Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP Bill. A true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

Terrible loss. Not just a great player but what seemed to be a great and very strong person.

He stood up against some horrendous racism from that time.

the greatest winner of them all

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

R.I.P.

• Advertisement

I know it's quiet bar the KD nonsense (re-iterating I don't want Boston to trade for him), but the Netflix Tim Donaghy Documentary is streaming soon for anyone who hasn't heard, and also the AND1 Doc. is coming this month too. Both should be worth watching,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ooh i knew about the And1 doc but didn't know the Tim one was coming to Netflix. Just rewatched The Malice at the palace doc the other night, so great and sad.

As for KD, interesting that KD said for the Nets to choose between him and Nash and they are supporting their front office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

LeBron signs 2 year extension with player option for 24/25 season. Looks like he will get to play with his son after all, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Has anyone seen 2017, the documentary about Slovenia’s success in the last euro basket? I can’t find it anywhere. Would like to see it before the competition starts in a couple of weeks.

And1 doc is out today on Netflix, great watch but sad knowing how much the company made compared to the players. Has me itching to go practice my handles.

• Advertisement

Jesus, No. 2 pick Chet Holmgren is gonna miss his first season after injuring his leg trying to defend against Lebron at the Crawsover ProAm. Thunder must be absolutely raging. Actually looked like Lebron eased up when finishing on him.

It's very sad for him and OKC. I've always wondered why pro teams let their players play in these Pro Ams like the Drew League etc. - it's just madness. You have guys trying to prove sh*t to the pros and in relatively crappy gyms etc. It's crazy to me. If you're paying guys millions of dollars a year at least you should be able to say "you can't play in this" to them.

In possibly the biggest "F U" signing ever, the Lakers just gave a giant middle finger to Russ by signing......Patrick Beverly. That's some funny sh*t.

Watched it over the weekend, a good watch to be fair. It's probably hard for those of you too young to remember life before the internet but I can tell you when I first saw the first And1 video my mind was blown. Not so much from the dunks, but the handles and the passing in particular. It's not an exaggeration to say it was like watching a different sport.

Really looking forward tot eh Donaghy doc. though. There's a podcast series on the Donaghy story that's worth a listen too (someone here recommended it previously).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

Think the pod you are referring to is “Whistleblower”, it’s very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I don't know if anyone is watching it, but Slovenia and Lithuania in the eurobasket is on at the moment and its started with a great rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Where can I watch Eurobasket and the NBA when it starts? My son has developed an intense interest in basketball so i'd like to watch some games with him.

Donovan Mitchell to Cleveland. Great signing for Cleveland to be fair given their young core. New York tried to bluff Ainge and her called their bluff. Total Knicks move. 🙄

NBA is a different thing. You can watch live on Sky on occasion but the times are awful with the time difference (expect the Sunday games which are usually at reasonable times).

Or you can buy NBA League Pass which shows every game on demand for about €100 for the year - it's also included in one special edition of NBA2K for gamers. You can get that cheaper if you use a VPN etc.

If it's not a fad and passing phase, I'd look at the League Pass.

On Eurobasket and Euroleague - just so you know, it's a very different spectacle than NBA basketball. It's a slower though IMO more cerebral version of the game. It's not got the high flying "razzmatazz" of the NBA. I personally prefer international basketball to the NBA, but I still love the NBA.

Also, in case you didn't know there's n NBA game in Paris next January - details online.

I don't think I ever told this story before. At one time when I lived in Boston I got an evening job working in the Copley mall doing security.

It was an easy going enough job where you sat at desks giving out directions and information for most of your shift and spent an hour walking each of the shopping levels. There wasn't much wrong going on there most of the time and if anybody was being loud you were told to ask them nicely to keep it down.

So one evening there was a couple of guys walking around and joking very loudly and one of them was using a lot of profanities so I went over to him and ask him to keep it down when he was using that sort of language so as not to upset other customers. He apologised for it and walked away.

One of my colleagues came up to me and asked me what I said to him and I told him. He asked me if I knew who it was and told me it was Jon Starks of the Knicks. It spread around the mall like wildfire and I was getting high fives and compliments from everybody.

Then one day I was told I was required in Chilli's restaurant. I went in and asked a waitress what the issue was and she said that the guys at the table wanted to see me. The guys at the table were Dana Barros and Rick Fox and they told me they had heard about me putting Starks in his place and handed me ringside tickets for a game against the Pacers.

I'll never forget the game as people came over and shook my hand for the Starks thing. Larry Bird was coaching the Pacers so I got to see him up close too, he got a standing ovation from the crowd when he walked out onto the court.

Anyways if I'd known it was Starks I wouldn't have went near him so I was so lucky and I think they all thought I did know him and still did it.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Advertisement

You mean John Starks of the Knicks? Stockton only played for the Jazz.

Yes, I see now I put down Stockton. I was reading the previous post before I typed it and was wondering if there was ever a documentary about Stockton and the mailman.

I also prefer FIBA, the perfect mix would be the NBA's athletes with FIBAS's rules in my opinion. Anyways, Giannis had an amazing clutch play yesterday against Croatia, blocked Smith's shot and then ran down the court and got the and 1.

Galinari confirmed with a torn ACL.

Boston’s great off season just took a hit. :(

Some great games in Eurobasket so far to be fair.

I was tempted to go but can’t really take the time off work but the atmosphere looks great across all venues. I went to the Worlds in Spain a few years ago, great tournament, got tickets for the final on the day - crazy if you think about it.

Stadium in Tbilisi empty for Bulgaria and Montenegro now. Crazy. Is it because of covid?

I can’t get over how little media coverage it’s getting here and in the uk.

I’m following Slovenia’s progress in particular.

Post edited by hole in my lovelywall on

Some game there between Lithuania and Germany, went to second ot and Germany won it by two. I can't get over with how bad Sabonis is playing in this tournament, Grigonis was excellent again. For Germany Franz Wagner and Lo are playing great basketball. Watching Spain now, they are definitely in rebuild mode. Scariolo went crazy at them in the last time out, they seem to be lacking the correct attitude against this Belgian team so far.

That's some surprise, Spain have just lost to Belgium 73-83. They stunk the place out. Lecomte was really good for Belgium, still though its Belgium ffs.

• Advertisement

Disappointed with Dončić’s performances for Slovenia.

OMG - Turkey and Georgia has it all.

Advertisement