Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yagi wifi antennas

Options
  • 18-10-2021 7:22pm

Has anyone ever tried one of these? I got two from ALi Express recently and neither of them work. They are rubbish. I have an alfa usb wifi adaptor which is 5dbi. It is more powerful than these two put together. I'm in a city centre and I was curious about how far i can reach public wifi in the area. The supplier said they are 24dbi each.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Remember: long range WiFi must be two-way. It's not enough for your antenna to reach a remote access point, but that AP must be strong enough to reach back to you. So, if you think an antenna will help you use the nearest Starbucks as your home WiFi, that won't work, because the Starbucks AP will only cover a small area around the coffee shop.

If you have the time, read this article. Or watch this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Providing, with use of whatever type of antena, at your base location, you able to "read" Starbucks SSID as awailable network and connect to it, wouldn't that indicate two way communication is established?

Advertisement