Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiking.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Perhaps you also have lived an innocent existence up to this. That is good for you in some ways and not so good in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've heard of pubs and barmen selling watered down drinks but never selling double shots or more as ordinary measures, how do these pubs make profits ?

No, I can't say that I have. Going by yours you weren't working in that bar anyways because the bouncers had dragged all the non-local fellas out by closing time.

Have you ever traveled abroad? Ever been up to Dublin even? Or maybe even your county town? It is good to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’ve been all over the world. Plenty of place worldwide pour straight from the bottle with no measure. If you’re ordering drinks and don’t notice this, it’s on you. It’s not a coordinated worldwide conspiracy. I’ve seen it from Spain to US to Fiji to Australia. Leave a decent tip and they’ll generally give you a decent sup.

It is your responsibility to know what you are drinking, no one else’s. You seem to hang out with some wreckless, feckless people who don’t seem to know the meaning of personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Of course. Ever seen a drunk person refuse a drink because they had been served a stronger measure than they had paid for? No, me neither.

I understood your post the first time. There is no reason why the drunk ones wouldn’t have noticed the extra measures unless they were totally off their tits already. These are the types of idiots that wonder the next day what exactly happened to them the night before and then conjure up a version of events by which they were blameless.

I am not Irish and believe me: We spot you guys from afar because the drinking culture is a league of its own. No need to spike anyone if the drinks are accepted so graciously.

• Advertisement

Drink is a lot cheaper in other countries.

I'd suggest in general that you avoid these cheapo places that water down their drink. It may be a false economy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭banie01

RTE actually published an interesting article. That was recycled from the conversation.

Dr Lata Gautam is quite an accomplished forensic and criminological researcher and I have sat in a couple of symposiums that she participated in. Very interested to see what her new work throws up and if can shift the current academic paradigm. Of particular benefit in this research by Dr Gautam is her experience in forensic chemistry.

The article itself outlines some survey work that does raise questions. If the survey result can be reconciled with practical research? For the research to gain traction and be statistically relevant. It is of course important for those who suspect they have been spiked to seek help and to report at their earliest opportunity.

It will be interesting to see how that new research compares with previous and by now very likely outdated research exemplified by this from 2006. Abstract below and the link to the JSTOR is: https://www.jstor.org/stable/23639603

There is a stark contrast between heightened perceptions of risk associated with drug-facilitated sexual assault (DFSA) and a lack of evidence that this is a widespread threat. Through surveys and interviews with university students in the United Kingdom and United States, we explore knowledge and beliefs about drink-spiking and the linked threat of sexual assault. University students in both locations are not only widely sensitized to the issue, but substantial segments claim first- or second-hand experience of particular incidents. We explore students' understanding of the DFSA threat in relationship to their attitudes concerning alcohol, binge-drinking, and responsibility for personal safety. We suggest that the drink-spiking narrative has a functional appeal in relation to the contemporary experience of young women's public drinking

Even someone as skeptical as me as to regards the extent of drug based assault finds the latter research very victim Blamey.

Tell the other poster above that doesn't believe that anywhere would pour measures that might be more than a standard Irish optic.

Dude. You are ignoring the other part of the account. The deliberate and systematic removal of ALL of the males from the group. Some of whom were not drinking. I wasn't drinking either but I was already gone back to the hotel at that stage.

A group of rowdy, drunken men ejected from a sleepy quiet bar, well knock me down with a feather.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of the way drinks can be poured , it's just your story sounds a bit different.

You left early, all the males were put out in the space of an hour or so, the girls stayed in this environment, did the sober girls not notice all the males being beaten and ejected ? It being a smallish type of spot and all that.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How do you know they were rowdy?

Where's your evidence to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I didn’t miss that part but it didn’t interest me. Bad for them, but if the girls stayed on on their own they clearly didn’t mind being separated.

God life is so unfair, I hope I can sleep now after this horrendous account you shared.

Well you see, the bouncers probably didn't start throwing combinations in the middle of the dancefloor. As I said, I wasn't there. But a buddy of mine who wasn't drinking had marks and bruises all over his ribs for days after it. A very quiet fella. He said it was whatever way they grabbed him and dragged him out.

The group was quite a large group as it was a composite of other smaller groups that had coordinated and traveled over from Ireland. We all would have known each other to some extent. Yes the sober girls noticed the fellas were all gone. But at that stage they were trying to get the drunk ones rounded up and out in a group (as I mentioned earlier). And also, some like myself (and some of the girls) would have left earlier anyway.

