Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders sand mixed with top soil?

Options
  • 18-10-2021 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

I have about a quarter ton of builders sand left over from a project. I am re grassing an area and I am short some top soil. If I mixed the builders sand in with the top soil would grass seed still grow.

I also have the thought that I might throw a few shovel fulls on my raised beds to lighten the clay. Would this be OK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is something about not mixing sand with clay topsoil, not sure of the details but I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that it is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

You often see football pitches being sprinkled with sand before seeding. I want to mix, maybe one part sand to four parts topsoil?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a difference between sharp sand and builders/soft sand; builder's sand and sharp sand are different things, but it's sharp sand which would be used in a horticultural context to improve drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Some sources say never add builders sand to clay as it will make things even worse, resulting in a concrete-like mix

Others say that to achieve good drainage with sand you need very very large amounts of sharp sand, more than 4:1 I think. (not builder's sand as mentioned above)

If you have room, I would suggest holding on to the sand for a project down the line. A good use I've heard recently is covering newly planted seed trays.

Are you very stuck for top soil? What's there now? Can you scratch up the existing ground into any sort of tilth?

Advertisement