Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Bit Lost

• 23-10-2021 9:21pm

I'm not sure if this is the place but I just really wanted to say something cause it's driving me mad.

I was a LC student last year who was meant to take the exams. However, the whole crisis came along and we had to learnt at home. Up until that moment, I really enjoyed school. I was doing well in the subjects I really enjoyed. Online learning was good, it was nice and actually meant getting more done. The exams didn't go ahead last year as normal, and we had calculated grades. There was a deferred LC which I planned to sit but didn't.

I decided to go back and repeat this year. It really helped me be more comfortable around people. I really struggled after the calculated grades fiasco just as much as everyone and spent a lot of time very sad and broken.

I sat the exams and did well in most subjects, but I know if things had gone ahead as normal it would've been better. I just miss not knowing what could have been.

It's hard to talk about sometimes. I really hope to get back into education. I'm planning on going to college next year, but I feel lost. I don't know should I do it, even though I'm considering teaching as a potential career.

To anyone who was meant to sit the LC last year or did when it went ahead late last year or anyone else, what advice could you give?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

@IndieRight I found this posted in a fairly unused part of the site so have moved it to the Leaving Cert forum. I hope things are looking a bit better for you now but maybe someone will still have some advice for you. All the best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The "what might have been" feeling is hard to shake off but it is holding you back. Try to decide what you actually want now and then work out how to achieve it.

Use all the resources available, including your old school. They will be willing to help you move forward and perhaps a career guidance teacher will help.

Use the time until college starts to prepare for it. I hope you are doing some course or working during this time.

Have you deferred a place or do you need to apply to the CAO?

Just one word of advice added. The teaching profession is not an easy one and it can take ages to get a job which will pay enough to keep you, never mind a permanent contract.

Be proud of what you have achieved in the last year, coming through the most chaotic school year.

Advertisement