Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED ring light - USB cable replacement?

Options
  • 24-10-2021 1:34am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I'll give it a shot.

I've recently bought a lamp very similar to the one below in Lidl (the only difference is that mine has a flexible support that looks like an octopus' tentacle, complete with suction cups). Unfortunately my kitten took a shine to it and chewed the USB cable both before and after the switches.

Would it be easy enough to replace the USB cable(s) before and after the "remote" control, and how would I go about doing that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,358 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it USB-powered only? If so, that's only 5V. Is it still working?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for replying, Esel. Yes, it's USB powered only. It's still working, provided I keep tweaking the cable at the points where it's been gnawed...

If you can solder, you could use jacks from a donor cable. Depends if there is enough undamaged cable either side of the switch to solder to.

If you don't solder (or know someone who does.. 😉), a Phone/PC repair shop might do it for €10+ (if you supply cable).

You still face having it chewed again though...

Not your ornery onager

It may well work with a standard cable - losing the switch functions obviously. Try it, see if the kittens bites it again...

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could I use two USB cables, one from the lamp to the switch, and the other continuing on from the switch?

• Advertisement

No sockets on remote. Can you open it non-destructively? If so, soldering new cable should be much easier and neater.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement