Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a job as a dentist in Ireland with an overseas degree from the eu?

• 25-10-2021 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I have an interest in pursuing career in Dentistry however the required points this year for both Dentistry courses in TCD and UCC were 625* and still went to a lottery. I actually have a degree in electrical and electronic engineering but I got a 2.2 so I'm unable to do graduate dentistry in UK/Ireland.

I'd be open to studying dentistry abroad but worried about the stigma associated with it and future job prospects. I know foreign graduates in the UK (since I live up North) have to sit the ore exam which is difficult and barely has a 50% pass rate.

I've looked into Dentistry in Spain, but its expensive and the all threads I've seen about going abroad to do medicine/dentistry seem to filled with new posters with low post counts which leaves me a bit suspicious.

Is it genuinely difficult to get a job as a dentist in Ireland with an overseas eu degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Perhaps contact the Dental Council who have responsibility for registering dentists in Ireland. They can give you more information.

And also take a good look at the Register of General Dentists - lots of dentists qualified abroad are on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are lots of foreign trained Dentists working in Ireland. You just need to check that the degree you get is recognised by the Dental Council here. As to whether it is more difficult to get a job, that depends. There is no doubt that graduates from Ireland/UK are preferred, but I believe the Smiles chain are always looking for Dentists. Once you have a couple of years experience, it won’t matter where you trained. But do take into consideration, the training tends to be 4-5 yrs and a lot of Clinics will look for applicants with either a couple of yrs experience or post grad qualifications, so it may be 7-10 yrs from when you start your training before you land a good job here. A lot of graduates used to go to the UK for a couple of years to get experience before coming back to Ireland to work. Good luck with it if you go ahead.

Advertisement