Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - anyone else's WiFi dropping out momentarily?

Options
  • 23-10-2021 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Our WiFi drops out for a few seconds, many times a day, and then comes back again. I'm not sure whether the problem is at the Virgin end or with the router. (We have their Hub 3.0 router.) Has anyone else experienced this?

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

There is an android app called 'Wifi Analyser' which lets you see what bands your neighbours wifi is on.

Could be interference.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think the issue could be the smart settings that changes the channels if it gets too congested (can't remember the name of it). You can switch it off in the router settings.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Onlyzeone

Is it just the WiFi or does it include wired connections as well?

Mine loses connecting for about 10-30 seconds a couple times a day, then back on without an issue again. The times it occurs seem to be always the same. If I am at home working it occurs in the early afternoon. But when I notice it most is at night. Between 11and 1 is when it occurs mostly.

Virgin have swapped the modem and nothing changed. This has gone on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We don't use any wired connections, so I don't know if there are dropouts there too. Too much trouble moving things round, finding an ethernet cable, waiting for ages etc. to see whether that's also dropping out.

I notice the dropouts happen on both my phones (not noticed it on laptops), and it never happened before. The WiFi drops out for 5-10 seconds many time during the day.

One of my phones is a UK one which I have to keep on "roaming". So when the Wi-Fi at home drops out I find I'm suddenly on roaming, eating up my meagre data roaming allowance. I'm not monitoring the phone WiFi icon all day so I don't know how long in total it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭corks finest

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Yah I'm experiencing the same. It seems to have gotten progressively worse in the past couple of weeks. Previously it was like once a day.. But more recently, it's happening 2/3 times a day. No idea what's causing it though 😔. Very frustrating

Thanks. I quite forgot about WiFi channels (years since I last had to fiddle). Ran WiFi Analyser and it indicated that the channels for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz were congested so I've changed to other ones.

Post edited by Louche Lad on

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yes, I think this was it - the smart setting was on by default and pointing to congested channels so I switched to manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hi Lads,

i'm in the same shoe, moved house, got new HUB 3.0 and 500mbit naked package. First few days the 5ghz was fine, then realized I need 2.4,too to be able to use my Epson wifi printer so I've added _2.4 to the 2.4ghz ssid, set a different password and all was working fine for a few days.

Then I wanted to check how to turn the HUB 3.0 into modem mode (remember seeing int when first entered it's admin page), but then it disappeared so I've done a reboot from the admin menu.

Now, since that day (last Sat) my 5ghz wifi channel setting keeps jumping back to a "default"", which all wifi analizers says congested with neighbour's SSI'ds. I do change it, Wifi analizer shows the new channel, wifi is flying (450/50 tested on my AC capable Realme X2 Pro phone), everything is snappy, but after a few mins, it's back to channel 44 - the congested one...

Auto channel selection is off for both 2.4/5ghz,smart wifi is off, too

Honestly, I'm out of ideas what could have gone wrong. Any tips,ideas? My only idea is to do a reset again, triggered from the admin page.

thanks

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I turned off the channel switcher and changed the channels to the least congested after using a WiFi scanner app to suss out the best channels to use.

But I'm getting just as many disconnects .. I think it's actually worse. Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking off turning off the 5ghz channel to see if it makes a diff..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Yep, been happening to me for a month or so now ... just drops long enough for the phone to cut connection and then back on a few seconds later.

VM couldnt find any faults!

Just changed channel there now so we'll see if that improves things

Post edited by Saint_Mel on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The wifi connection drops drove me crazy so I put into modem mode and now connect to a MikroTik router instead, no more wireless issues. The "Hub" is not the world's most capable router to say the least.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cscleison

It used to happen once or twice a day few months ago. Recently it got worse. Getting multiple disconnects on 5ghz from phones and laptops. The 2.4 and 5 have separate SSIDs and I do have custom channels set up but you can't pick anything higher than 50 or so for 5ghz, otherwise it reverses back to a default. Limiting channel width to 20/40mhz (keeping 80 out) seems to be more stable and I still reach max speed... But the router doesn't keep the bloody config after a reboot! 2.4 also seems more stable but I didn't bother testing long enough and max speed is significantly lower. Seems like the router is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

2 days on a different channel and no drops so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cscleison

Just an update, Hub 3 (the white one) is based on a Puma 6 chipset known to be problematic (can't post links, just google "hub 3 puma" and check the first entry).

Hub 4 uses Puma 7... not sure if it solves all problems but should be better. I've upgraded my plan to get the new router (they would not give me one having 250mb plan) and so far no wifi drops. Seems much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sfatih

Yeh, I had the same issue. We called tech support. The technician changed the old UPC port with the new one. He also checked the cable coming from the attic. He tightened it. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

Mind drops several times per day. It's a pain on zoom calls for work.

Advertisement