Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with personal data at Screwfix

Options
  • 23-10-2021 2:13pm

Hi guys

Was in Screwfix shop today and could not buy anything because did not have account with them

Was trying to buy wooden dowels

The seller asked me for private information as home address,email,phone nr to keep them in company system but because I did not give it to him he said he will not sell me anything if I will not give him this details

I got leave shop with nothing

The conversation with representative was at proper maners with no "language" used

I simply said I will not give him my details because its private and personal information and I am not would not like share them with commercial institution

Can I produce complain to customer care or personal data breach institutions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You don't want to deal with them. No harm done. Go somewhere else.

They asked. You said no. I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Nj

Post edited by jodaw on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well.... You could em... Sign up on the website. There's that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

You could just make an address up and an email? Every airport or hotel I'm in thinks my name is Luke Skywalker and my email address is luke@skywalker.com :) Funniest was the time I tried to log on with those details in Heathrow and it told someone with same details was already on the system :D

But honestly, if it bothers you that much then simply shop elsewhere - that's what choice means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We'll see . Emm. You don't. They have a card you scan it . Done.

I can manage it . It's pretty seemless.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

If you don't like it don't use it. Simple as. People love a winge about anything these days.

The problem is they requesting my personal information which I would not like to share.

They simply put them rules above my rights to choice.Today they did not sell me dowels tomorrow they will not sell me bread.

The Facebook ,Ebay,HSE was all broke in and information about users been sold or shared on black market

As far as I know they're first and foremost a trade supplier, so they've always expected customers to set up an account with them. They've carried this through to include personal customers, which can seem inconvenient to a once-off shopper.

To answer your question, of course you can complain to customer care, but I don't see why you would. The staff member you dealt with didn't do anything wrong, they haven't harmed you or left you out-of-pocket.

As for 'personal data breach institutions', how was your personal data breached if you never gave it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

I don’t care for it either, if’s it trade only then fine but if they open their doors to the public then why insist on such a level of information.

I gave them their own eircode, a fake address and email, they do not require all this personal information to make a purchase, in my case 2.5 ltr of paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Just buy online from Screwfix, quick delivery and no troubles. Well apart from giving your details anyway. And as other poster said, if you don't like it, shop somewhere else, very simple.

Edit: You can produce as much of complaints as you want to anywhere you want. That's your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not getting the issue here. I'm delighted screwfix opened in my nearest town, fraction of the prices charged in other outlets.

My first order was click & collect, name, phone number (sms notification if required) email address, pretty much what's expected from any business that facilitates online ordering or click and collect. What personal data compromises are likely here . Good luck.OP with a complaint which would be pointless on two fronts.

A. Scewfix breached not rules, You wanted to purchase something, in order to process that request, you were asked perfectly legitimate questions in order to set up and account , in order to do business or order from screwfix. Screwfix is not a corner shop or supermarket or woodies (perish the thought) their business model requires a customer to set up an account .

B.You declined and shared any information , how do you propose to complain about something that hasn't happened 🤔, DPC don't do crystal balls, nor, now I think about it, do Screwfix!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Tell people If you are not happy buy somewhere else then is not right way do the business with today competition on market

Simply close your shop then if you can not sell your goods without registration

There is plenty scams already were getting people personal details as name and surname address phone nr email is enough to put people in trouble.

If Screwfix prefer get rubbish as not existing name address and other details then they will get it.I will go that way then.

It's a company being run for the purposes of profit. It's not a public service; you've no entitlement to buy their goods under your own terms.

If you really think they're not running their business the right way to compete on the market, then surely that means you'll have no trouble finding an alternative supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

What bothers me is that lately the amount of people queuing at the counter with no idea what they require, I thought it was purely click & collect for trades peaopo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ah bless, a company that is primarily a trade supplier wants very basic details for the op to set up an account.

Go to their retail arm then. It's called B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Above your rights? You have the right to provide them with their required info for service. You didn't want to provide this info which is your right so they used their right to refuse service. That's all that happened.

