Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’m talking well before Norman, Goldspear etc. I remember those varieties well, like it was yesterday. Before Norman etc there wasn’t any wwheat, down south anyway, and semi-dwarfism hadn’t been invented. All that was grown was swheat and it’d grow to 4-6 feet tall…40-55cwt was a good crop. However specs would be much better than they are in modern wheats and a lot of it went for milling.

Norman was a game changer. It was some of the first of the semi-dwarf wwheat. It was a veritable 4 tonner. Any way at all you grew it, 4 ton/ac was réalisable. However with shorter wheats the wheat disease complex quickly became prominent. But these diseases were simply treated with the likes of Carbendazim (MBC), Baleyton cf etc. Nowadays the natural resistance in cereals seems to be non-existant. It’s my argument that these rustic/resistant traits have been bred out of modern wheats. There’s a leading agronomist from the premier seed importers/multiplicators in Ireland calling here for a couple of days this week and of course we will renew the argument. He claims that the natural resistance hasn’t been lost, but the disease strains are evolving to be more resistant to chemicals…he does concede however that due to severe inbreeding of modern varieties, there could be some genetic traits that could possibly help disease resistance, lost. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Jeez elperello, you’re some buzz kill. Of course what you say is true…but everyone knows that and what was passed on was just a bit of fun, and everyone knew that.

I wouldn’t agree entirely with your statement that newspapers aren’t there to brainwash us. Of course they’re not there to brainwash us, but they do take a position and sometimes go as far as taking an agenda…whether it’s cows are killing the planet, when everyone knows that it’s burning fossil fuels…to Bezos getting his Washington Post to print a ‘serious’ article on why the rich shouldn’t be taxed.

Either way most MSM have an agenda, one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

30 private planes landed in Shannon over the weekend for jp pro am. Its a bit much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

One doesn't even have to look across the water at the UK rags to see an agenda......plenty of evidence of it here over the years too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I plead guilty as charged for not recognising your hilarious brand of humour 🙂

I'm glad we sorted out the bit about about newspapers and brainwashing though.

Having an agenda is not the same as brainwashing.

They would need to be up early in the morning to catch you out anyway.

To finish on a serious note, I reject the MSM tag and would prefer a good newspaper, tv/radio station to most of what turns up online masquerading as opinion or comment.

A lot of those folk have agendas too and half the time you don't even know who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

It's really hard for a farmer to follow whats going on in the crop breeding world, certainly pre social media we had no exposure to much international knowledge apart from the odd expert who came to the various conferences, I would say that for a long time ITLUS was the only organisation which tried consistently to bring producers, industry (either agrichems or breeding) and researchers together. As I said earlier I never got a full explanation for the decline of nodorum and the rise of tritici. Certainly the dwarf genes meant that produced leaves closer together let the splash diseases jump up the plant more easily. To be fair t the breeders there is resistance in varieties, but it's not robust and durable, look at what's happening with wheat varieties with the "cougar" gene at the moment, the writing is on the wall for them, even before they fail completly as no breeding house wants to multiply them any more.

Yellow rust is another example of that, varieties and succomb in a season and go from resistant to susceptible in a growing season. Which brings us back to climate (bollixology or not), my own feeling is that a combination of milder winters and the fact that we seem to get a lot more northeasterly winds in late winter/early spring leads to much higher infection pressure, with inevitable results.

Yellow rust is a nasty pathogen. With drier springs etc and more susceptible varieties it poses a significant risk. Once it gets into grasses etc there’s always going to be high disease pressure given the right weather conditions. Even worse the older chemistry that was most effective is now banned. Stem rust is starting to poke its head here and the UK.

In my experience all varieties succumb to yellow rust fairly quickly, but some are definitely very susceptible. It’s one disease that can sweep a crop in a few days. The organic lads find mixing 5+ fairly resistant varieties together to be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I can see the logic of multi variety crops , (wether it's grass or cereals ) ,but even more the idea of multi- species crops ,

So field beans and peas , or wheat- red clover, especially if it's going to be used for crimping or alkalage it makes the harvesting timing a bit easier ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Is there anything in the development of different varieties that is linked to the increase in the numbers of people who are gluten intolerant. Even 20 years ago you'd very rarely hear of anyone who was coeliac, I'd never even heard of the word gluten. Then it seemed like every second person you met couldn't eat gluten. Is there anything in the actual crop that could cause it, or was it a fad?

