Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's just the inconsistency, as mentioned by others. If every game has to be a dog fight, they are bound to have ups and downs but the Bucks were like their kronor kryptonite last year so an early win against them is major. Just hoping Zach stays motivated, everyone stays relatively healthy and Lonzo makes an appearance in the new year but who knows how that will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

I dont think I've ever come across so much offensive talent in the league at one time that are having such an impact. Just last night Booker dropped 51, Tatum 49, Embild had 59 not long ago and god only knows what Doncic (whos on track to blow out Jokic record breaking PER during last years MVP campaign) will continue to do if he doesnt burn out from carrying a poor Mavs side.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tatum is becoming the new Tom Brady in Boston. He's playing so well and he has a massive following.

Tatum is playing so well that not many people realise that Jaylen Brown has went to a different level than he's ever been at.

I'm loving this season. I don't think any team can live with the Celtics starting five and that's without Robert Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If anyone wants to see why Dwight Howard won't play in the NBA again just watch some of his games in the Tiawanese League. Instead of going there and showing he can dominate in the paint and rebound he seems to want to shoot pull up 3s on the break, 3s 7 seconds into an offence, play point guard, run the break, and go full "Dwight meets the Globetrotters". He could use this opportunity to show he's willing to do whatever it takes to win, get in shape and show that he can be a role player.....but no, has to the clown. An absolute embarrassment and a waste of whatever talent he has left.

It's painful to watch it on one level, and funny (in a very weird way) on others.

As a Celtics fan I have to say I'm shocked at how well they are playing considering all the pre-season shenanigans. They've taken the best parts of their offence last year and dialed it up a couple of notches, concentrating more on 3s than ever before. The defence has regressed a little, but that's largely down to Wlliams being out.

Even the games they've lost have either been very close, in OT, or 2nd consecutive game against same team type scenarios (always hard to win both of these as teams adjust so much). No-one has put a beat down on them yet.

There will be some regression in the offensive numbers as they simply can't maintain this level of efficiency, but with the defence getting stronger when Williams returns the overall effect is likely to be similar to current performance. I also expect a bit of a mental slip at some stage as I don't thin the Udoka thing has really set in yet - it'll resurface at some stage and there will I suspect be a fallout of some sort at that time.

You have to wonder what Udoka is thinking watching this? But overall it's very positive. They look like the team to beat at this point.

• Advertisement

Well Boston finally got a beat down at the hands of Golden State, a bad loss against the Clippers, and the. A shocking performance against the Lakers (which they admittedly won).

On the Lakers, LeBron had an absolute brick of a layup that didn’t even hit the ring (due to pressure defence) that the commentators made out to ge an incredible assist 🙄 as AD made a follow up dunk on the play. It made the NBA Top 10 plays if you watch that,

He made a steal at one stage and took about a thousand steps without being called for a travel - this one also made the NBA Top 10 plays.

And his shot at the end of regulation was another example of absolutely shocking shot selection. Had it been Westbrook the media would have been all over it but LeBron largely gets a free pass (though Barley did criticize it).

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

The Bulls are breaking my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So bad, 20 turnovers... People calling for Billy to go ( not happening as he's contact was just extended), derozen and Vuc to go, Lavine to go.... I dunno how they're going to turn the season around. They have some brilliant games but then a string of really bad ones, so inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Was very surprised by Bostons performance here, I really thought this would be an exclamation mark on how good they have been, probably just a blip but slightly worrying for when the big games in playoffs come.

Warriors are in a bit of trouble, just haven’t got enough out of the young players and now Steph is hurt, still have time to get it together but I had higher hopes, can’t complain after last year though.

At least with LeBron, I don’t see him winning another championship, he is not a good position right now, seems content being in LA and cashing in on his celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

They may as well blow it up at this stage, they're not going anywhere. It's a shame, I've really enjoyed this team, but it's clear it's falling apart fast.

• Advertisement

Bulls blowing it up and gonna rebuild with Wembanyama.

I love to see it.

