Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiking.

Options

Comments

Or like many before them these women voluntarily ingested too much booze and/or drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm amazed that they can actually use them in dark crowded areas without being spotted and without sticking it into themselves.

Remember the videos from China, where the police snatced people from the streets, with videos of them using syringes of sedative. The victims noticed, fought like hell, and the injections were given very deep into big muscles. None conked out within a minute either

A chloroform soaked rag would be quicker and more discrete than an injection

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would be neither and you'd have plenty chance of killing someone.

I don't really believe anyone is successfully spiking people via injections. It just doesn't make any sense. Though that doesn't preclude idiots from trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Have you ever seen a diabetes pen for insulin? I worked with a fella who had one years ago and it didn't seem to obtrusive. He used to just carry it around with him and the very odd time he'd have to jab himself after eating. It looked like he just took it out an pushed in under his t-shirt an pressed the button. I'd imagine that it would be possible to repurpose such a device, or to obtain similar devices that are even more discreet for nefarious intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I take these stories with a huge pinch of salt. Sure when I was out beering late 90s early 00s, the amount of times I heard "Jaysus, Mary was in a right state last night. She said her drink was spiked" and everyone just believed this without question. As if lads have access to powerful sedates up and down the country randomly chucking them into drinks for fun. And this was before the internet boomed so no easy online purchases. No- Mary got pissed and hit the vodka too hard.

I also recall an A&E doctor a few years back moaning about this- the amount of (usually) young women who present themselves in A&E claiming to have had their drinks spiked because they black and can't remember anything. Basically, in all his years in A&E he has yet to see a positive 'spiking'. Fact of the matter is that Mary got pissed and drank too much.

That is not to say some weirdo out there every few years up to no good.

It's a bit like telling your parents when you are 16 that you are sick after a night out because of the dodgy fish burger you had at 3am and not the 8 pints and shots when desperately trying to pretend you don't drink when you are hungover as fcuk.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s not the exact same at all.

Another person who has never been spiked denying that spiking takes place and telling people who have been spiked that they’re liars.

Christ this place is an absolute cesspit and features too many people who are borderline dangerous for women.

• Advertisement

Of course it is not the exact same. My analogy was following my own post about woman (generally) who would claim at the drop of a hat that their drinks were spiked when in reality they are trying to cover up the fact they just got pissed and trying to save face. No doubt they utterly convince themselves.

But your previous said there is a weirdo going around ‘every few years’

Spiking takes place in nearly every club around the country on a Saturday night.

Have you ever been spiked? Do you know what it’s like?

Spiking takes place in nearly every club on a Saturday night...really?

That's a pretty bold statement. Not being funny but what evidence have you for this and what do you class as spiking?

I have no idea how this notion has crept in that spking is such a regular occurance.

I asked you a question, have you ever been spiked and do you know what it’s like?

That is of no relevance plus you ignored my question.

Now back to your rather bold statement, where is your evidence/proof that spiking takes place in nearly every club on a Saturday night.

It is of huge relevance. You’re telling people here what spiking is like and how women who are reporting it are liars.

So your own personal experiences are of great relevance.

I’ll ask you again, have you ever been spiked and do you know what it’s like?

It is of no relevance that is my answer. I prefer to be guided by the medical staff who repeatedly rubbish claims of mass regular spikings such as the statement made by you. Of course it happens occassionaly but this notion of mass regular spikings every week is rubbish and there is no medical evidence to back this up. Of course, you may wish to count some lads anecdotal experience that he thinks he was 'spiked' but no medical tests to back it up.

Proof of spiking requires mnedical tests in a hospital. Ask anyone who claims to have been spiked..and I have plenty of times...did they go to hospital? No. Strange that. Self diagnosing spiking.

Once again. Where is the evidence to back up your claim that spiking takes place in nearly every club on a Saturday (not Friday night or Monday night mind).

You made the statement and I am simply aksing for some sort of link/evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The difference to be noted here is that insulin is a medication designed to be delivered to the subcutaneous layer. I know of no narcotic/sedative that is delivered in such a manner or via as fine a needle.

Any drug of that type is usually a large bore intramuscular injection, or small gauge intravenous.

You only have to look at an insulin pen needle funny for it to bend. Those needle are also extremely short to ensure that the medication isn't injected too deep. Noone is using that type of delivery device to inject narcotics. The whole point of spiking is to ensure compliance and control of the victim. Using a delivery method that is high hisk, visible and far more likely to fail than succeed?

Makes absolutely zero sense.

Whatever about drinks being tampered with, injecting as a method of "discrete" is a near impossibility.

And I explained to you that it is of relevance.

Why should I engage with you in anyway if you refuse to answer a simple question?

You won’t answer mine, so I’m not answering yours. Discussions work when both people actually engage in the topic instead of only answering the questions they want.

This suggests to me that you have never been spiked, and yet you’re pontificating about how women are liars and how it only happens every few years (where’s your evidence for this, btw?).

You sound like a child. Bearing in mind I asked you a quesiton first which you ignored but apparently two different standards apply here. I'lI be the bigger man- I have no idea if I've every been spiked. There you go.

I never said women were liars- where did I say that? What I said was people convince themselves that they were spiked when in reality 99.999% of the time they simply drank too much without realising it.

Now, once again. Where is the evidence to back up your claim that spiking takes place in nearly every club on a Saturday (not Friday night or Monday night mind).

You made the statement and I am simply aksing for some sort of link/evidence.

• Advertisement

You asked me a question first?

Some nice revisionism there. You didn’t ask me anything until you asked for evidence, that was after I asked had you been spiked.

You have made many statements and provided sweet f*ck all to back them up, so why should I go through all the effort when you refuse to answer a simple question?

I’m the child? You are the one refusing to answer a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think it's worth pointing out again that people thinking they've been spiked but only having alcohol in their system doesn't mean they haven't been spiked with alcohol. It's a much much more common thing to do I'd imagine. You don't need to literally render them unconscious, just disoriented and defenceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'd doubt this is a widespread successful practice, too difficult to pull off unnoticed. Has anyone been caught doing it and a syringe recovered? I haven't read many articles in depth. I'd have no doubt there would be men that might try it if the chances of success was high and detection very low

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

A lot of people will willingly consume copious amounts of offered alcohol without “needing” to be spiked.

So once we cut through the goal post shifting you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back up your bold claim that spiking takes place in nearly every club every Saturday night. Good man. At least be man enough to admit it.

I am not so sure about that i.e. it is much much more common. Think about it...what's the point? Fair to suggest that most people out in a pub/club will be drinking anyway so I am not sure that really helps.

I will try to find the article from the A&E doctors in one of Dublin's hospitald from a few years back bemoaning the nightgoers turnng up claiming to have been spiked. Even if we allow for the fact that not everyone will necessarily go to hospital the fact is he stated that over several decades he had never seen a positive spiking was interesting and he said his colleagues across the board said the same.

It was an article more specific to rohypnol which has thrown around quite a lot 20 years ago. Yeah like lads up and down the country have access to powerful drugs only available on prescription. If your drink is spiked with rohypnol you don't just black out for an hour or two...you are gone for anything up to 12 hours...you don't just spring to life at closing time to collect your coat wondering what happened.

I didn’t shift any goalposts. You were the one who wasn’t ‘man enough’ and refused to answer a simple question.

You have never been spiked but yet you’re telling women who have been that they’re liars because of one anecdotal A&E professional whom you have linked nothing to.

I can just as easily claim you haven’t a shred of evidence to back up what you are saying.

I can say with plenty of confidence that spiking happens nearly everywhere, every weekend, because I live in the real world where people are horrible bastards, and I don’t just dismiss every issue that is highlighted and proceed to victim blame.

Nobody is saying otherwise, but people here are flat out denying that spiking takes place and are calling women liars.

Alcohol (I believe) is one of the more common ways of doing it. Again people here look at everything in a black and white situation and just dismiss everything.

Spiking of drinks is one of those urban legends where the fear of it greatly exceeds the actual occurrence of it. When I was young everyone was scared of it, because there were always distant rumours, friends of friends, who had passed out drunk one night and blamed it on getting drinks spiked. For years I used to keep my thumb over a bottle of beer in a nightclub, until I eventually realised this was total hyperbole and most people there were just trying to have a good time.

I think the current trend has evolved out of Twitter. Spiking is so "hot" right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement