Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiking.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No doubt there will be another spike in reports this week following college christmas kicking off.

Scenes of utter carnage in Limerick yesterday that started in early afternoon.

Edit

Removed a poor taste wink emoji, it was uncalled for and on a little reflection had no place on this thread, or in my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

McEntee revealed the statistics from the Garda PULSE system which showed 25 incidents in which a victim alleged they were spiked with drugs with a syringe or needle up to 25 November this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You got to love the subtitle for the article picture: “Closeup sterile syringe with drop of vaccine on end of needle placed against pink background”

Well maybe one day there will be a confirmed case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

This is like the "satanic panic", "McCarthyism" "sending the whole population iodine tablets" - absolute **** shite.

Maybe some shrink might say the Covid vaccine and the fear of needles (remember when you're a 5 year old?, especially girls) Has gotten into the national psyche or someshit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You'd think they'd be spotted, rolling down peoples sleeves and holding their arms to properly inject someone without a needle breaking off. Maybe giving out a free band aid when they're done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Undoubtedly drink spiking occurs and it is a serious crime and should be treated as so.

However what you are asking for in this post is blind faith. Belief without evidence. It’s standard in a debate or discussion to request evidence to back a position.

The evidence on the recent spate of reported needle spiking incidents suggests that in almost all cases no injected substances were found.

So the current evidence would suggest that the majority of reported needle spiking incidents did not occur as the victim remembers.

I think it is unfair to label people “deniers” because they look for evidence.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Aren't nightclubs absolutely covered in CCTV and security staff these days?

Surely it can't be too difficult to spot someone like this:

(also, considering how commonplace this apparently is why haven't we caught one maniac red handed with a syringe in his pocket?)

[img]https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1576431468464-f5f981bf142d?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&ixid=MnwxMjA3fDB8MHxwaG90by1wYWdlfHx8fGVufDB8fHx8&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1000&q=80[/img]

Post edited by Asus X540L on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All the media hype and contributors phoning in seems to have stopped.

Were all the hundreds of spikers out there in society scared off from their devilish actions?

Or maybe Brexit is affecting their ability to get the drugs they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have you ever actually seen CCTV from most businesses? It's installed simply because it legally has to be, and 9 times out of 10 it's the cheapest system available. Just like anything IT related, most companies see it as a nuisance expense so don't invest properly into it. Add in that some clubs don't even get proper cameras for the lower visibility in darker clubs, and ones that have terrible zoom ability because of basic quality...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Or as most of the data we have would suggest it just does not happen nearly as often as people say it doses,

The whole thing of doing it with syringe story that gone around lately is absolutely horse ****, I t may have happened once or twice but no more ,Just look at it form a common sense point of view the victim would feel it its painful so would alert someone one, the person accused would have the syringe on them in person or need to drop it so there evidence , Its like going back in terms of the crime actually just spiking someone & your far less likely to be caught ,

Don't get me started the Z list radio presenters who said "oh that happened to me" when it became the thing to talk about, you could have wrote them down before & you'd have them spot on , & of course none of them reported the incidents to the Garda,

Yes it does happen once in a blue moon and its dreadful & disgusting ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

It's basically a moral panic. 95% of these 'spiking incidents' happen to young ladies who had too much to drink and had sex with someone they wouldn't have done sober.

However, in our current society, men are always guilty unless proven otherwise.

I think the vast majority is simply to save face from friends or colleges at how drunk they get ,

No need it even bring anything else into it ,

What is wrong with you all? How dare you question anyone who presents as a victim?

I have been lucky to have been re-educated, and I hope you all get the same chance to be enlightened. There is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

It's was good to see, having been labelled a pervert and a threat to women on numerous occasions, that you were banned and re-educated for 'soap boxing'.

Well it’s the ultimate offence and I accept full responsibility. No more soap for me.

I hope you all come to your senses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, it's just gone silly with the last few posts. It's a pity because it's actually a pretty important topic.

Ultimately, there needs to be evidence to convict someone or to even believe an offence happened. Naturally with such a sensitive topic you'd need to look for evidence and keep it respectful to the person making the claim. Dismissing them as regretful slurs is childish, but to be expected. It would serve to discourage people who suspect they've been spiked from coming forward and ads an additional layer of difficulty for men who've been spiked.

Of course it happens, and I don’t think most people object to that idea. The thing that gets people’s backs up it someone starts a social media hysteria wave with unsubstantiated claims, as this causes nothing but damage. This should only be allowed when a case has been confirmed by medical professionals.

• Advertisement

Funny you mention medical professionals.

They were the one group that was never asked to appear on radio debates about the issue. Wonder why?

to me the above is Dangerous way to speak about at it ,

You have to be careful because it does happen every now and again and speaking like above is not fair on actually victims ,

So while its fair to Mass Hysteria is correct don't go hysterical in the opposite direction , there is of course a middle ground which where the discussion should stay to keep respectful to actually victims ,

Maybe this was mentioned ITT already, but there was an A&E doctor in Cork who said he hasn't seen one case of rohypnol(spl) spiking in 20 years, but what he has seen is a rise in young women drinking large and dangerous amounts of spirits...go figure.

When you think about it you could argue that Alcohol itself is mass hysteria. For anyone who uses it it will cause immeasurable damage to your health and finances, and that's just the people who have "the craic" on it.

• Yes, alcohol is itself a powerfully damaging intoxicant, has profound effects on the nervous system in the long term when taken to excess. Few enough people actually realise or acknowledge the range of effects, including WKS, a syndrome caused by lack of Thiamin which severely damages short term memory. Having seen a couple of people with it, I’ve studied a little bit of the physiology and was quite stunned to learn that the micro blood vessels in the brain are dependent on the vitamin to retain their structure and that this neurological syndrome is due to break-down of these vessels leading to micro bleeds which cause the damage. With repeated excess alcohol consumption over a while Ketoacidosis can set in, which is a metabolic disorder (similar to diabetes) causing behavioural changes, which can be quite significant. Given a certain amount of Thiamine deficiency, add in a particularly heavy night out after a series of them, and there could be significant memory black-outs which may lead to a state of paranoia and black-outs.

That said, people who believe they may have been spiked must be listened to and not always presumed just to be plain drunk. Very few will present themselves to medical care, so real stats are simply not available.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s also very important to know that people can be spiked by alcohol also, which if someone needed hospital treatment would just look like they had too much in their system.

True. But at what point should a situation be reported as a spiking case in the news?

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've been spiked a few times , by the same person. I believe. No way of proving it though.

Ah, assuming anyone who makes the claim they've been spiked is a "cock gobbler" is exactly a dopey as believing they were all definitely spiked.

But you show what you are with assumptions like that. You've made your position clear.

Haven't seen or heard any mention of spiking in the press or media this last few weeks, despite us being in the main party season of the year.

Very strange, you'd expect it to be rife this time of the year.

• Advertisement

You're using the terms InCel friends would use.

Advertisement