The irony is you probably give away more info signing up to news letters, hotel bookings, charity events.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I order on line and pick up. I have never been asked for ID beyond what is requested on the website and to show them the confirmation on the phone. Certainly have not been asked to repeat info out loud in the shop.

Don't run away with the idea that they are always the cheapest though, I went in looking for an item I hadordered and thought was in stock, turned out it would not be in till next week. Went to nearby builders providers and got the same stuff for considerably cheaper. Generally reasonable enough though, and they do tend to have stuff that others don't carry.

Oddly enough Screwfix don't seem to actually say that so to to speak, in the sense I can easily see why someone would just pop into one of their outlets and assume its like a normal building, plumbing, equipment, tool shop, when it's obviously not.

But I agree, I've noticed queues developing at my local outlet and a lot of it is people not quite understanding how Screwfix operates, account registration etc. I don't think its exclusively click and collect, I've done this a few times but on occasion I've been nearby, check their site, know what I'm looking for and just POP in, order and pick up, obviously I don't have to go through the account set up as they have my details etc

• Advertisement

They are officially a trade outlet and therefore can open up in business parks where rents are cheaper.

And requiring customer details to set up an account gets them around the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 oldblues

In practice it’s no different to being asked for your details to provide warranty record in a Curry’s, Harvey Norman or Jewellery shop…..

I bet if you search where you are registered with the same address / email / phone in your gmail you’ll find a lot more dubious places than a screw fix!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm a bit puzzled by the 'what did you expect?' sort of comments. being asked for your address to complete a purchase in a retail context is odd.

i know GDPR is knocked about a lot, usually incorrectly, but one of the core principles is that organisations should not collect more information than they need from customers. screwfix don't need my address to sell me a screwdriver across a counter.

my local chadwicks has only ever needed my address when i'm getting stuff delivered.

Your point re the screw driver technically correct but as Screwfix issue Vat receipts on all sales , they actually do require an address for the Vat receipt. The point your making is moot given the fact, you don't have to accept how Screwfix operate their business.

Their POS systems are built for every sale, not individual sale's, every sale is recorded for VAT purposes, you could argue they could just leave an address blank but that's not how they operate. A customer can either accept Screwfixs terms of business or walk away. There is absolutely no grounds for complaint here other than perhaps OP's dissatisfaction, something we all experience in our daily lives I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Earlier in the year I was in Screwfix in Sandyford. The exact same thing happened to me. I was asked for lots of personal information while queuing in a shop full of people. Everybody could hear the conversation between myself and the assistant.

I complained to Screwfix later about this. They said it should not have happened and apologised. They said that they would talk to their staff. They confirmed that I did not have to give this information when making a purchase.

I will see if I can dig up their response and post it but I imagine it is gone at this stage.

But it is a "trade business" that is also open to the public.

And this is how they operate.

Many electrical wholesalers are similar, but for small sales many will have a "cash sales" default account.

As I said, if you don't like it you can shop in their B&Q retail stores.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never been asked in various plumbing, electrical, or general builders providers, for my address for an over the counter purchase.

the 'if you don't like it' sounds like my mother when i would say to her 'my foot is sore', would respond with 'well, don't walk on it then'. it's just a way of refusing to engage with the question.

My point is

The details requested by Screwfix are personal and Confidential

This details can be stolen and used by criminals .We had enough criminal accidents when cyber criminals broke into the systems and asked for ransom.If you think your personal details worth nothing then you can go ahead spreading them on every corner

Just dont be surprise if you will see the Garda on your door with order to search your house.Not the Screwfix will have prove to Garda were your details been used ! Its You will have spend your time proving Garda that you did not do anything wrong !

What will happen when Screwfix system will be broke in and your data will be stolen ? The Screwfix will not tell you anything or will simply appologise !

2 years ago I had my email phone laptop broken in.It is OK spread your information before things will go wrong ! But when this will happen and your details will be used I am pretty sure you will share your information more carefull !

• Advertisement

Maybe your post belongs in the conspiracy theory thread.

Catastrophe syndrome comes to mind.

Advertisement