Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howth by night

• 22-10-2021 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭

I went back a few pages and couldn't see anything on this - I've been up Howth at nighttime on the road bike a good bit recently and it got me thinking of heading off road on the MTB. Does anyone else do this and if so where exactly? Up by the quarry and around that area, down to Bog of Frogs etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

By way of update I headed up Howth last night for the first time. As someone who's just getting back out on the MTB after a few years (and first time ever in the dark!) it was perfect, a nice mix of smooth and bumpier tracks. I stuck to the hiking trails from the Martello tower up to Shielmartin hill, across the golf course and up to the quarry, then back down the same route at a slightly faster rate :)

The steep climbs were hard work and definitely a shock to the system...

Really looking forward to making this a regular thing over the winter months. The combination of headtorch and handlebar light as advised on another thread worked really well - the fella who was with me only had a headtorch and will definitely get a handlebar light after last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think I'll keep this going for now on the off chance it informs anyone else thinking of doing the same thing. I reckon I have a 3 month window before the evenings stretch out enough for me to have to cut this off for a few months!

Been up a few times now and rode the new gravel bike last night instead of the hardtail MTB. Brilliant craic - did pretty much the whole cliff walk path as well as some other exploring. Really notice the reduction in grip vs the MTB as well as the impact of heavy bumps though.

Next time I think I'll explore the Bog of Frogs area off the beaten path on the MTB!

Advertisement