Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya it's just mental I was ready to forget about the forum for a while there yesterday but anyway......

Ya it's shocking the the sense of entitlement they have over people's private affairs and the most of them would have a far larger carbon footprint than most if not all farmers

John and Gretta have to be somewhat civil in their approach in real life where as an anonymous public forum .... well.........

Let's just say the mask slips rather easily with the most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

No they did not have off farm income .

More of your bolloxology. It was only when they had to start producing cheap food to keep the likes of you from starving that the need for off farm incomes arose .

Great point and very true.there was next to no supplementary income those Times also very sad for agriculture really agriculture has been Sacrificed to feed the plebs as the Romans called them and it seems it's going to be sacrificed again to keep the plebs in soft numbers for a while longer at least

I'm glad you have destroyed your habits bad ones are nasty😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

You forget I grew up in the Irish countryside and I am reporting what I know to be true. All my family had farms and off farm jobs.

I would go so far as to say that in the West and North hobby farming was the absolute norm since the foundation of the state.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

The 150bn is not per year! Jesus! That’s the cost over the whole lifetime of the current public workforce and will be paid over decades.

The 13 euro per head in the EU is an interesting take though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea, you're right, Iread it up properly after, 150bn is the cost of the pension pot required at the moment but it's going up by about 20bn/ year. The €13 cost per person is fairly nominal for what the public are getting........ No one else would give them back the bang for buck they're getting. If the public service gave the same value/work, we'd have ''state of the art'' everything. Cost of the childrens hospital would pay the BPS for 2-3 years

Part time farmers work hard to do that bit of farming, As I said before, I don't think I'd do it if I had a full time job, I'd have the farm set

Now your just trolling if they had a job it was because they were going to starve otherwise and the jobs weren't there for people 🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If this is true, I for one am flabbergasted

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1455437490639319040?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

just goes to show the misleading bullshit the media and government a peddling. Irish livestock farming has to be the most carbon efficient food production in the world. The grass that they consume absorbs massive amounts of carbon. A truly circular process.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Absolute nonsense. You besmirch our ancestors which even for a fool is a stupid thing to do . No family that I knew of when growing up had an off farm job or any other off farm income . They didn’t need to . They could make a comfortable living exclusively from farming relatively small farms .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Dont forget about the poor people working in foreign countries with their families scattered all over the world who they might like to visit and have visit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

What age are you, you must be in your 80's or 90's to make statements like that based on growing up in the countryside.

I'm a lot younger than that and born well after Ireland joined the EC in 1973 and I might be able to make a statement like that about growing up but I can't remember pre 1990 so it wouldn't support your point. I also suspect you are no older than I am.

The state was founded in 1922, I find it hard to believe there was that much employment in the West and North West 100 years ago seeing as even now these areas have less jobs than other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

And I thought I was banging on about it too much.

Cutting to the chase, what do you think is the actual point? Do you think Ciaran Fitzgerald is correct to say output is the "equivalent" of feeding 40 million?

If they're genuinely unaware that they are asking for the slaughter of existing stock without replacement, how do you think they'd react to the news?

I haven't any figures, but I don't find it hard to believe that farmers made a reasonable income in the early decades of EU membership. It was an important reason for joining at that time, and (IIRC) our national income was only about half of the (then EEC) average.

In you go back to 1922, of course, the one thing you find is far more farmers. There were about 360,000 farms in 1915 - which fell to about 140,000 by 2010.

Put another way, that's 200,000 farms that didn't survive as independent viable units.

Make of that what you will.

I think what said was

No mention of Ireland producing food for the equivalent of 40 million people

Based on your figures of being able to give 2 quarter pounders to 30 million people I would have to say yes.

If I went to your house and you gave 2 quarter pounders for dinner I couldn't say I wasn't fed.

At no point did he say all the food for them people was produced and equivalent means it's not necessarily 40 million different people consuming the food. Unless you felt he was lumping dog food in there I'm not sure how you could interpret equivalent as meaning the entire nutritional requirements.

