Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New fireplace

Options
  • 22-10-2021 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭

We're blocking up our old fireplace (see photo 1) and putting in an inset electric fire low down which will be flush with the new wall and a tv above that in a recessed box about 100mm with enough room for an upgraded tv (current tv 42'') in a few years. Something along the lines of photo 2.

The front wall of the will be studded and we'll face it with 12mm concrete board to finish it with sand and cement plaster so it's in keeping with the rest of the room.

What's my best option to connect power and satellite which are to the right of the chimney breast?

The top of the tv is going to be about the height of the lintel, so the bracket for the tv will be supported by the stud and concrete board, will this be structurally strong enough to hold a 16kg tv?

Also should I have a false door of some sort to run new wires for future proofing re connecting additional boxes such as games consoles.

We don't want to go too high with the TV as we don't want to be craning our necks when watching but we do want to have a nice tidy set up for all the boxes etc and a a sound bar. The best option we're thinking is fire low down with tv above and enough room for a sound bar and keep the boxes on a shelf to the left of the new fireplace.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tess80

Hi

I am looking to put in an electric fire similar to the one you have. Do you mind me asking how much it cost to adapt the fireplace for the electric fire?

Thanks appreciate your help/advice 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

TV is too high really unless you sit on a high throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

We did it as one big renovation job so not totally sure on costs, we took down the chimney (scaffolding and crane had to be hired), had to patch the roof and floor, move a stud wall, take out the old stone fireplace and put up the stud and concrete boards for the new fireplace and have it plastered. Not much change out of 6k I'd say when I put a rough calc on labour and materials but the Thrones are excluded from that price.

Advertisement