Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post-War FUN: The Late Late Toy Show-Friday 26th November

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't think it could survive on that budget at all. Which would (hopefully) force them to make the correct cuts. Make shows that could retrieve money.

I have no problem with TG4. It doesn't seem to pay or demand stupid money, and has made some excellent shows in the past.

Tubridy gets close to €500,000 a year (and whatever else), and brings nothing to the table. A public funded service done properly wouldn't be bad at all imho. It would allow us to pay what what we think is deserving the cash. Almost all of the other presenters or 'personalities' on RTE actually do something, or maybe have something. I genuinely cannot think of one single thing that Tubridy does or says that is deserving of that wage. I don't necessarily dislike the guy, but he has not got a personality deserving of that wage or the shows he presents. I have no doubt that there are naturally better talents that could bring out much more in people both in interviews or through the audience that would settle for a fifth of that wage (or less).

One thing that really irks me about him is his insistence that it's 'begrudgery' if somebody calls him out. If I'm honest, a part of me wouldn't mind seeing how he would react if a system was brought in, and he suffered. Then again, it may force him to up his game and show if he actually has got any talent, which might leave many of us eating our words, but being happy to do so on a Friday night. It'll likely never happen unless they start by introducing more cuts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I would rather we decide what sort of PBS we want and how we want to pay for it rather than have a round of cuts and sackings with no plan as to where we are going.

Agree about TG4 they do some good work.

I don't think individual preferences regarding RT or other presenters are central to the debate on the future of a PBS. The amount they are paid while large in personal terms is a small fraction of the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saying abolish the TV licence is all very well but the last thing we need is another channel of VM-style dross. Not that much of RTE's output is all that much better...

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement