Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Heard on the business news on the radio this morning Germany have suspended approval of the opening of a new gasline from Russia to Germany. It's built. Just needs the approval to open.

Russia is not happy to say the least. Gas prices increased on the news of that.

Germany say they don't want to be more reliant than they are already on Russia.

If Russia play silly buggers again with It's military. They can cut gas supply to Germany. Similarly if Germany don't approve the opening of the new pipeline Russia can use the military card of invading Ukraine. Russia wins either way.

It's backwards the world is going lately. Bar you're fairly well up in Russia or China.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

And this is why we need to be so careful about how we approach climate change.this has come about because Europe in order to cut it's emissions has transferred alot of its power generation to gas.every action has a reaction and maybe northern one we planned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Idea being you produce green hydrogen when you have excess renewables on the system! Jeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You would produce green hydrogen from excess renewables.

If anything it shows the European grid is still very reliant on external suppliers and the sooner it can stand on its own 2 feet the better.

Ireland & Denmark have massive plans for off-shore & hydrogen production. I can see other countries ramping up investment in sustainable/renewable generation more and more over the next few years in order to wean themselves off the Russian gas supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

But in the 80s gas was seen as almost a waste by product, petrol was the premium product, and most power stations were burning coal, now the situation has reversed, gas is the premium product as everyone wants it balance out the power grid and nobody is allowed to burn coal. Therefore I don't think LPG would be a solution today especially as they probably tax the shell out of it like they do with petrol and diesel.

Might be the best thing that could happen in the long run. The exportation of our needs, technologies, and manufacturing to dictatorships and communist regimes was always going to come home to roost one day. Utterly stupid policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

But our government also intend to export or carbon emissions regardless of the financial consequences

I've got complicated politics, but it reminds me of something Reagan sad. People are looking to Government for the answer, when Government is the problem.

Operate outside them in so far as possible.

As far as I can see though there is still not an answer to the variability in renewables with out the back up of fossil generation.not that in itself is the worst battery as ultimately that what fossil fuels are ,they are stored power.the only problem is that it makes for expensive power due to double infrastructure

• Advertisement

Renewables, by their nature, are variable in output, 100% no argument there

To counter that variability and account for the output of fossil fuels, a grid has a number of options

1. Utilise interconnectors - Ireland has 2 or 3 already and another in the works to France and plans for another to the UK. No doubt in time more will be connected to other grids in the EU as the EU are putting billions into these
    2. Spread production across multiple renewable generators - This means a grid mix of wind / hydro / solar / hydrogen powered turbines etc.
    3. Expand energy storage capabilities - Short term, use battery banks, medium term use pumped storage, longer term use hydrogen. Ireland has plans for both the short term and long term and already has pumped storage.
    4. Surplus generation - If all off-shore generation and solar farms are built as planned, we will have more power than we can use, which in turn can be used to create hydrogen which then acts as a back up supply

So yes, its more difficult but its definitely doable and has to be done for a number of reason, not least of which climate change, energy supply security etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolutely, bureaucrats sitting in warm offices in Brussels making these decisions, offloading food and energy sovereignty to unstable untrustworthy nations is nothing short of madness.

A nation or union of nations that can’t feed itself and keep the lights on is prime for manipulation by those supplying these essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Russia are in there already Crimea... EU never really commented...

Long term the problem will cause the solution but in the meantime it will be the poorer sections of society that will suffer most as the largest portion of their income will go on food and heating whose prices will soar. As always governments react to problems, no forethought.

In my view your missing the biggest one and that's consumption manipulation.

Rather that just instead of flicking the switch when you need something that the demand in a business/home would be managed in accordance with supply,ev s could charged at certain times.know a fella that has a set up for his solar where the solar is used in 3 ways and they are tiered according supply each day.

Ah I see. Isn't that what smart metering is supposed to do? Admittedly I haven't familiarised with the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

matter cannot be produced or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.

Yes it will reduce cow fart methane, but is it now in the slurry, and is there any more than if the grass just rotted.

The methane nonsense will have to be parked at some point in a rational food production debate free from being skewed by animal welfare activism.

Fossil fuel use should be the measure. See how a 5€ chicken fares against organic/extensively reared beef and lamb..

• Advertisement

saw this on facebook.

Excellent response from a SkyNews Australia journalist to young people who have recently protested for the climate:

“You are the first generation that demanded air conditioning in every classroom; your lessons are all done on the computer; you have a TV in every room; you spend the whole day using electronic means; instead of walking in the scu wala, take a fleet of private vehicles that block them Public streets; you’re the biggest consumer of consumer goods in history, constantly buying the most expensive clothing items to be ‘trendy’; your protest is publicized by digital and electronic means.

“Guys, before protesting, turn off the air conditioner, go to school on foot, turn off your phones and read a book, make yourself a sandwich instead of buying packed food.

“None of this will happen because you are selfish, rude, manipulated by people who use you, proclaiming you have a noble cause as you translate into the most outrageous western luxury.

Wake up, mature and shut your mouth. Inform yourself about the facts before you protest.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

Is that the same sky news Australia that was forced to take down antivax videos. They're good at pushing division and fear, like all right wing news outlets

A stopped clock is right twice a day. You should always check before you dismiss it as wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yup .... I've been wondering about this - the methane is a by-product of anaerobic digestion - (ruminating) , and what's the point of a ruminant if not to ruminate ....

I assume that a lot of the reduction in methane was in feed lot cattle . ...so feeding expensive (in food terms ,in energy ,in carbon ,possibly value )

If you're going to feed a cereal based diet pigs and poultry are way ,way more efficient converters of cereal to body mass , but that's a whole lot more tillage which is (permanent) carbon heavy ... as opposed to grassland which is methane (temporary ) heavy ...

Plus if I feed pigs and chickens (or cattle ) on imported grain it's another countries problem , if I feed animals on home produced fodder its my countries problem.....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Unless the methane produced in the cows gut is converted to something less volatile ? Could ground charcoal (or bio char ) be included in the diet to help absorb methane ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Maybe seaweed will be the golden bullet ?

Maybe it'll be the next big "gold rush " huge seaweed farms off every coast being harvested and processed into cattle food additives -. Find the right seeweed replicate the conditions and water depth it prefers ,seed it and let it go ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm not saying it's wrong, but it is stoking tensions which takes attention away from the real offenders. Happy to let people argue amongst themselves. It's been proven that social media timelines are purposely filled with articles to piss people off, so as to cause argument. All designed by an algorithm with one thing in mind: to keep the user active on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭monseiur

The whole thing is laughable. Can't imagine South American ranch farmers, for example, feeding seaweed to their cattle. Even cattle tags, TB testing, dosing etc. is totally alien to them. Their business model is quantity not quality, so to increase and expand they practice what used to be known as 'slash & burn'. They basically denude huge tracts of the Amazon Rain Forest by burning the natural vegetation. Our so called 'experts' tell us that this Amazon rain forest is the lungs of the planet.

Yet farmers here in Irealnd, who produce the most enviormentally friendly / green / natural meat, dairy products etc. will be forced to reduce cattle numbers and let land go wild while the world's population is steadily increasing is on the verge of food shortage. The global market which Irish farmers will no longer be able to supply will be replaced with products form, what used to be, the Amazon Rain Forest and others.

Meanwhile as a tiny island in the north Athlantic is being crippled by spurious carbon taxes etc. etc. China, India and others ar building more and more coal filled power stations. It's about time certain people in power woke up and smelled and little more than cattle emissions !

or could we just accept logic. If cattle eat something with no fossil fuel footprint, there’s no “production” of anything new that wasn’t there before.

• Advertisement

Almost Nothing we do ( as a species or as individuals) , has a zero carbon ( or carbon equivalent ) impact .. but definitely some things are a lot worse than others -

I kind of doubt the efficacy of magic bullet cure all's - a lot of them are hot air -

Maybe some wonder seaweed extract will make cows burp less ( and leave more energy either for the cow or excreted as a wonder fertilizer - I doubt it + but it's worth checking ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement