Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - Automatic licence v's full licence quotes?

• 24-10-2021 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭
    M

A friend is starting out driving, it looks to me that there will be no need for them to ever have a manual licence looking at the future of where cars are going. For them to pass with a manual would likely take 6 months longer and possibly much longer than that, they are useless with the gears.

For insurance purposes would I be correct in saying that for a quote there is never a difference between the quote received for a restricted automatic licence and a non restricted one? I can't see any option to select a licence restricted to automatic cars when doing a quote so assume there's none. I am aware they will not be able to drive on such policy using a manual car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I get a few online quotes every year at renewal time and I've never seen it (unrestricted or auto only) asked on an insurance proposal form. Which, as you suggest, means that it probably isn't an issue which affects the quotation.

All policies have the condition that the driver must either hold a (current) licence to drive the vehicle or 'having held such a licence, is not disqualified from holding such a licence'. So as your friend would never have held a licence to drive a manual car, they wouldn't be covered to drive one under any policy.

Post edited by coylemj on

Advertisement