Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes an Engineer?, BBC calling operators,engineers suddenly?

Options
  • 24-10-2021 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

BBC news presenters seem to be thanking and naming production staff at the end of programmes including the man or woman behind the glass on the faders,and calling them Engineers.

The system I recall was that these staff were TOs,Technical Operators, who might go on to be sound supervisors.

TAs,on the other hand were Technical Assistants, on there way to being Engineers eventually,after many years,a totally different animal.

I believe it is an offence in places like Germany to call yourself an engineer,if your not one,punishable by law.

The same BBC radio presenters recently telling us that Elon Musk was the "Founder "of Tesla, and on Evening extra radio ulster,that Alan Turin had been circumcised,and had Invented the Inigma Machine.Maybe I should calm down and not worry about such things and wait for the Sky Engineer to arrive!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Yeah, it's been a hot topic of discussion in the past and is probably one of the reasons that qualified professional engineers are undervalued and underpaid in this country and the UK.

Engineers Ireland stance on the subject is that the title 'Chartered Engineer' is protected, so pipe down (and keep paying your subscription fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Make that "Turin,was Castrated."sorry .After I pointed out,there was a difference in chemical castration,they stopped the "Thought for today" . Today programmed on radio 4 changed Musks title on the next bulletin 5 minutes to "Boss of Tesla"

Sloppy Juurnalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any monkey with a wrench or indeed a keyboard can call themselves an engineer in this country. You've everyone from those with a Bachelors degree to lads tinkering with a Ferguson 35 branding themselves as such. As @onrail mentioned, Engineers Ireland are toothless on this front and only care about their own precious subscription-only title and only recognise international equivalents when you sign up as a member of Engineers Ireland.

Then you have companies like Sky taking advantage of what seems like a professional title and calling their technicians with mere basic training provided by the term in order to justify their inflated call out fees, while paying the so called "engineer" about 27k per annum. I guess they're lucky that they didn't waste 4+ years in university to get the same title 🙄

• Advertisement

Not having quite "Piped down" ,on the film/doc/movie profession side ,these days if your a news cameraman in BBC,you can get a credit as DoP (Director of Photography " when you tell people your are a DoP.

Nobody cares,except DoPs.

Advertisement