Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Satellite PVR Files On A PC

Options
  • 17-10-2021 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, from a quick search, I understand that recordings produced by most satellite PVR boxes will play only on that particular brand of box and not on a PC. My question is whether there is any satellite PVR box available that produces files that can be played on a PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My Tiviar box creates recordings as .ts files, these will play on my PC via VLC Media Player (free appliction), you can through this if you wish convert them to mp4 and mkv files if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Same here with Gigablue and Zgemma, I would imagine its the same for all Enigma2 based boxes (or at least the Openvix variant I use).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

AFAIK all enigma based boxes use the .TS file format which most media players such as VLC or MPV can handle. Freesat branded boxes and some TVs encrypt some recordings so they can only be played on the original unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apesma

Many thanks to everyone. The situation is much less difficult than I thought. I'll start looking at Enigma boxes....

Enigma boxes also include a feature called WEBIF or the web interface. Among it's many uses is the ability to stream both live TV and recordings from the box to anything with a web browser on the same home network. You can also use it to set timers or read/search the 7 day EPG

• Advertisement

Following the discussion above, I have bought an Edision OS nino pro DV3D2X + DVT2/C and have recorded a few tv programmes to an Intenso 1Tb hard drive.

The recordings seemed to work fine and play ok using the Edision box.

When I connected the hard drive to a Dell PC (to verify I could play the files on the PC) the drive didn't appear on windows explorer. (Operating system on the PC is Windows 10 Home).

Anyway, a quick internet search told me that Win 10 doesn't recognise Linux file systems and suggested a third party software such as Diskinternals Linux Reader.

So I installed Linux Reader.

Now while the Intenso drive appears as a physical drive in Linux reader, when I double click on it, I get the message: "Can't Open Disk. Intenso External USB 3.0. Check the Disk and try again".

I'd be grateful to hear any suggestions as to how I can transfer the recordings to the PC.

If the box is connected to your home network, you should be able to access the HDD directly without removing it from the box. The simplest way is using the built in web interface utility, WEBIF. Simply enter the box network address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any web browser on the same network.

The box should also show up in your windows explorer under the network heading. You may need to enable the Samba network utility on the box first which can be found in the network menu. The exact menu sequence varies from box to box but should be obvious.

Select the MOVIE tab in WEBIF.

The triangular play button plays the recording on the box.

The monitor symbol streams the recording to your browser.

The save (floppy) symbol downloads the file to your PC.

Of course you can delete the recording from here too.

Thanks a mil Gerry. I'll give that a go.

Advertisement