Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodies Halloween - All 50% off - Rip[off

Options
  • 19-10-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

Yes it is the correct forum.

I was in Woodies as I needed something urgently and was looking at their halloween range that had signs everywhere saying 50% off.

Sorry, but even at so called (and false) 50% off, their prices are stupidly high.

Surely there has to be some sort of enforceable regulation to stop this type of scamming customers into thinking you are getting something half price when in reality you are paying well over what it is worth.

another example I saw was a desk called Arizona Light Oak - so called "half price" at €130 (was €260). The EXACT same item is £80 on Amazon and £69.99 in Currys & €115 on Buyitdirect. Even Littlewoods who are known for high prices have it at €135 and do not pretend its worth €260.

Sorry Mr Woodies, you are an absolute ripoff with your prices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are regulations, they have to have actually offered the item at the higher price for a period.

That nobody would ever have bought it doesn't stop them, they just need to be able to prove they did offer it at the higher price. CCPC would be interested in chasing that up if you don't think they did.

Woodies is part of a large, Irish founded but UK listed company called Grafton Group. I don't think any of the original Chadwick family are involved in running it day to day anymore, so identifying a Mr Woodies would be hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I was just been flippant when I said "Mr Woodies". In a way it would be their marketing dept. Homestore and more use the exact same tactic with their so-called half price offers.

Unfortunately too many consumers believe the signs rather than ask if it really is worth the so called "previous price".

The legislation is very muddled especially here. there is noting to state what period it had to be at a higher price or in what context.

DFS are a classic example of how consumers are tricked into thinking they are getting value. They put a sofa into the far corner of one single store at say £1999 for 28 days, then release the stock in all stores at £999 claiming half price when it in reality is barely worth the £999

I looked at the woodies stuff. My own knowledge of the trade told me that the items were not even worth the so called half price, so beware and simply do not believe "half price" offers when the product blatantly is not worth it.

Advertisement