Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH eircode incorrectly says not available, who to talk to?

Options
  • 18-10-2021 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me some guidance on who to contact.

The issue is that the eircode for our house says we are on Y road which is connected to a cabinet however our house was built and connected to the phone line before Y road was built (we are a corner house). All houses on X road which was the pre eircode address of our house have FTTH and it is physically available to our house as confirmed by an Eir technician who was fixing a line issue to our house. She could not give me any help on who to talk to.

All providers simply check the eircode and say FTTH not available to you cabinet. None of them seem to get the fact we are not on a cabinet and are in fact on a direct line to the local exchange via an overhead line (now fibre enabled). Cabinet is not due for upgrade for 2 years ! Poor quality DSL is all that we have available.

There must be someone somewhere who can sort out this mess. If anyone has any contacts or instructions please let me know (by PM if you can't broadcast the details publicly).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭NSAman

Good luck talking to anyone. 2 years waiting at this stage. They did arrive to instal last august. Then couldn’t get the fibre through the ducting cause it was “silted”… so far nothing… not a peep…that’s kn networks and eir.

meanwhile, in my home here in the states…600 miles of cable laid, with crews seeding and repairing (all underground connection) gardens while installing, project started in March this year, 5000 homes all rural, installation being made in around 4 weeks….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not sure why a cabinet is being mentioned for upgrade as FTTH is always connected to an exchange, a cabinet is for copper line to the home, in 2 years time they will most likely be announcing a copper switch off/transition process.

Would it be possible that all ports of the fibre drop-point located nearby have been used with no spares to connect any further premises unless they add a secondary splitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Fiber to the cabinet has not been enabled hence the upgrade comment as that is the first date "computer says" we can get fibre even though we are NOT connected to the cabinet.

Fibre drop box has spares, already confirmed by Eir technician who climbed the telephone pole!

I am trying to get "computer says" changed from "your cabinet will be fibre enabled" to " you are not on a cabinet, fibre is at your drop box(point)".

Who do I contact, what do I have to get changed, where do I go next?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Have you tried contacting them through Twitter to explain your situation, they generally don't interact with the public directly but worth trying

@openeir

@carolan_lennon (eir CEO)

Open-eir compile the database and they are the only ones that can resolve the issue of your eircode being incorrectly linked to the cabinet.

Failing that Comreg may be your next port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Thank you for the pointer. Don't use Twitter but will start in the morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement