Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with personal data at Screwfix

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

Username - Revolution 1917.

Paints a bleak picture of a dystopian future where police arbitrarily ransack your home and ID is needed to buy bread.

Because someone at Screwfix, a trade supplier, told him he need to set up an account to purchase from them.

OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

One thing that I'm curious about but - you ever fly with Ryanair? If so, have you raised the same objections about having to sign up to myryanair to book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A customer's address is not required to process VAT on a retail sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They don't differentiate between Retail and Trade sale , the operate on the basis of Trade /Business custom, sales. As I've said, a perfectly acceptable and legitimate way to do business. Personal , non business customers can shop elsewhere or accept the Terms in which Screwfix operate under, its really not that difficult to comprehend.

I happen to be a personal DIY customer

I'll accept Screwfix is relatively new in some towns and perhaps there's a little getting used too but to suggest a complaint is warranted in the OP is just silly.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Trade counters that sell to the public usually have a 'cash sales' option for customers without an account, its been like that for years. Also, vat receipts are common from petrol stations, hardware shops etc, I dont recall ever being asked for address or email unless it was for a delivery. Why do Screwfix need that information? Its excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Don't Harvey Norman do the same? I think they ask for your details no matter how small the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Maybe its for product warranties, afaik Powercity and DID take a contact number but only if the customer wants to provide it, they wouldnt refuse to sell you a product if you declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And that's why I never shop there as they told me once that for the warranty to be valid they must have my number. (I laughed and walked out) Well that and their utterly ripoff prices especially on accessories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,043 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i thought you were perfectly OK with a business asking for your details for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭passatman86

Should have told him to get screwed

• Advertisement

Problem solved guys.

Bought some stuff at Screwfix Newry what is nearly next door from town I live

They did not bother about my details and accepted payment in cash by euros

Will go there today again to spend more.

Will use Screwfix on North for big spending the small things will buy locally 2-3 euros higher price does not bother me.

The Screwfix on South could continue play business asking people for personal details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Different regulations in northern Ireland regarding retailing from business parks.

Btw, your registration details with your name and address will probably be registered by cameras near the border and held on a UK government database

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭paul71

I don't understand, if you are paying by cash then just give them fake details.

My Name is Johm Smith, my address is No.1 O'Connell Street, Dublin 1.

Here is your money, thank you and Goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Twofeet

There are many companies that give the general public the option to complete a purchase as a 'guest' without registering or opening an account. Data is being misused, stolen or sold for profit. Furthermore, some companies will bombard you with offers, promotions, newsletters etc. So yea, I would be wary of sharing my data with everyone who asked for it for no good reason!

Advertisement