Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options

Comments

It's feedback.

Is t giving out kinda the whole point of this page?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Thanks for that. Will colour coded cards be coming back? The old yellow and red ones were a nice, simple visual that I think were understood by everyone. I'm saying that as someone who has picked up the odd yellow card myself 🤭 It was always good to know that certain posts had been seen by the mods and actioned if necessary.

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

“Good enough” isn’t feedback. It’s a dig.

Hi Tork,

The current warnings on posts are very visible and even more obvious than the old yellow/red card system. It’s just that at the moment they are not visible to anyone other than the warned poster and the moderators. So not very useful right now!

When it’s resolved it will be a great feature, I think better than the card system.

I take it that he's saying "this place has tanked and ye (owners/admin/mods) deserve it" and imho that's feedback. It's not charming, but I would have thought of someone wants to pick up on it he should be asked to develop the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Interesting. Would you be able to link to a post that has received an infraction? I'm curious to see if the API delivers that information, I could add it to my extension

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Well I did ask what they meant and they didn't really clarify. Maybe they'll come back and explain.

I just think, to use the cliché, you can be part of the solution or part of the problem. And I just don't understand the mindset of a person who seems to enjoy being part of the problem by cheering the problems the site is facing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not one single person is part of the problem. Vanilla is the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't recall the exact date the site was migrated but I think this is the result of there being little, if anything in the way of substantiative change. There have been some incremental improvements but I can see why people are frustrated though of course, some people just enjoy being cynical and negative for whatever reason.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Some horrendous moderation is a large part of the problem, and how it's being managed. Since there's so few bodies around the remaining mods can basically do what they want, without reprimand seemingly. This is from banning posters they don't agree with, manage narratives of controversial threads to their personal position and changing charters on the sly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

This is a great point. Why is no one talking about this?

The modding was always an incoherent mess, with no consistency at all. You could get an infraction for, say, a comment about a footballer on soccer. The same comment could appear in a topic title about a politician in politics and it would be fine. You can make outrageous comments about at least one ethnic group that probably should or would result in a permanent site ban if made about other ethnic groups or minorities. It's as if Mods were never sat down and told "this is the strategy, this is the line". Obviously there are issues that are more relevant in one group and less in others, but that's a lack of any underlying thought or philosophy across the site.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You have started various threads complaining but you still want to drag your grievances into any thread you feel you can. Your complaints have been fully dealt with.

It sure looks like you're attacking the poster and not the post! 😁

Anyway, hands up, I've haven't seen the issues "fully dealt with" at all. Where, for example, has anyone coherently explained why certain ethnic groups can be targetted and others can't? I do recall one thread where you or some mod conceded that they hate threads about that ethnic group, an admission that underlines the incoherent mess I referred to above.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is not a site where you simply post in as many threads as you can to get your point across. In this case the poster has made complaints that have taken up a lot of my own time. They have been given explanations and TBH I have much more pressing issues on this site to deal with rather than giving the grievances of a single poster undue attention (and the issue they have raised has received a lot of attention from myself, and taken up a lot of my own time when there are many more deserving "causes" across this site)

So far as I am concerned their issues are resolved. Of course they are not happy with the resolution, but equally not everyone can always be right and sometimes people have to accept decisions and move on

Indeed the fact I am here posting about their grievances yet again is highlighting their undue demands on limited site resources

Different forums have different rules. That has always been a feature of the site

This is a new tactic from the moderation team and administrators that I've started to notice. Declare a problem or issue dealt with, when it's far from the case.

In the help desk forum, there is a long thread (not mine) on an individual that was banned for essentially holding an opinion counter to the moderator. You (beasty) reviewed it, and in your determination referred to part of the charter he contravened. When it was pointed out that particular line was relatively recently (i.e. within the last year) ninja edited into the charter by the same moderator, you ignored the requests for comment on why ninja editing charters was seemingly ok now, declared the matter dealt with and closed the discussion.

Boards may have been able to get away with this kind of nonsense of circling the wagons when you had two new posters for every one that left pissed off with the place - but that's not the case now.

My above post was not in relation to any particular grievance I may have by the way. And haven't opened multiple threads on the issues I've had, so you should retract that. Just two in the past year, for different moderation issues, or are we not meant to do that now for fear of having it thrown back at you? Good attacking the poster instead of the post btw. Nice.

Drop it or you will be threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My feedback is that the posters hitting the report button should argue their point instead of hitting the report button and being offended about everything.

• Advertisement

Surely its clear there needs to be a dozen more mods, lads

You can't really engage with a poster that's personally abusing you though. I reported several abusive posts yesterday, and over the past while but doesn't appear that any meaningful action has been taken though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are plenty of mods. They just don't have the tools to do much

There are plenty of mods, but since the change to vanilla, a lot of them are either inactive or a lot less active.

There needs to be a new moderation team anyway, a clear out of the old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A new team would not have any tools either. There is not a lack of willingness to mod, there is a lack of tools to allow effective modding.

Equally the tools we usually use to source new mods are not there either so it is unclear how we would even go about getting suitable candidates

I'd equate less mod activity on the site with an unwillingness to mod. It's not as if these phantom mods are contributing as posters - they've disappeared.

It's almost though that there has been a complete change in how mods interact and explain their actions since the change to vanilla. You don't see the on thread warnings as much, or Bans for abuse. I looked there at the threads I reported yesterday and it seems that a few posts have been deleted - posts abusive enough to warrant at the very minimum an infraction (calling a poster an idiot would be thread ban worthy imo), yet no sanction for those engaging in that abuse.

It's not just about tools, but communication too.

We cannot ban other than at site level at present

If we do apply a warning that is no longer visible (unlike the old yellow/red card system)

Any personal abuse that is reported will normally be dealt with (certainly in the forums I moderate)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

No forum bans?

I don't know how ye haven't upped sticks and walked away-perhaps many of you (mods) have.

Can't say I agree with that in a general sense. I'm seeing lots of personal abuse across the site (some forums it's fairly bad), and it doesn't look like it's being actioned. In fact, it looks like abuse has slipped down the actionable pecking order and isn't considered serious at all.

This is resulting in good posters (the type that make three/four contributions a day - you know, the ones you need to keep) interacting a lot less frequently with the site - effectively being run out of forums. So what you might say - don't let the door hit them on the way out. Well a site that's losing contributors won't be much of a draw for anyone.

No one should have to suffer abuse here, no matter their viewpoint - it will end up killing the place (along with the awful navigation, has to be said)

• Advertisement

It shows a fundamental misunderstanding at Mgmt level about what a broad spectrum forum needs to operate. Can't believe that tbh.

They'd have as well wound up the site tbh, if they couldn't afford the proper software. This vanilla is effectively throwing good money after bad. At least it's not mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement