Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Ditches being cleared out to make 2 foot of extra space causing excessive erosion and not holding up water like the land used to before.

Excessive slurry spreading contaminating water supplies,

sprays used just before corn is cut,

coatings used on some seeds are basically just poison's for birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What's factual incorrect in the daily Wire article...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with you, how many farmers used the guidance of (state) agri advisors and experts to implement these developments and farm improvements? There were ramifications if the "improvements" weren't implemented.

This is one area it easily becomes and "Us and Them" argument. These 'improvements' were required to increase output and keep food costs low, as a benefit to consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And just because it's organic doesn't mean it's better either for the environment.

On other forums there's pics of organic farmers out ploughing the land now and getting thanks from organic advocates.

You plough now at this time of year you're releasing nitrates into waterways. Then there's the soil carbon gasing off from the act of soil in that big disturbance. Its that big reason why farmers min till and spray off with glyphosate and call themselves regenerative.

Transgender issues don't affect farmers discussing Climate change issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

There are many ambiguities.

We have to do our bit.

We are way behind, especially Ireland

It's 15C outside here today and nearly November !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

All true all correct all well put together but my point still stands

Your points are great and well made but while humans are on this planet it's not going to happen. Now that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to make it happen but unless we have some technological breakthrough were goosed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Retraining to what end a lot of the jobs you are talking about will have to go if climate change is to be successful do people actually realise how Spartan the whole human race would have to become to have any hope of not damaging the atmosphere

• Advertisement

So now you're on their side?......Or did you just scour google to refute my point?

I also mentioned "Farming"...which has nothing to do with what you 'discovered'

Is this a legitimate argument to climate change you thing farming should use to defend our role .......

These are the same lovely bunch of lads that are probably committing the worst case of genocide since Hitler and Stalin were in action ( it's alleged cos obviously they are saying nothing to see here just big schools ) and you believe they are going to be carbon neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

China , like most places ,will do what suits china ... They're worried about climate change .. and are aware that they're 1.5 billion people and the second biggest economy in the world ... And there's often a disconnect between Chinese central ploicy and their regional politics

Oh and I'm not an advocate for Chinese government or their repressive politics -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

That reminds me of a saying I once heard, "there was a time when they were backward and ignorant, now they are ignorant and forward"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

There's a book called the dying of money. Worth a read, lots to consider about our current situation.

The world is a bigger and much more complicated place compared to when it was written but it has largely just resulted in a bigger and more complicated bubble to pop. Lots of the observations on inflationary monetary policy are at the root of what we see around us today, whether that's big tech that doesn't actually turn a profit or add value, or else it's the whole climate change agenda which will only strip real value from the economy and make everyone (except the elites) poorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

The climate has changed before, at one time this island was covered in ice. Who's to say that it wasn't 15°c on 26th October 1221?

Capitalist economics has us where we are. Its all about growth. This growth has lead to consumerism spiralling out of all control. If we stripped away all the needless stuff that we all have in our lives we could solve this in a short time.

Instead, we are In the disingenuous position of trying to scapegoat agriculture. The capitalists know that we are going to have to cut back on the crap that they are selling us at present. They know that we have to eat so they are thinking that they will produce our food in factories and save us from ourselves.

This is where the money is going to be made, it all boils down to money. The noise from vegans, eco warriors and do gooders like Mary Robinson is just noise to drown out the real conversation that needs to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Ciaran Fitzgerald always write a well constructed opinion piece on agri land. and we know from his time in the ima he's well able to bat for his team.

Rte would be afraid to ask him on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just in relation to the climate changing before bit. That is true, but the chart below is the reality.

There's no question but that human 'presence' on the planet is having a significant impact.

That being said, I largely agree with the rest of your post. Our focus on growth within every sector literally drives the economy which drives the energy use.

When you start thinking about changing that mindset and the likely consequence of dropping sales figures, profit margins and share price and the impact on that in terms of employment, business and the economy itself, then it becomes spiral of negativity until a new normal is realised.

But, that probably is what is needed (in conjunction with minimising the use of non-sustainable resources and reducing the use of significantly contributory factors where possible) and just how realistic is this to happen outside of everyone's attention being taken by some catastrophic event such as another World War for example? The financial crash of 08 should have been an opportunity to reign in the focus on growth/profit or the pandemic which is ongoing but in both cases the primary focus of many in charge was to get back to the way things have been operating ASAP.

We've seen how a large sector of society worldwide is willing to take the chance that it will be others who are affected most in the event of the most serious pandemic in 100 years so how do we move any way towards a collective push to do what is best for us a society in the long run above what is best for those alive and in control right now?

How do you deal with this mindset for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

It's heartening to see all the climate ads from the world's biggest companies on television all the time now. My favourite is the snotty children one saying to do more sustainable farming, that it's a thing now. That's Amazon I think. Beats ads from bookmakers I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Logistic firms seem to have a massive impact globally...its all a little ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Doing my bit for Global warming

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

If the climate change continues then it doesn't really matter what the root cause is, we won't bw farming in Ireland and neither will any of our descendents.

All we can do is try to slow it four grandchildrens sake and while we're at it no harm in cleaning up our waters and giving the wildlife that was here long before we came a chance.

Farming was never about grass and feeding as many animals as possible. That is the true lie that has been taught to farmers in Ireland over the past 40 yrs.

Who has benefitted from commercial farming?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Climate change won't affect me and probably the regulations won't either, but it's grossly unfair the way the farmers are made the bogey men in all this.

The youth are driving this big time but instead of doing as they say we should do as they do, they want change but are showing no signs of wanting TO change . I see a schoolbus stopping near here and no one getting on and then the parents then driving out in the SUV an hour later...... and that's just one example.

So I'll be carrying on as usual, burning trees in my stove

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

alot of them are hood at flying all over the globe as well

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Well that's my thoughts on it too. Yes I believe Global warming is happening. But no it all rolls back to the way people live. So I couldn't give a fiddlers no more than them fookers with there oversized houses, big cars and foreign holidays

If we are looking for bogey men, which is not hugely productive, it certainly isn't those under the age of 18. They are children, and it is unfair to ask them to suggest appropriate solutions or lead by example. We have to stop blaming them for the faults of the world and society in which they live.

They are behaving largely based on the instruction and example being given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If I heard Eamon ryan right this morning he said we shouldn't be criticising individuals, but I think if 4m individuals changed their ways it'd make abig difference. Anton savage said this morning there was four lanes of traffic on the M50 this morning, mostly one to a car, at 6.30 and it be like that for hours..

Car parking for the luas is now so expensive that it's cheaper to drive into the city,

• Advertisement

We are behind f all its proven Even intensive agriculture here is miles better than most if not all countries

Advertisement