Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you make allegations then at least be prepared to provide some evidence. Whinging isnt helping anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/110236102#Comment_110236102

id presume thats the thread, hasnt been posted in in over two years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

its a horrible thread.

Shows there was a problem with moderation standards long before vanilla made an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Muffler, Beastie … any comment on the thread and why it still exists here?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First of all it aint my forum so cant help. Secondly, even if I were a mod there I wouldnt trawl back through a couple of thousand posts 2 years after the fact.

Why have you left it this length of time to raise your concerns?

• Advertisement

First of all I didn’t ask for your help. I asked for your opinion but seems you don’t have one.

Secondly, have you read my posts? To repeat, I did raise this with the forum mods at the time to no avail. I’m raising it now as Beastie was talking about protecting people and insults etc … I was simply highlighting what I saw as hypocrisy.

Read the thread properly before posting again and accusing people of whinging … might give you a better understanding of what’s being discussed.

if you really mean this the Everest thread should be deleted.

Time to put up or shut up Beastie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I sometimes wonder what his baby daughters will think when they grow up and start Googling their dad. That thread is an utter shameful disgrace and it has been viciously defended by mods.

It's hard enough to find now, I'd love to share your optimism about boards still being around in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,501 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've reported some threads for merging as search not working so duplicate threads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This was a problem with Boards before the migration. Total disrespectful nasty threads like the one you mention (which I do remember) as vicious were order of the day. Anyone objecting were labelled woke.. it must be difficult for anyone close to it to read, sorry you are upset. It’s totally understandable. Keyboard warriors don’t care there are real people at the end of these threads.

in another thread, a persons rip was put up together with photos of their home to slag off. I reported it and the RIp link was removed but not the mocking comments.

so inconsistent modding leading to lack of respect has always been a challenge, but a different issue than here, where mods don’t have the tools or resources they need to deal with reports.

There are some really good mods.

It must be said despite the hassle he is receiving, Muffler is doing a great job in one area pushing back against the type of behaviour you reference

Post edited by anewme on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

CA is plagued with reregs at the moment.

Though nothing new there I suppose.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's not in a Forum I have ever moderated and your claims I have some knowledge of it as a problem thread are unwarranted

I note that rather than just pointing to the thread your next contribution is to challenge both me and muffler directly. That is unacceptable as is your overall behaviour in this thread. If you wish me to review a 2k post thread I would suggest you show a little more respect

Now to the processes around here

Did you report any of the posts? I cannot find any, but I realise the search functions make finding them a far from straightforward exercise

Once you had reported stuff, your next avenue was to PM the mods, which appears to have taken place based on your comments

If you are not satisfies with the outcome, approach the CMods. If still not satisfied start a thread in Help Desk where you are more likely to have access to Site Admins

You do not await a suitable thread in Feedback to pile into throwing around accusations like you did

When I get some time I will have a look at the thread. However as I am so active on this site with other responsibilities that may take some time (and that may be weeks rather than minutes). I am not going to delete a thread simply because you demand it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

AH is the same. The Man's Job/Dating thread is riddled with them, some posting absolutely horrible stuff about women and one in particular directing serious personal abuse at another (male, ironically) poster. I've reported several posts but it's shouting into the void, unfortunately.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can you not give mods a chance rather than heading over here to highlight your cause? The thread was only opened yesterday

Anyway, to give you the service you are demanding I've just looked at any posts I can see you have reported and if not already commented on by a local mod I have acted as I see fit

That's a bit unfair, Beasty, I'm not "demanding" anything and have generally been on the side of the mods throughout my time on Boards and in my posts on this thread. It's just *incredibly* frustrating to a be a genuine, good faith poster in most forums these days because of the level of arseholery and downright hateful behaviour a lot of people are getting away with at the moment. My fear is that we're going to reach a tipping point where the "good guys" are just going to give up and leave and the lunatics will be left running the asylum. It's already happening in some forums, imo.

It's not unfair at all. You've decided you have not seen mods acting quickly enough so you have (like other posters have done) piled into this thread to highlight your cause. It's the likes of you that discourage people from actually turning up to do any modding.

I absolutely refute that I've engaged in a pile-on in any way and I think a re-read of my posts in this thread would support that. People's issue isn't with not seeing mods act quickly enough, it's not seeing them act *at all* in many instances. You said yourself only a few posts back that you're doing a lot more than most (which I agree with and which is why I'm genuinely puzzled at the pile-on accusation).

If we accept that the reporting function isn't working properly, which we have, and that PMing mods with links is often difficult if not impossible, which we also have, then how else are people supposed to flag problematic posts if not on threads such as this? That's a genuine question, btw, not another demand or attempt to pile on.

Give the mods time!!!

You should not be expecting us all to be here 24/7

Thread is now no more than an opportunity for some posters to have petty jibes at mods

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement