Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Glendalough 2021 - First timer

Options
  • 19-10-2021 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hey all, first time doing any kind of multi-disclipine event at this. I've a few questions ...

1. Do people leave cycling shoes on their bikes and swap out or just use flat pedals?
    2. Nutrition - feels like the 'sport' version isn't crazy long - I was thinking a few gels, and water on the bikes with some energy mix.
    3. Bike swapping - is it just the case that's there's big area where bikes are held and they match your numbers? Do I need a lock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

ok i havent done glendalough specifically but i have done a few adventure races

1. most will change their pedals and use flat pedals, some will still use bike shoes but with multi stages this is a pain, you then need to carry your runners with you some way
    2. yep you have that dead on,
    3. youl have a number on your bike and they will cross check that with your bib number as you leave, ive never seen anyone lock one yet, but i guess thats up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 joycer

Hi,

1. Ive seen some people carry trail runners and wear cycle shoes, I just use flat pedals its easier!
    2. Nutrition: I would have a few gels, water and energy mix but I would also have some sort of energy bar or something too.
    3. Bike Swapping: There is an area where you rack your bike (when transitioning to a run etc), you wont have a specific spot to rack your bike. Your helmet, bike and whatever top you have on, will have your race number and they will be checked that they all match as you leave the bike area to make sure you are not leaving with someone else's bike.

No need for a lock etc during the race, there will be loads of race marshals around.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Very tempted now to bring the cycle shoes as it's all uphill to start - I can probably just have a small bag with the light runners in them for the road and leave the shoes then on the bike!

Cheers for the tips lads. Looking forward to it now.

Advertisement