Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q And poor Wifi signal - Nesh Wifi/Wired APs advice.

Options
  • 21-10-2021 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry for repeating this question, I already asked it in the Wifi section but I've barely reached double-figures with the views, and no replies. I asked if a Mod would move it, but I don't know if they even saw it, and I don't know what Mod I should be specifically asking.

Anyhow...

We got Sky Q earlier this year. We have the Sky Q Hub in the hallway, and then the main Sky Q Box in the sitting room (next door to the hallway), connected via Wireless to the Sky Q Hub. We have no other Mini boxes or anything like that.

However, Wifi signal was always poor in the other end of our house (we live in a long bungalow) and it's gotten worse since we got the newer Sky Q Hub.

I've been looking at TP Link Deco (either E4 or M5) to try to get decent wifi access throughout our house. I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure it.

From what I've read, the Sky Q Hub can't be changed to Bridge mode, is that correct?

If it is, that means the Sky Q Hub will stay in router mode, and the Decos will be in AP mode?

I've also read advice to plug a Deco into the Sky Box in the sitting room using an ethernet cable, and turn off the Sky Wifi on the Sky Q Hub AND on the Sky Q Box. Is that a good plan?

If I'm doing that, does that mean I need three Decos, one to plug into the SKY Q Hub, one for the SKY Q box in the sitting room, and one for the kitchen were the issues are? Is it possible to buy individual Decos (for example, the E4 comes in a pack of two, but I could need three)?

Finally, if I could run ethernet cables up in the attic, could I use some Wireless APs, all running off the Sky Q Hub ethernet ports, would that do a better/easier job? And if it does, what APs would be recommended, I'm guessing I wouldn't need a full mess solution in that case? I think the Sky Q Hub only has two ethernet ports on the back of it though, so that would restrict me to two APs?

All advice appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Hi,

I don't have Sky broadband but they do offer Sky Hub Boosters . Google them. You can buy them off Amazon if Sky Ireland will not provide you with one. You should complain about the poor WiFi to Sky and push them to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your reply.

I was looking at the Sky Hub Boosters, but to be honest I'm wary of them. As the Wifi Signal from the Sky Q Hub is so poor (and a quick google shows that I'm not the only person with that issue), I'm reluctant to spend money on more Sky equipment, I'd rather implement a solution that actually works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Are you on xDSL or one of the Siro packages?

Generally while the Sky Hub cannot be bridged (depends on the model) it can be however replaced and use a different router (again depends on the service) My suggestion would be to

1. Get some good Ethernet powerline adapters one with Wifi on the 2nd node. Connect 1st node to Sky Hub and then the 2nd wifi enabled node down the other side of the house.
    2. Get a new and better router than your Sky Hub, however Wifi is Wifi and whatever is making the Wifi signal poor at the far side of the hosue will still cause you degradation of signal, just maybe not as bad as the Sky Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well, in the end I followed some examples online, though they weren't quite the same as my set-up, I don't have any Mini boxes or anything.

I got a 3 pack of Deco M5s along with some ethernet cables and a small TP-link switch. Ran a cable from the Sky Q Hub into the Switch, and ran three cables from the switch into the sitting room beside the Sky Q Box, and also up into the attic and back down into the kitchen and home office. Put one of the M5s at the end of each ethernet cable.

I then plugged the PC in the Home Office into the M5 using the other Ethernet Port on it, and did the same on the Sky Q box.

Configured all three M5s as APs only, turned off Wifi on both the Sky Q Hub and the Sky Q Box, and created the SSID on the M5s with the same details as the SSID that used to run on the Sky Q Hub.

And that was it really, my Home PC and Sky Q box are now wired, and I've three APs in the house providing what should be excellent cover. So far so good anyhow!

Advertisement