It seems like there are a lot of unexpected results so far this season?

Only in the 2nd quarter, but I’m just watching Orlando magic lead against the Celtics.

The Bulls do seem to be the the biggest mess though, and it’s pointless for them to tank.

Boston lose back to back games against Orlando. Some times teams are a bad match up, Orlando’s front court size caused them all sorts of problems - which doesn’t bode well for a series with Milwaukee.

Celtics on a really bad run lately having started the season so well.

On a slight tangent, Bol Bol has put together some crazy highlights this year from amazing passes, to pull up 3s in transition, to full court coast to coast moves.

I fear for his legs every time he leaves the ground, but for a guy his size he has an insane skill set.

Uh, I may have jumped the gun with that...they've been phenomenal since, last two nights were games they'd have lost two weeks ago, things are better in the camp clearly. Would be nice to watch one without the heart attack!

Boston back playing well but my lord what a performance from Luka last night - 60, 21, and 10.

The knicks however were up 9 with 33 seconds left and managed to be forced into overtime. 🙄

And Bol Bol was crazy again for Orlando, Denver must really regret letting him go seeing how much he’s improved since he left,

What to make of a bulls team that can come home from a three road win streak and lose to a team like the rockets, then two nights later come back from fifteen down in the fourth to beat a team like the bucks. You just never know which team is going to show up. One day I'm ready to see them blow it all up, another I think if they can sneak into the play off, or even the play in, and get Lonzo back, they would be a match for anyone.

Ultimately I think the inconsistency will be too much to overcome.

There are so many unexpected results this season. It’s anyone’s guess as to what will happen. The bipolar analysis after every bulls game is driving me cracked. I’ve had to quit podcasts and Twitter.

Donovan Mitchell with a 71 last night, thanks to the Bulls and their zero defence policy. 🙄

It's impressive on some levels for sure, but when you consider the Bulls shat the bed (again) in the last minutes, and that he scored 13 in OT AND THAT IT'S THE BULLS, it does kinda take away from it a little.

10 assists too though - again, thanks to the no defence Bulls! They have conceded some amount of points in games this year.

Boston rested Robert Williams last night against OKC, and proceeded to concede 150 points. Embarrassing. They clearly thought they just had to show up to win.

OKC were without SGA too btw.

it was the most points Boston have ever conceded in the first 3 quarters of a game and only the 3rd time they’ve ever let in 150 in their history.

• Advertisement

On another note, 12 different players have now scored 50 or more this season after Giannis’ 55 last night. Luka also has 3 50+ games.

The season is crazy. Random and crazy and amazing.

Lauri Markinnen goes for 49 in 36 minutes last night. You'd think they'd let a guy on for 50 play a few more minutes?

Back to the Mitchell 71 point game the other night - I posted this at the time but remember when Curry and Klay were going batsh*t crazy and had 50+ in separte games (Klay more than once, incl. 60 in 29mins) and Kerr sat them? Always said they'd regret those later in their careers. Think Lauri will be on the same boat tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

First in season trade is a biggy.

Vonleh sent to Spurs and immediately waived (along with Dieng)

The podcast you’ve been waiting for is here! Austin Rivers has a podcast!

Note: the above post may contain sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just watched Spurs v Warriors, it’s weird to see the Spurs be so average the last few years, I think their problem is that they won’t suck enough to get good draft picks, kind of stuck in no man’s land

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

I thought you were joking (actually I hoped you were) but nope, Austin f*cking Rivers has a podcast.

Kill me now.

They’re doing their best to suck this year and get Wemby (can’t type his full name as I’d be here all day).

Even if I was trolling I wouldn’t go as far as to make something like that up. It could be the greatest basketball podcast ever but I’ll never know because I’ll never listen to it. Even the ads for it are incredibly annoying.

• Advertisement

GS’s poor road form continues last night the Bulls. Looked very good in places but bad in others. Vucevic toes a career high with 43 against them - he could have had 50 tbh as he got clocked on a few made baskets and equally on a few misses with no calls.

Advertisement