• Advertisement

I’ve tried companion cropping. The best results were from wheat/lucerne, but due to disease problems I can’t grow lucerne any more.

I’ve yet to see two crops at the same time to be any good. You’ll have 2 or 3 poor crops, whereas one crop on its own could be excellent.

My theory.

I suffered badly as a coeliac when living in Ireland. Moved to France and never had a problem. I reckon that it’s the preservatives in the bread etc are what caused it. No preservatives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I joined a regenerative forum years ago on another forum. Went to Nots talks too.

I'm from the so called conventional side of agriculture but with a lean I suppose towards what is called regenerative. I aspire to the techniques.

However at the start I could see maybe a little self praise from some in the movement that they thought they were immune from what I could see was vegan warfare disquised as environmental awareness on farmers. The movement thought they were safe and had it made for a quiet life.

Fast forward five years and now George Monbiot has taken the environmental campaign by storm with his attacks on regenerative farming with livestock. You've even got John Gibbons who was a chair of Biofarm for the last two years attacking regenerative farmers and backing Monbiot. Ye've failed Nots, in having him as a chair. He took your money and laughed in your face.

It's the movement of Veganism now ingrained in environmentalism and now Irish environmental speakers.

The war is lost imo.

And all because Monbiot said he ate a petri dish of bacteria made from hydrogen. No question of it from our esteemed campaigners bar it's the excuse and rallying point to attack regenerative farming with livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

No , that's more for grain , the red clover is supposed to give late nitrogen to the growing wheat .. ( got a bit carried away ) .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

My friend is a chef and reckons it's a fad. He says the size of the arse tells whether the person is actually a coeliac or not.

Lucerne is the only companion crop that ever worked for me. It’ll stay low and because it’s got a huge root it’ll recover quickly into a forage crop once the wheat is taken off. It doesn’t interfere in any way with the wheat, just pumps N, but after harvest once it’s not shaded out, it takes off.

Lablab and maize works very well also but it’s thirsty.

I must measure me arse. Does your mate reckon that smaller arses are proportional or inversely proportional to the susceptibility to coeliac disease?

I have to know.

• Advertisement

That is the type of shyte that I would rail against. I know this fella. He agrees that burning fossil fuels is what’s (supposedly?) causing climate change, but everyone should put their shoulder to the wheel to limit its impact. My argument is..if bovines didn’t cause it, then why should they pay for it?

If Apple or Google etc had a solution that ameliorated warming emissions then governments would be clambering all over themselves to throw money at them? Then throw that money to livestock farmers for that ‘quick and efficient’ solution .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I think he meant broad beams/wide loads result from devouring too much gluten

Small arse for coeliac. He says that the amount of them that are coeliac until the dessert serving appears and then they forget it is substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

That's gas 😁🙃 had heard similar off restaurant staff and owners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

having heard my (genuinely) coeliac friend talk about some experiences she's had with restaurant staff, i'd take their opinions with a rather large pinch of salt.

i'd have taken the opinions of restaurant staff on the topic with a large pinch of salt regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Your not supposed to question those people, they are our betters. It’s the farmers with their belching cows that are destroying the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

The sisters wedding in 2009 had 180 guests. 1 coeliac.

The brothers in 2019 had 210 guest. 19 coeliac.

We were just discussing this the other day, the brother is a lactose intolerant, slightly gluten sensitive, vegetarian. Maybe its just a coincidence but that sounds like a fad to me.

• Advertisement

Plant the lucerne year one. Nirvana will control the weeds. Take whatever cuts that the lucerne produces. Year two, when the lucerne is well established, cut to 4 inches, and direct drill the wwheat into the lucerne. The lucerne will not interfere with the wheat because it stays low. Once the combine has taken the wheat the lucerne takes off. Because of the root in lucerne it’s almost impossible to kill. Glyphosate at 9L/ha won’t kill it. In fact if weeds do creep into the lucerne a squib of glyphosate during winter dormancy works a treat.

Advertisement