Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pumping over and rotten system

• 19-10-2021 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi all hoping someone can shed any ideas on this set up.

Girlfriends house 10 years old on dual oil and solid fuel system.

Had to replace 3 rads 2-3 years ago due to pinhole leaks again in July same thing on different rads original plumber looked after that. Now when we turned back on the system a few weeks ago overflow from the header tank is leaking plumber came back changed ball valve tank then started to weep atthe overflow 350 he came back and sorted that system still overflowing and weep in feed 350 when the tank is overflowing.

So plumber has been here everyday has tied up ball valve leave it till tomorrow to see what happens water still rising

Has blanked off vent pipe and I'm assuming is using feed as the vent or something like that but he is all out of ideas I've said to him it has to be coil passing in hwc but nothing is adding up to why the system is rotten all the time has to be air getting in. He will be back tomorrow

Oil boiler heat exchanger is leaking now also all from a 10 year old system.

Girlfriend is crying as this is another disaster last year had a 315 leak under a floor in the bathroom that cost thousands to repair anyone want pics of hotpress had another chap out who was a relation didn't see anything wrong with the setup

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

The usual cause for this sort of problem is poor plumbing in conjunction with a solid fuel boiler.

Fresh water being constantly added to the system because the vent overflows when solid fuel boiler is on.

Might be difficult to get a plumber to fix another's bad work, so I think you need to encourage installer to keep at it. Maybe he should bring an experienced plumber with him to advise.

I would consider capping the vent a dangerous procedure.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Appreciate the reply

I thought that too re the vent pipe not happy at all about that. Thought I seen some signs of splash on the attic roof but can't be sure that's from water being forced up or when plumber was emptying the tank.

Any tips to look out for on the solid fuel side?

Pump in wrong location or incorrect feed point?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It cam be a multitude of things wrong as you can see from some of the threads here on P&H. It really needs an experienced eye over it all.

If you are courious about it, you'll find some good diagrams online. Serch for combined oil and solid fuel heating. Some of the solid fuel stove manufacturers used to have some good diagrams, but I haven't looked in some time.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Cheers was just thinking that a diagram might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

there may be a leak ongoing in the system for years thats undetected because of the open system

fresh water causes oxidation through out the entire system hence your rads first now your boiler

not much point fixing the problems ie new rads/boiler without addressing the cause

• Advertisement

Yea I agree I even said to herself about disconnecting the solid fuel and sealing the system.

Has to be something going on but what I got a number of another guy who I will call to come out and have a look and see where we go from there

Advertisement