from general taxation. I'm surprised at this recommendation as I expected them to recommend the long mooted device independent household media charge

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Have you a link for that?

Very surprised if true. Alas if this is the road going down we are looking at a fully commercial RTE before too long.

This happened to the ABC in Australia, who don’t have adverts, and they have been cash starved. The CBC in Canada, who have always been funded this way (but do have ads) have also been cash starved to the point where they don’t do sports any more and give over six hours of prime time on a Saturday to the local equivalent of Sky Sports to show ice hockey coverage for free.

The license fee, for all its faults, isn’t cut in absolute terms, and so guarantees a level of funding. With direct taxation funding Governments can and will cut funding when they need it for more important things. Moreover there is always the threat from Government that a non compliant PSB can have its funding cut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Putting RTE under direct Gov subvention makes them subject to direct Gov interference. The proposal for a household charge on every house makes sense, but could arouse opposition from the same crowd who were opposed to the bin charges (which are now collected without opposition) and water charges (which underfunds Irish Water and results in high levels of water leakage and water pollution). If only the IW project had been handled correctly in even only one dimension - a huge waste of money for no benefit for anyone (except the usual suspects).

An approach that covers this would be to put the charge, not just on broadcasts, but broadband, and mobile use. Set at the level of €250 million for RTE and €50 million for the rollout of the national broadband would give a reasonable return for the money for most people. The broadband fee could be collected from the suppliers, as could the mobile charge - it would be at the level of €10 to €12 per connection per year. The household charge could be set at €120 to €132 per year collected on the ESB bill at €10 to €11 per month - but not subject to VAT.

If it is collected like VAT it would be painless for most people and difficult to avoid, so fair.

Sam Russell is dreaming of innovative new ways to fund an organisation that most of us, with good reason, despise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

there is always the threat from Government that a non compliant PSB can have its funding cut.

I think the boot will be on the other foot. If the government starts threatening to tighten the purse strings, one or more of the opposition parties will pledge to give RTE whatever it wants, and there will always be the gnawing fear for the government, regardless of the reality, that RTE is giving those parties more favourable coverage. So the path of least resistance for both government and opposition will always be to give RTE more money, especially as the sums involved are pretty trivial in the overall context of public spending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem is that, as much as people despise RTE, would they despise the national broadcaster more if it was fully funded commercially, like Virgin Media with its blanket rebroadcasting of low level UK TV programmes, plus light touch 'journalism' news.

Would RTE be better if it was properly funded, and thus reduce the number of people who despise it?

I presume those who despise it do not actually watch it, so they are like those who do not like a book they have never read.

You will dismiss the input of those who don't watch RTE because to your mind they don't appreciate it and are ignorant of it while at the same time you will dismiss the input of those who criticize programming so they must obviously be watching the programs and are just trying to shirk the cost of the licence fee for a service they "derive" benefit from. There is no winning with you.

MPEG streams can be be made accessible only with CAMs so that there are no "free-loaders". RTE can go down that path if they so wish. No skin off my nose there.

I don't watch the commercial channels either. Broadcast Television is a medium whose time has passed along with Town Criers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It a terrible idea and the decision shows just how the commission was a pointless timewasting exercise. The fact that the report has yet to be fully publish and that it sounds like the decision taken will not take place until 2024.

I would love to know how the government will pay for this from the exchequer!

@[Deleted User] I think they have considered that the new funding will not be based purely on the medium of broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

I wish they would just make it a subscription service so that those who want it can pay for it and they can stop charging the likes of me just for owning a tv.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They aren’t going to. The Irish Times report makes clear that this recommendation at least will be DOA, and status quo will remain.

• Advertisement

Great. I'll start practicing shouting at the top of my voice so that I can stand on a crate in the town square "entertaining" the passing locals whether they like it or not and demand my portion of the licence fee.

Very true, it is a problem, how do you actually divide the license out, what is a Public Service Media (What is media) provider and what is not and who chooses .... The Government ... I mean surely Facebook are entitled to some of the fund, if a Drama on Netflix ends up funded by the Government or.... (and at this point it unfortunately becomes political so I won't continue but you get my point).

I support you in your venture. Though if I pass by I you better not also be busking.

That's just their interpretation; I wouldn't take it as gospel. IMO this proposal makes a lot of sense at a political level.

Never gonna happen; would effectively kill 'public service broadcasting' as RTE would take a massive hit in funding and be forced to gut documentaries, drama, Irish language etc.

How are they funding Drama, Irish Language, children's programming, docs, comedy etc now? .... not very well ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Cabinet has given the green light to Minister Catherine Martin about proposed legislation in the Oireachtas to establish a new media commissioner. It will takeover the functions of the BAI and extend it's remit to include streaming services like AP Video, Disney+ & Netflix. There is new laws being proposed laws in there to get rid of content that promotes self harm.

I wonder if this proposed legislation will include references for new mechanisms to fund services offered by RTÉ whether by a broadcasting levy or by direct subvention.

Is the full report about the current status & future of the TV Licence meant to be published soon along with this new proposed legislation being published by the Oireachtas?

The draft report on it said that the TV Licence was meant to be scrapped with no details of how it was meant to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If they apply an Irish tax to Netflix, what's stopping someone from opening a foreign Netflix account... How can they tax that.

My current Netflix account is a German one, I share it with a friend in Germany.

The prime video account I use isn't mine either.

Advertisement