The behaviour of posters on here is very interesting. I don't understand the need to virulently attack anything and anyone. It's a bit sad really. Have ye nothing better to do with your collective lives?

What do you think ye are going to do? Convince me it didn't happen? Over what is effectively a non-story about a dodgy bar which, luckily enough, resulted only in a few hangovers and a few bruises.

What was a short account of something from a relatively long time ago has to expand into pages and pages of antagonistic shite.

Your own behaviour is peculiar to say the least , you seem surprised when posters engage with you .

If you think about it , you weren't present in the bar where all the males were ejected, some with injuries and a proportion of the females served copious amounts of alcohol so you didn't witness what happened.

It's entirely possible the males punched the heads off each other , fought the bouncers and got thrown out and girls went on the piss .

And maybe they all concocted a story to save embarrassment.

Fantasy.

Good man. Yeah you are right. Despite the fact that I knew the people involved, and despite the fact that I was present in the place with the up to fairly close to when things started to get dodgy, I have now realised that the story must a fantasy. Whereas what you have fully imagined in your head is the reality of what happened. You've managed to solve the crime using only the internet and your massive powers of deduction. Well done Inspector Clouseau 😉

There are so many bitter little people on here.

My account is fantasy , I definitely wasn't there.

I'm enjoying your stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

A definitive response to a definitive question.

I think you need to take a break old fella. You seem tired.

• Advertisement

You've given a third hand story where originally you said “I left reasonably early enough in the night. When I got up the next morning I heard that after I had left” , now suddenly you were there when it started to get dodgy, despite no mention of this originally and only mention of hearing about it the next morning.

I agree that it’s a fantasy. You’ve an active imagination, I’ll give you that.

The gas thing is that I assumed you were an oul' fella given that you apparently have no idea who Greta Thunberg is .......

Jaysus would you let it go lad. It's cruel watching what's happening to you in here. But you keep coming back for more.

Yeah I know. Some poster who apparently knows nothing about spiking or Greta Thunberg tried to link the two, thereby exposing only their own ignorance. Oh the humanity 😂

What did you do - read some thread about climate change where someone was trying to slag another poster by calling them "Greta" and you didn't understand what was going on but decided you might copy that yourself somewhere to try to seem smart?

Here is a a link to an article about Ms. Thunberg.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg . You can have a bit of a read up about her. Unfortunately, wikipedia doesn't have a "simple English" translation for this page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Last chance before people are banned from the thread, stop the personal digs and the meandering off topic.

Spikings has jumped the shark. Lottie Ryan is claiming she was spiked

Would it be fair to infer from you post that you assume she is lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I'd say it's extremely rare and you are going to get a lot of people jumping onboard the bandwagon seeing the opportunity to excuse that embarrassing night from way back yonder when they made a show of themselves after a few drinks.

Mad how it only seems to be people who are "not big drinkers" that get spiked. I've noticed that pattern. Didn't report it, didn't tell anyone about it, comes out with it a decade later. File under BS.

• Advertisement

• “Spiked with alcohol”. This reminds me of something a bit funny (in one way) that happened decades ago, in my 20s in my own family home.

My Dad had two neighbours in one evening for a chat, he had a small bottle of gin and poured himself and one of the men a glass of it and poured a white lemonade for the neighbour who was a life-long abstainer. The latter neighbour was very strict about never touching alcohol, and had never actually taken it in his life so wasn’t familiar with the flavour.

My mother was in and out of the scene with snacks for the men, and she noticed the teetotal neighbour had taken the wrong glass in his hands and was already consuming its contents. Ordinarily a very quiet man of few words, he had started to become uncharacteristically lively, in short order. He declared that the lemonade was absolutely wonderful in flavour, asked what brand was it, etc. Mum did not know whether to tell him he had consumed alcohol, and she tried to make some excuse that it was a rubbish yellow pack brand in order to take it away from him without his losing dignity, but he was not letting go of that glass as “it’s much nicer than my usual, it’s quite different!”.

So there’s an unlikely way for it to happen, but our good neighbour got inadvertently spiked with alcohol in my family home.

Another time, decades prior to that, my grandparents went to visit an Italian nephew in Sorrento, and he poured an alcoholic drink for my lifelong teetotal grandfather, who very quickly got extremely inebriated after unknowingly consuming it. The nephew, thinking it hilarious at the time, had been a prick to do that, and my grandfather was later very annoyed about it and they didn’t return for any Italian holidays.

Somebody unfamiliar with alcohol might not detect that they had consumed it, and be especially subject to its effects. Couple a small amount with even a travel sickness pill and that’s a heady cocktail for a body naive to substances.

Advertisement