Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do Three Mobile assign public IP's (IMEI or other?)

• 25-10-2021 6:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I've been a longtime user of the Three 20 euro PAYG sim with an unbranded Huawei desktop router. I always got assigned non-public IPs such as 10.x.x.x. However, I recently bought a second hand Three Ireland branded B525 and noticed that (with the same sim card as above) I'm getting assigned public IP's, which was a pleasant surprise. The only PITA is that Three's B525 firmware doesn't have a bridge mode option, which would allow me to pass on the public IP to my main router. I'm wondering if I go ahead and flash a non-Three firmware, will I stop getting assigned a public IP? I'd rather stay away from doing a DMZ.

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Take a close look at the mobile network settings.

You're probably using a different APN if you're getting a different network configuration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

That's a surpise to me. A couple of years back, you could have had a different account with a different APN to give a public IP address.

As far as I remember 3internet would give you a public IP and 3ireland would give you the 10.x.x.x .

One other difference to look for: Do you get the public IP on 3G or 4G and what happens if you lock the connection to the other one without making any other changes? Those networks may be being treated differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Changing to 3G gives 10.x.x.x address on the WAN while 4G consistently gives 92.251.x.x, 31.200.x.x, 178,167.x.x addresses. It appears to be something specific to the router that has caused the change but identifying whether it is the firmware or imei is proving a challenge.

Jim

Were you consistently getting 4G on the old router? What model was the old Huawei?

What you've demonstrated so far is that you get a public IP address on the 4G network with the new router,

but you still get the same 10.x.x.x address you used to get when you use 3G.

It seens likely that a broadband device sold by 3 might get better treatment. It's more likely to be recognised as a router.

If that's the case it's very likely to be the IMEI being used to identify it, but you can't really be sure!

Can you put the SIM back into the old router and force it to 4G only to rule this difference out absolutely?

• Advertisement
Advertisement