Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from Tesco Mobile

• 18-10-2021 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi there, I received an email from Tesco Mobile today, I was a customer a number of years ago, telling me I was due a refund owing to a credit remaining on the account when I closed it.

The email has a PDF attachment (which I haven't clicked on yet) which it claims is a refund voucher and to visit any Payzone outlet to get the refund. Its very believable with links to Tesco Mobile terms and conditions and link to Payzone outlets across the country.

The age old question... Is it a scam.

I've tried TM on Twitter but they seem pretty useless. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Have you analysed the address the email came from? That can be a good indicator if a scam or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Lightscribe

Yeah it looks legit, its customercare@tesco.ie. The above link makes it seem OK though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

Good luck trying to get your refund. I received the same email today and used the Payzone website to identify locations that can do "Tesco Mobile Cash Payouts."

I've been to 5 stores on the list in Dublin city centre and none of them know how to issue the refund!

So I then tried to call Tesco Mobile on 1903. You're asked if you want to continue using the number you're calling from. I selected that option and was told that my number wasn't recognised ans was asked to enter another mobile number so I entered the number of the cancelled Tesco Mobile account and that wasn't recognised either. So if you're no longer a Tesco Mobile customer there's no way of contacting them by phone.

If it's a scam, it's very much in the part of Tesco Mobile trying to hinder someone from getting their refund!

See Comreg website here for more info:

I think somehow the refund process will prompt more complaints to Comreg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

I got one of these too. A year or so I got something similar from virgin media telling me to go to a payzone to get a refund. Same thing no one could issue the refund and I lost it. This type of thing shouldn't be allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭GIMP

This was posted on RTE today....

Tesco Mobile is to refund 27,500 customers who were wrongly hit with charges worth a total of €380,000 after they cancelled their contract.

The move follows an own initiative review that the virtual carrier carried out of its billing system in May.

It sought to determine if customers were being charged for services beyond the cancellation of their contracts.

Tesco Mobile found 27,500 of its customers had been incorrectly charged with these so-called post cancellation charges.

It is now set to refund those concerned, by sending them an email with a voucher attached that can be redeemed for cash at a Payzone retailer within 90 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Yeh i see that...its legit...but can anyone tell me how to get my hands on the money.....

For me its a substantial amount...and i went to few shops....just to be looked at like a fool....they have no scanner or way to issue refund as they claiming that they have no procedure in place.... To me its not fun.... Chasing my money....that were with tesco for 2 years without charge....imagine you own them....would be way different sum after 2 years or so..

So did anyone manage to get the money?

Lodge a formal complaint with TM and then go to Comreg if not resolved.

Email/phone Comreg while waiting for TM complaint response, Comreg won't do much until TM respond but it will highlight the fact that TM aren't honouring the commitment they made to resolve their mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

I was on to Tesco Mobile chat. Told them I was pretty much refused in two payzone agents that were on the list.

The support agent told me I could also try the Post Office. Haven't tried there yet, and there not mentioned anywhere else, but might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

I emailed Tesco Mobile having been unable to get a refund from a Payzone agent. Tesco Mobile told me I should be able to get the refund from a Tesco store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I went to my local Tesco ..... who don't do Payzone.

The 2 other places I tried said it wouldn't work.

I'M not sure if they just couldn't be bothered.

I got a feeling that they thought it was cheeky of Tesco.

I too have emailed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 laura 86

Seems like a scam from tesco! I went to 3 stores and almost felt like they thought I was scamming then. I have talked to tesco twice and they just said go tho the payzone store as they have all been made aware of this. Don't want to leave it go as tesco have enough money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

On the pdf you downloaded and printed was there a code to scan in the shops/dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

I had this problem too. I got emails from Tesco today about refunds, so I tried a few different shops but none of them knew how to issue the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

Final got the refund. Went back to my local Daystart with a printout of the pdf. The guy scanned it and the terminal printed out the payout. He asked if I wanted TM credit. He looked a bit confused when I said I'd take the cash. But he anded over the cash and took my number just in case and said he'd contact Payzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ian.kennedy

Been trying to get my refund since Oct. I have been in contact with Tesco via online chat and 1903. I have been told that a new Barcode will be issued (as mine wont scan) by some agents and others are telling me that this is not possible and I need to contact Payzone. I have been speaking with Payzone also and they keep sending me back to Tesco.

I have now decided to do everything via email so that I will have a paper trail. I have also requested all of the information that Tesco have on me under the freedom of information act. I plan to send all of this to Comreg.

For clarity, GDPR and Data Privacy are the mechanisms for obtaining information held by a company about you.

Freedom of Information applies to government departments and other state institutions.

In this situation, submit a Subject Access Request to Tesco Mobile's Data Protection Officer.

You can also file a formal complaint with TM, there's a complaints process outlined on their website, it's separate from GDPR so might speed things up if you try both avenues. GDPR requests can take longer but have more non compliance enforcement consequences than the Comreg complaints process.

After some email traffic, quoting Comreg and sending them my responses from Payzone, they have agreed to wire the money via bank transfer to my account.

Advertisement