Thank you, you're supporting my point.

Most farmers in the first 50 years of the state probably made a living off the land and weren't hobby farmers with off farm jobs based on those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

My father tells of a clergyman that came into the parish here would have been back in the sixties I think. An army man where it was his way or no way. He decided the rectories and land with them should be sold off and money go back to central funds and that a new age rectory be built on a couple of acres retained at one of the rectories. Parish meetings were called and of course the majority being farmers knew this was a ridiculous idea being that the land and rectories were only going to be appreciable assets to the parishes. The rector walked out of the meeting leaving the parishioners not knowing what to do and discuss it amongst themselves.

The feeling changed then as you couldn't go against the rector and the fear was the parishes closing. The rectories and land were sold for a pittance and it all went into an ugly looking three bedroom modern house on two acres. That rector left when his time was up. A new rector came in and proclaimed how he would have loved to have lived in any of the sold off rectories.

During the boom those same rectories were worth over a million while the modern rectory would be worth 350 at most. Then the land on top of that and income lost.

People are born, come and go. Nature, pigheadedness, stupidity stays forever.

• Advertisement

Farmers shouldnt worry about or waste their time with the nutter trolls on here, just wait for the upcoming food shortages and have the last laugh.

Our parish sold our rectory and land and used some of the money to build houses to rent as well as a new rectory., ... but for that our parish would be bankrupt, but it's only putting off the evil day really. churches will be defunct very soon

Replaced by the cult of climatetology. More dangerous than its cousin Scientology

interesting tweet on hypocrisy of of US president cavalcade leaving COP climate change in following link https://twitter.com/NicholaKane_/status/1455132416385892352?fbclid=IwAR2IFmfx-CcPEEmXtDpwM1kK30vohuwKhzwPIURFJNIKwPnF0lTcu8QEH8s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I think We Beef farmers in particular are being played somewhat into arguing arguing against our own interests.

You should never argue with an idiot because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.. we are talking their nonsense, trying to use their language and have gotten tangled in their bulloney and we are now have Meat industry Ireland sitting back chuckling at us!

We are fighting to produce beef just for the sake sake of it while a cartel of processors and uk retailers plunder our rural economy and we are fighting to couple cap money destined for social and environmental schemes to gift wrap it for deposit in Goodman Luxembourg bank accounts tax free.

We are looking to couple social and environmental funding toward beef production. Utter madness. Every single year prime cattle numbers reduced, farmgate profit improved. (Calf exports being what determines the outcome 26 months later)

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Essentially the measure of a good production system will have to be measured off their reliance on fossil fuels. But before we get slapping one another on the back and applauding ourselves we need to look at production systems in this manner first.

The bovine methane nonsense is so absurd at this stage it beggars belief. Cattle we are told “produce” methane.😂

matter cannot be made or destroyed it can only be changed from one form to another.

Catle can only release whatever they’re eating has absorbed. And what they are eating is going to rot and release it in regardless of whether its grazed or wasted.

unless if anyone spots their cattle fracking for gas,or donning miners helmets however then yes the idiots are correct...

Post edited by Jjameson on

While the dairy posters on here are planning how much compensation to charge for reducing the delegates in glasgow are planning a dairy tax and penalties for production 😂

Indeed, although in a context where national income per head was very low - maybe half the UK level - and emigration was rampant. The equivalent of 80% of people born in the 1930s emigrated in the 1950s, many from rural areas (because Ireland was mostly rural at that time). So it would be wrong to see the first fifty years as years of great farming prosperity.

Consider the full point. 60% of farms did not survive as independent units, which is highly suggestive of a viability problem. Put another way, if most farms ceased as independent units, then it looks like most farms in the 1920s were not able to sustain a living and most young people emigrated.

Run forward to today, and folk find they don't have to emigrate to find jobs with reasonable incomes. That obviously changes the context.

But I think the main point is you can't think about the first 50 years of the State without noticing the emigration and consolidation of farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Your figures are wrong by a huge factor, but you got plenty thanks for them which is good.

Advertisement