Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black History Month Ireland, why?

Options

Comments

Because now we have a black community in Ireland, why not make them feel welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But we have no real black history or African history in Ireland ,

There free to learn from there own families , but it makes zero sense here ,to make people feel welcome ,they have been made feel very welcome for 30 years,

If they want to learn about black Americans they know where they need to go then , America

• Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

all the proponents of this notion need to watch this

Why would you think it's anything to do with black Americans?

It's called black history month Ireland, what does that.have to do with Americans? Why would black Irish or black people living in Ireland care about black Americans?

When does history start? We have a tv programme that shows history in Ireland for the last 50 years and it is very popular.

There are a lot of events or days for things, or weeks for things, that don't impact on me or my life at all.

Probably much like this one.

Why would anyone get worked up against it unless they are all worked up about black people in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Your the only one being offended by anyone here it seems, I couldn’t give two fuks what u think haha now leave it at that …

Come to the Midlands. That happens often after a funeral

Because there was a group of black students demanding that black history be taught here as part of the school carriculum ,

The posters they were using featured a number of black people from history ,they were all American .....

No irish ,no European , British or other only black Americans , Mandela Barely got a mention ,

While we have others on here claiming or suggesting racism

Dunno what that has to do with anything?Dunno

Do you have any issues with days for breast cancer awarness? Breast cancer awareness? Animal cruelty awarness? What about suicide awareness?

Children awarness?

Prostate cancer awarness?

Many many many more...........

Which events exactly do you have an issue with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Just give them their forty acres.....in Cavan.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Lol ,,

Is this your serious side or trying to funny ..

Remember why do we need black history month in Ireland,?

according to you to make them feel welcome

No, I don't care why we have a month or a week or a day about anything!

I'm only trying to answer your weird question as to we why have this week.

may be its to Make them feel welcome? I dunno? Why do we have any weeks or days or months about anything? To raise awareness?

Who knows? Why would it be a problem though?

Such has been the imposition of this wicked month that I had no idea we actually observed a Black History Month.

We've been doing so since 2010 apparently.

Only for this thread I'd still be totally oblivious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭archfi

The video on the RTE page doesn't appear to have much Irish history attached to it.

There are images of Christine Buckley, the American Frederic Douglass who visited here, a local politician and a woman athlete.

There are images of historical figures Obama, MLK and Rosa Parks - all American.

It did inform me that it's an American idea from 1926 (last 40 years being annual over there) and four countries USA, Canada, UK, Holland and now Ireland declare one month a year as Black History Month - RTE's version is called Black History Lessons.

It'll be somewhat interesting to see what the focus is for this series - it mentions hairstyles and vague historical achievements on the page and the video.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Frederick Douglas' experiences in Ireland are interesting. I would imagine that is the sort of thing they mean, not Samantha Mumba.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I've an issue with this sort of mindset, who is actively making them feel unwelcome? Let them legally come to work, study and live all they want but what special treatment should anyone of any colour get that they should be made to feel welcome, if they come here to live and if they get on well so be it, if they don't like it let them go somewhere else, there's plenty couldn't give 2 fcuks whether they feel welcome or not, if they're that needy that they need to feel welcome they can head somewhere more suited to their needs

But what harm if someone goes out of their way to make them feel welcome? Doesn't impact on my life if there is some awareness week to make some other ethnicity feel welcome. Does it impact you if it happens?

What difference does it make to the vast majority people here? And if it makes someone who is not ethnically Irish feel more part of society, what could be wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If current celebrities formed the basis of black history month I'd say black people would rather they didn't bother with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

My first reaction was why on earth do we need a Black month, we’re not a Black Country, we don’t have a history of black suppression, we had enough of our own problems to be going on with, black people were way off our radar.

But because we are a predominantly white country, or have been from the year dot until about 30 years ago, a black history month would not be a bad idea. We would learn about Leopold and what he did to the Congolese people, why Africa was carved up into neat little squared of countries, ignoring that the territory was tribal, why South America is full of people of African descent, why Jamaica is too. We would learn that powerful tribes sold weaker tribes to Europeans. We might find out about new gullible African countries being taken advantage of by USA and European countries since the sixties. Why there is so much poverty, so much corruption, why Africa is repeating our mistakes. That there are diverse peoples in Africa, South Africans are not the same as Nigerians who are not the same as Angolans. There is so much we do not know and it would be interesting to find out more.

But, if they are going to be Black USA centric, talk about police brutality, and how black female actors don’t get as much work as white actors or how only black girls can wear cornrows, and isn’t Obama great and half a dozen teenagers want their history taught in Irish schools, well then no, I’m not interested. Not interested in pandering to the latest whim just because someone thinks it’s the right thing to do and we’ll get a gold star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Black history month has nothing to do with making them feel welcome, of course.

It's about giving them an opportunity to spread their Critical Race Theory bullcrap.

What reaction could one have to that except laugh out loud. Let them go ahead and make fools of themselves if that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

We don't even like 1 orange day and now we're having a whole black month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Its pretty odd alright, think I saw the first black person in my town in Donegal in 2001/2 maybe? And the first black people into Ireland were what the Nigerian students in Trinity/College of Surgeons in the 60's? That is barely enough of a timespan to count as "History"

A certain minority in the country are absolutely obsessed with American media and mixed with a serious lack of knowledge of the history of their own country, this is the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

how 'bout the 12th of July...

remember that time we held a parade for them..

How the fúck does it make someone feel more welcome if you keep referring to them as "them" and putting a spotlight on how they're different?

You vitamin-D deficient clowns put everyone in boxes and patronise the shlte out of them like they're a new pet believing you're doing them a favour.

The fact it even exists means Asian people are normal Irish but black people never will be. That's the result of your attempts at inclusion.

Absolutely no harm at all but the inference from people such as yourself that if we don't make them feel welcome ergo they will feel unwelcome, let them like it or not but anyone coming to Ireland to earn their keep are welcome in my eyes, but I won't be getting the red carpet out for anyone, cead mile failte and all that jazz but unless contributing something positive to irish society then everything should be done to make them feel like there's no place for them here

No silly.

Raise awareness that they are different because of their skin colour. But while you raise the awareness and focus on the skin colour making them completely different, admonish people for treating them different because of their skin colour.

So to sum up..... Have a complete focus on the fact that their skin colour is different but don't treat the different because of it.

But focus on the skin colour.

But don't.

• Advertisement

Advertisement