Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRUMP to launch his own social Network - “TRUTH Social”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It's going to fail badly, sure for the too extreme to post to Facebook there is already the .win site for those kicked off Reddit.

I'd imagine the republicans really hope it fails too so Trump doesn't screw up their chances in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭briany

That makes it sound like the Republican party is still in the mode pre-2016 where the establishment of the party is still wary of Trump, but it seems to me that the Republican party can broadly be divided into 3 categories right now,

1) Trumpists who are parroting his talking points to get a foothold in politics.

2) Stalwarts who sense the way the wind is blowing with the voting base and either backing Trump or staying neutral

3) Opponents of Trump who are facing primary challenges and are facing being pushed either out to the margins of the party or out of it altogether

With Trump, the party faces a tough time regaining the presidency as the man remains toxic to many middle-ground voters. It's not that regaining the presidency would be impossible, but comes down more to what can happen to limit the voter turnout for the other crowd. In parliamentary politics, the Republicans will probably still be able to regain control, just due to the pendulum nature of it. Candidates can run on local issues and either distance themselves from Trump or align where expedient to do so

Without Trump, they'd have a hard time doing anything. Trump can tell enough followers to stay home and therefore wreck the chances of success for the party, especially in close contests where the party needs every vote it can get.

So, right now, it remains more advantageous for the party to keep backing Trump. He has the dead man's switch over the party of cleaving off a chunk of their support. If they want to cut him loose and be able to move forward, then all their think tank members are really going to have to start putting those degrees in Poli-Sci degrees to good use in figuring out how that can be done while keeping a shot at gaining power.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Perfect. His base of angry white racists is getting less and less significant while Trump himself becomes more deranged by the day. It's the best way to guarantee four more years of a Democratic presidency.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Hate to break it to you but Trump is favourite with some bookmakers to win the 2024 election.

Trump's base is just angry white racists?

Yet...

Trump infact garnered 26% of the total minorities vote, which was the second best showing of any republican candidate of the last 100 years.

Any poll of your choosing will show you Biden is bleeding approval among minorities:

He also lost the independent voters who played heavily in the 2020 election results.

In 2020 election he had a 13-point win with independent voters,
    Biden's net approval rating among independents in polls completed in September and October 2021 stands at -16 points.

If the election happened today would the result be the same as last year I don't think so, but will trump and Biden even be running in 2024 who knows?

I don't think either should but the very nature of US politics rarely gives the American people the candidates best suited to the Job, either way it will be entertaining as usual.

Post edited by Josephfromdowntheroad on

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I get the feeling that life was perhaps a little bit better in terms of social discourse, when someone wanted to soapbox about something, they quite literally just stood on top of a soapbox or beer crate. And you had the freedom to make up your own mind if they were talking sh!te or not.

Now, you need to literally invent your own media conglomerate just to get your point of view across in some sort of bastardized Frankenstein's monster approach to free speech. It's not a positive development.

Driving someone like Trump underground is dangerous. He has the ear of what maybe 80-100 million people on a good day? Not positive at all. Better to keep him on twitter (imho anyway).

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Google will delist it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Trump is a troll - he trolled the media, the CIA/FBI, the Democrats, etc. (Ultimately, this all backfired on him so that he effectively undermined and trolled himself. What a surprise! Making enemies of the media and the alphabet agencies seemed like such a smart strategy!)

Anyway, I saw this story and wondered what is it about trolls and the word truth?! They love it! I mean you see a handle like 'TruthSeeker' or 'TruthMan' or 'TruthMom1776' somesuch and you know you're probably dealing with a loo lah. What happened to people using old-fashioned decent handles likes MeepMeep2021? :D

In the interests of fairness, these people are the mirror image of the 'woke' who see themselves as participating in a higher type of consciousness and truth compared to their rivals, all of whom are, by implication, asleep. U.S. politics is vile. Irish people that embrace its MO and rhetoric should be forced to swim out to the Skelligs - if they make it, they can stay there, if they don't make it... oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

All the people who say “this will fail badly” are the same people who said he couldn’t ever win the presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I hate to break it to you but even in a 2 horse race the sure thing, odds on favourites have been known to lose, bookies odds mean nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I get the impression that they're really trying to convince themselves. They've invested half a decade in the orange loser. That's not the kind of time wastage you can easily walk away from.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Do conspiracy theorists want to be in an echo chamber? I'd imagine they want to get their message out on broader platforms.

That's why it's hard to see these type of social media sites working imo. Too narrow a user base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Great idea, Great Business idea,I can only see this as a positive move for Trump.

Really? I just see it as yet another grift, I suppose one more bankruptcy won't harm him though.

I just think he has a massive following and it will do well from that. It likely alot of his haters will also join to debate/challenge. How many million followers/users to be considered a success?

You do know it's been removed from the Apple store already right?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Strange that the democrats are shorter odds to be the winning party if trump is favourite to win.

Criticism of Trump is forbidden on his platform. It's not for discussion, it's a safe space.

I had no idea. Dont see it making a big difference.

DIdnt know it was launched already. Does it actually state that in the rules?

• Advertisement

you don't see it being removed from the second largest app store making a difference to its success?

Well, criticism of the platform isn't allowed:

I'd glossed over a headling saying it was Trump who couldn't be criticised. I'll see if I can find it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,827 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It states in the list of prohibited actions on the site

"disparage, tarnish, or otherwise harm, in our opinion, us and/or the Site."

"Us" would have to refer to the site owners, which therefore means Trump et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

are you basing that on your long experience on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

A privately owned social media platform banning you doesn't infringe on anyone's rights.

Ironically, Trump's site will be engaging in the same practices.

There's an element of trollism, (it that a word?) that likes to be contrary and stir things up regardless of the politics. I suspect trump's site will be just as much a target as any other.

Truth, lol.

Since he loves free speech so much, I'm sure all opinions will be accommodated.

I know nothing about social media and how many users are considered a success. I just think he will have enough users to be successful. What would be considered a success? 5, 10 , 50 million?

• Advertisement

How? He's like a crap version of King Midas. Everything he touches turns to fecal matter.

Advertisement